Tektro RL520V Drop Bar Brake Lever

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
niloc

Tektro RL520V Drop Bar Brake Lever

Post by niloc »

I have been very pleased with my "Tektro RL520 Drop Bar Brake Levers" since installing them about 4 years ago. But I have often wondered why the lever pivot pins tend to work their way to one side - and if they will ever actually fall out? So I recentralise the pins to avoid this! They don't seem to have a retaining grub screw as do some makes. I have tried and been unable to actually push the pins out - so there is probably is nothing to worry about. Another club member also finds his levers do the same thing. DAK why the pins move, if they all do and why? (I don't mean the QR pins!)
Brucey

Re: Tektro RL520V Drop Bar Brake Lever

Post by Brucey »

whether the levers themselves are offset (as many are) or not, when you pull on the levers there is a lateral component to the load on the pins. That load is not exactly reversed when the brake is released. So I'm not surprised there is a tendency for the pins to move if they are not located somehow.

Shimano levers used grub screws to locate the pivot pins for years, but many now use an 'E' clip instead. Probably, if necessary, you could add a groove and a clip to the pins on your Tektro levers.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

The centre section of the lever pivot pin has a reduced diameter. The pin is retained in position by a split plastic ferrule that is a tight fit on this reduced diameter and locks around it.

To dismantle the lever you need to open up the split ferrule with a small slotted screwdriver. You can then push the pin out with a suitable pin punch.
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

Less than a tenner at Planet X at the moment, pretty good deal;

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BLTEKRL52 ... ake-levers

Cheers