Rapidfire Front Shifter

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
tempsperdu

Rapidfire Front Shifter

Post by tempsperdu »

Trying to set up my FD on new build 2x11 XT gear train. The front Rapidfire 11 speed covers 3x and 2x with a selector marked 3x or 2x according to the Shimano Tech Document except mine does not have a selector. I think my previous one was the same but never had a problem getting it to work properly. Even switching to 3x from 2x was easy once I found the packing piece in the mech.
Anyway I can’t seem to get this set up ‘tight’ so its giving me 3x movement on the shifter but staying on the 2x chainrings. It’s almost as if there is something compressing/stretching in the line. Hope its not cable stretch as these are new high spec Jagwire inners and outers. The RD is using the same cable type and not a problem. The RD dialed in properly on all gears after I reset it today.
Before I rip the whole thing off and re-install any suggestions of things to look at or try?
gregoryoftours

Re: Rapidfire Front Shifter

Post by gregoryoftours »

Have you used docs to double check that your cable is clamped correctly at your front mech? Also I'd take the cover off the shifter if possible to check that there is no issue with the cable at that end.
Brucey

Re: Rapidfire Front Shifter

Post by Brucey »

sanity check;

-check the part numbers are actually compatible with one another
- check the chainline you are using
-check the cable routing, especially into the pinch bolt.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~