Mech hanger availability? Time to stock up?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
esuhl

Mech hanger availability? Time to stock up?

Post by esuhl »

I have a 2011 Decathlon B'Twin Rockrider 8.1 mountain bike. Until now, I'd been buying replacement rear mech hangers from Decathlon themselves, but they no longer supply them!

I found just ONE online shop in the UK (and one eBay seller) selling them. So I've stocked up for now.

But what about the future? The bike frame should last "forever", but Is it likely that at some point, suitable mech hangers will no longer be manufactured at all? Is it wise to buy a lifetime supply of mech hangers now before it's too late?!

Why ARE there so many different types of mech hanger anyway? There are only a few axle types and rear mech bolt types. It doesn't make sense (to me!) :?
NickJP

Re: Mech hanger availability? Time to stock up?

Post by NickJP »

There is an attempt to fix the problem, but not much use to anyone who already has a frame with a hanger specific to that frame:

https://bikerumor.com/2019/09/10/sram-introduces-universal-derailleur-hanger-concept-and-its-brilliant/
peetee

Post by peetee »

I have been asked to replace a lot of these hangers over the years and a lot of them are not fit for purpose because they are too fragile. Invariably they snap or bend too far allowing the mech to get swallowed by the wheel damaging spokes, chain and rear mech and sometimes the cassette and frame too. My advice would be to buy a machined hanger if one is available rather than the cheaper options that look and perform like they are made from silver painted play doh.
But I have to ask, what is it you are doing with your bike that you think you will need so many?
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
Take the hanger off, make a pattern, keep the pattern safe. If the worst happens try someone like this https://www.lasermaster.co.uk/metal-laser-cutting
I would also like to know what you're doing; I've never had to replace a hanger although I have straightened the odd one
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
esuhl

Post by esuhl »

peetee wrote:But I have to ask, what is it you are doing with your bike that you think you will need so many?

I seem to bend them at least once a year. Either I drop the bike (with heavy panniers on the back), or someone "mistakes" the cycle parking area for a trolley park, and rams a shopping trolley into the side. :roll:

I have a Park Tools mech alignment tool, but I find it tricky to get hanger back in shape, especially when it's bent on multiple axes... and with metal like Play Doh! It's so much easier to just replace it with one I know to be straight.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Get a IGH equipped bike :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

FWIW if you find they bend too easily then you could make an external reinforcement plate from thin (stainless?) steel, such that it is clamped by the rear wheel and by the rear mech mounting bolt. Even 1mm thickness would make a difference if it is well sandwiched/clamped to the extant hanger.

Obviously the bending force, if high enough, is then likely to bend something else instead, but it may be a better compromise for your circumstances.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hudson1984

Post by Hudson1984 »

https://www.mountainbikecomponents.co.u ... battaglin/

problem solved.

had an issue with my 2012 Battaglin, found the replacement within 30 seconds, ordered, delivered next day - perfect fit.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

If I was bending them as often as that I'd probably consider trying a derailleur protector along the lines of this sort of thing:
211888_2.jpg
211888_2.jpg (29.72 KiB) Viewed 766 times
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

just ordered 2 spares,as I bent one a couple of weeks ago, it straightened out ok, but considering this bike should last another 20 years, it'll see me out. Mine was a type K.( or CC 003),
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

esuhl wrote:
peetee wrote:But I have to ask, what is it you are doing with your bike that you think you will need so many?

I seem to bend them at least once a year. Either I drop the bike (with heavy panniers on the back), or someone "mistakes" the cycle parking area for a trolley park, and rams a shopping trolley into the side. :roll:

I have a Park Tools mech alignment tool, but I find it tricky to get hanger back in shape, especially when it's bent on multiple axes... and with metal like Play Doh! It's so much easier to just replace it with one I know to be straight.

Do you want to sell the alignment tool then?
Richard M
Cardiff
Mattyfez

Post by Mattyfez »

There's a company called BEDT that have a big catalogue of hangars. Think there's one or two others as well, and they can machine a custom one if they don't have the pattern and you send in your damaged one. That's obviously a bit more pricey though.

https://www.mountainbikecomponents.co.u ... brand=betd

I tend to bend or snap one now and then on my MTB.. But not that many, and after a few I'm super careful now.. That said I know they are a sacrificial part, but they do seem to be made of cheese a lot of the time. I think they could be made a little bit stronger.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Might be better not to use a robuster hanger, if it gets bashed it might survive, but the frame might be bent instead
Just like wheels, spokes are not too strong, they break and can be easily replaced :wink:
Hub flanges rarely break, I did break one once :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Mattyfez

Post by Mattyfez »

Yeh I completely agree.. But mech hangars are a little bit too fragile I think. Or certainly some OEM ones. Not all are equal.

I think they could be made a little more robust whilst still remaining a sacrificial component, weak enough to break or bend before the bike frame takes a hit, but strong enough not to bend if you dropped the bike on the floor.
peetee

Post by peetee »

Mattyfez wrote:Yeh I completely agree.. But mech hangars are a little bit too fragile I think. Or certainly some OEM ones. Not all are equal.

I think they could be made a little more robust whilst still remaining a sacrificial component, weak enough to break or bend before the bike frame takes a hit, but strong enough not to bend if you dropped the bike on the floor.

The problem arises where aftermarket suppliers create a range of hangers from the same material without testing them on the bikes. No surprise really as the expense and trouble of this would make the whole venture unviable.
I have seen an example that bent so easily that the mech wraped right round the cassette and collided with and gouged the stays of the frame.
Having straightened a lot of hangers over the years I tend to categorise them as one of two types:
1. Worthy: Machined billets of aluminium, recognisable by sharply defined edges, crisp thread and engraved part No.
2. Cheese: Moulded blobs of aluminium with rounded edges and stamped part No.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.