Corrosion to BB on 2011 carbon Supersix

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Spikey

Corrosion to BB on 2011 carbon Supersix

Post by Spikey »

IMG_0428.PNGHi all,

Hoping for some advice, I’m thinking of buying a 3011 Cannodale supersix frame only but it has some corrosion to the BB, it’s a BB30 pressfit and as you can see by the photo the corrosion has gone through the first layer of aluminium. Do you think I’m mad buying it or would I get a few years out of it? Can I treat it with anything to halt the corrosion?
Any advice would be much appreciated

Cheers
Attachments
24C35BCC-475C-46AD-91A8-9DAA5470ECD0.png
Jamesh

Re: Corrosion to BB on 2011 carbon Supersix

Post by Jamesh »

Hi

It wouldn't put me off buying it if the price was right. - say £300.

My supersix has a bit of corrosion on the bb face.

I haven't had a problem with the bb30 till I greased it before lejog and it started squeeking. But has since quietened down. I have some new bearing which I should fit sometime.

I would freeze the bearings before putting them into frame then they will go in easier same with the chainset freeze it first and it will go into bearings easier.

Cheers James
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

No problem if you plan to run a regular 24mm crank as you can fit one of these:-

I should coco.
Darkman

Post by Darkman »

Worth mentioning that aluminium corrosion is actually aluminium oxide, not rust as you'd get with steel.

The aluminium oxide protects the aluminium and prevents further corrosion, so your best bet is to just leave it alone and there won't be a problem.
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
Is this a carbon fibre (CF) frame? You can get a destructive galvanic corrosion where aluminium components are in contact with CF. I can't see it in your photo, but have a close look at the joint line between the two materials on both sides. Manufacturers are well aware of this and use a "neutral" layer, e.g. glass fibre, to prevent direct contact between the two materials
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~