Mech hanger availability? Time to stock up?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
esuhl

Mech hanger availability? Time to stock up?

Postby esuhl » 12 Jan 2020, 7:08pm

I have a 2011 Decathlon B'Twin Rockrider 8.1 mountain bike. Until now, I'd been buying replacement rear mech hangers from Decathlon themselves, but they no longer supply them!

I found just ONE online shop in the UK (and one eBay seller) selling them. So I've stocked up for now.

But what about the future? The bike frame should last "forever", but Is it likely that at some point, suitable mech hangers will no longer be manufactured at all? Is it wise to buy a lifetime supply of mech hangers now before it's too late?!

Why ARE there so many different types of mech hanger anyway? There are only a few axle types and rear mech bolt types. It doesn't make sense (to me!) :?

NickJP

Re: Mech hanger availability? Time to stock up?

Postby NickJP » 12 Jan 2020, 7:30pm

There is an attempt to fix the problem, but not much use to anyone who already has a frame with a hanger specific to that frame:

https://bikerumor.com/2019/09/10/sram-introduces-universal-derailleur-hanger-concept-and-its-brilliant/

peetee

Postby peetee » 13 Jan 2020, 10:16pm

I have been asked to replace a lot of these hangers over the years and a lot of them are not fit for purpose because they are too fragile. Invariably they snap or bend too far allowing the mech to get swallowed by the wheel damaging spokes, chain and rear mech and sometimes the cassette and frame too. My advice would be to buy a machined hanger if one is available rather than the cheaper options that look and perform like they are made from silver painted play doh.
But I have to ask, what is it you are doing with your bike that you think you will need so many?
Current status report:
Back on two wheels in deepest Pastyland and loving every minute. Mission: to enjoy big, bad hills again.

tim-b

Postby tim-b » 14 Jan 2020, 6:37am

Hi
Take the hanger off, make a pattern, keep the pattern safe. If the worst happens try someone like this https://www.lasermaster.co.uk/metal-laser-cutting
I would also like to know what you're doing; I've never had to replace a hanger although I have straightened the odd one
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~