which Pump

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Hudson1984

which Pump

Postby Hudson1984 » 21 Jan 2020, 3:43pm

As it says - which pump??

I have a good track pump at home but wanted something to take with me on rides. I've never used C02 before - should I?

flat tyre

Re: which Pump

Postby flat tyre » 21 Jan 2020, 3:53pm

After many years carrying a near useless mini pump plus 3 CO2 bulbs "as back up" I finally saw sense and bought a zefal frame fit pump. This does actually work and can get the tyre up to 85psi quite easily. Also, after removing the bracket for the mini pump and no longer carrying the Co2 bulbs plus injector, there is a nett weight saving of 50gms!

fastpedaller

Postby fastpedaller » 21 Jan 2020, 5:32pm

Ok if it's easy to fit a full length frame fit pump. I've never used CO2, but my gut feeling is that it could run out, which is more likely than a pump breaking (which is possible of course). I recently bought a 'Pump up the volume' from PX to replace the mini pump on my bike.I've only tried it on a flat tyre in the garage, but it pumps a lot easier than other mini pumps I've used because it has 3 'sections', thus effectively increasing the length.

mjr

Postby mjr » 21 Jan 2020, 6:35pm

Yes, I carry a telescoping mini pump on short rides too. On tour, I've sometimes taken a mini foot pump instead.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

scottg

Postby scottg » 21 Jan 2020, 6:58pm

Hudson1984 wrote:As it says - which pump??

I have a good track pump at home but wanted something to take with me on rides. I've never used C02 before - should I?

CO2 or minipumps, show good faith on group rides, then some fellow will lend you a Zefal or Silca frame pump.
No one wants to stand around and watch someone struggle to get 60psi into a tyre with mini.pump.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Why not the best, buy Cyclo-Benelux.

Mike Sales

Postby Mike Sales » 21 Jan 2020, 7:07pm

Zefal HP. Choose the length which fits your frame.

bazzo

Postby bazzo » 21 Jan 2020, 7:18pm

Worth carrying a Presta to Schrader adapter, under £2. As well as a pump.You can then use a garage airline to get a reasonable pressure.

pwa

Postby pwa » 21 Jan 2020, 7:21pm

Slightly bigger than some mini pumps so check your bag is long enough, but if it is these pumps are much easier to use than most. You use them like track pumps so one end is on the ground and you press down into the ground, which is less of a strain than holding a pump off the ground. And they get to a good pressure. Not cheap but very nice. Used one recently and it was excellent.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-micro-f ... -abs-pump/

foxyrider

Postby foxyrider » 21 Jan 2020, 7:38pm

my current go to is a Lezyne mini with a hose. Gets a good pressure quite quickly, can be used on schraeder or presta (or woods even) valves and the two i have have been very reliable. Not cheap, i think the newest one was best bit of forty notes but well worth the money.

I do have frame fit pumps on a couple of 'old skool' bikes - my biggest issue is and historically always was, knocking the damn things off when moving the bike.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!

willcee

Postby willcee » 21 Jan 2020, 7:58pm

PLUS 2.. Myself and my chum both carry LEYZNE mini pumps and have done so for some years as a back up for the CO2 Which dependant on practice and how you hold your tongue!!! work well or are a total effing waste of money and space.. I have a genuine innovations which when i tried it having read the buyers blurb did operate sweetly in the shed, its now modded to enable use of small and long tanks and takes either threaded or smooth [ a lump of wooden dowel cut to size bears on the shorter cartridge] and on my last run out mid december before my last hip operation , on a little used E steed, forgot pump, co2 ,tools every bloody thing ....and had a on the road puncture my first last year... only 4 miles from home but the co2 that Davy had didn't work lost half of it to the atmosphere, he had wrong size tube for my tyre.... talk about being caught with your drawers down.. we managed home, tyre and tube destroyed.. never again, I went off for my hip op, he went on the net and bought a new Leyzne mini.. he couldn't find his previous one in his bike shed...will... not yet back in the saddle

PH

Postby PH » 21 Jan 2020, 8:52pm

I'm another one who likes the mini track pump design, in my case the Topeak Morph. They come in various flavours, high volume or high pressure, with or without a gauge. I've had my oldest one a few years and on group rides have occasionally used it to finish off other peoples inflations after they've had enough with their own pump. I ought to be on commission, several people who've seen how easy it is have gone on to buy one.
https://www.topeak.com/global/de/produc ... d-morph--g

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 21 Jan 2020, 8:56pm

pwa wrote:Slightly bigger than some mini pumps so check your bag is long enough, but if it is these pumps are much easier to use than most. You use them like track pumps so one end is on the ground and you press down into the ground, which is less of a strain than holding a pump off the ground. And they get to a good pressure. Not cheap but very nice. Used one recently and it was excellent.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-micro-f ... -abs-pump/

Seconded,great pump!
There's two versions HP(High Pressure low volume)for small section tyres and LP(Low Pressure high volume)for tyres over say 35mm.Take your pick you won't be disappointed :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

pwa

Postby pwa » 22 Jan 2020, 8:03am

Whilst I did recommend the excellent Lezyne mini track pump (and expect the similar Topeak pump to be a good pump) I did once do a comparison test with one of my Zefal HPX pumps and found very little to choose between them in actual use. The HPX is a first class choice if you have the sort of frame that can easily take it.

mcshroom

Postby mcshroom » 22 Jan 2020, 12:23pm

Another vote for the Topeak Morph pumps. I've got two Road Morphs which almost always are strapped to my touring bike and any bike I'm Audaxing on. I found a Blackburn pump mount that allowed me to run it down the downtube, as my only complaint is the mount supplied which takes up a bottle cage point, or has to be zip tied on.

Marcus Aurelius

Postby Marcus Aurelius » 22 Jan 2020, 12:47pm

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-micro-f ... ith-gauge/

I’ve been using one of these for many years. It’s very good.
CO2 inflators are fine in an emergency, but they can be tricky to use, as the screw on head type have a habit of unscrewing the valve cores as you try to remove them, if you screw then down too much. The press on type have a habit of spitting their rubber washers out, or the washers split. Also you should empty the CO2 out of the tube when you get a chance, and pump it back up with a normal pump.