Alternative to gpsies.com for editing gpx on a map?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Sweep

Alternative to gpsies.com for editing gpx on a map?

Post by Sweep »

For a fair few years I have produced gpx point to point routes (ie just marking turns with routepoints or trackpoints - no routing needed by the garmin) by:

Producing a route in cylce-travel or obtaining from somewhere

Then

Importing it into gpsies.com which:

displayed the route on a suitable map - like OSM
showed me the total number of points
had an auto "slimming" mode to cut the points down.
Showed all the points so that I could manually chop out what I didn't need
Allowed me to Fine tune-position all remaining points so that they sat accurately on the road or at turns

No naming/numbering of points needed as I do this later using caret (works offline) on a chromebook.

All worked fine - have ridden over 150 mile rides, often at night, using this system and not a wheel wrong.

But now gpsies.com has become alltrails and the routes it displays don't show all the points for editing.

Anyone know some other online site (hopefully free) that will do what gpsies.com used to do for me?

If I've been less than clear and anyone needs more info before advising, then just fire away.

EDIT - I should add that I use a chromebook.
Last edited by Sweep on 23 Jan 2020, 7:56pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sweep
cotswolds

Re: Alternative to gpsies.com for editing gpx on a map?

Post by cotswolds »

As nobody has suggested a website that does what you want can I suggest an alternative approach - an offline programme called gpsprune which I think does everything you want.

You can load and display GPX tracks and display them on an OSM background;
it displays the total number of points and other statistics about the track;
it has a configurable compress track feature;
and you can zoom in and edit points, delete them or drag and drop them to tweak the position.

It will also talk directly to a garmin.

It's a Java program which I think will run on anything but you might need to look up how to install it.

I'm not familiar with either gpsies or caret I think it may be suitable to replace both of them.

A few pics from using it:
Before compression:
Selection_066.png
Selection_065.png
Selection_065.png (5.91 KiB) Viewed 1135 times

After compression:
Selection_067.png
Selection_069.png
Selection_069.png (5.8 KiB) Viewed 1135 times

After tweaking:
Selection_068.png
Selection_068.png (13.91 KiB) Viewed 1135 times

I don't have reason to use it much, but my impressions of it are all positive.
cotswolds

Post by cotswolds »

As nobody has suggested a website that does what you want can I suggest an alternative approach - an offline programme called gpsprune which I think does everything you want.

You can load and display GPX tracks and display them on an OSM background;
it displays the total number of points and other statistics about the track;
it has a configurable compress track feature;
and you can zoom in and edit points, delete them or drag and drop them to tweak the position.

It will also talk directly to a garmin.

It's a Java program which I think will run on anything but you might need to look up how to install it.

I'm not familiar with either gpsies or caret I think it may be suitable to replace both of them.

A few pics from using it:
[The forum seems to be messing up the images and muddling them, so the captions may be wrong, but they should give you an idea of what it looks like]
Before compression:
The attachment Selection_066.png is no longer available
Selection_066.png

After compression:
Selection_066.png
Selection_066.png

After tweaking:
Selection_066.png

I don't have reason to use it much, but my impressions of it are all positive.,
Attachments
Selection_069.png
Selection_069.png (5.8 KiB) Viewed 1128 times
Selection_068.png
Selection_068.png (13.91 KiB) Viewed 1128 times
Selection_067.png
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Many thanks for your post cotswolds - so good you posted it twice :)

I checked that out.

One of my chromebooks will run linux in some way and will also run android apps. I found that when I ran that file it usually, by some inherent wisdom beyond me, took me to the android OSMand ap I had installed. And it did seem to have acquired - thanks to the pairing of OSMand with that prog of yours - some sort of route point editing function that looked like the pics you posted.

I haven't done too much work with it yet but it does look promising so many many thanks.

I will do some tinkering.

Only issue (personal to me) is that that chromebook is my larger one which I wouldn't tour with. My smaller one doesn't have linux or android capability and I don't think will ever update to that point. But doubtless newer models will.

I have in the meantime discovered that there is a workaround with the offending alltrails.

I can view the imported gpx and then plonk waypoints along it as turn markers, later converting them to simple route or trackpoints by doing a search and replace using my trusty offline caret editor. I had assumed that when I exported the tinkered with route from alltrails, the waypoints would be scattered along the route amongst a mega amount of superfluous trackpoints. But when exporting the file alltrails puts them all at the beginning - allowing me to just hack the screeds of trackpoints off the bottom.

Thanks again cotswolds for taking the time to post with all those pics - it seems I have two ways forward.

Other contributions welcome of course and I will answer any questions anyone has of me.

Must admit I was surprised by the general lack of response, just like last time I posted on a similar topic. Is this a hotbed of paper map users? At night?
Sweep
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

I'm a bit lost here ([emoji23] sorry): I'm not sure what you're achieving with what seems to be an awful lot of time and effort? To plot routes I use RideWithGPS, in which you simply click on the map and it draws a line to that point (either straight or following the road). Looks very much like the examples posted above. The Wahoo app then picks up the route automatically and it's ready to follow whenever - a simple fifty mile route will be ready to follow in five minutes tops.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my CLT-L09 using hovercraft full of eels.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

elPedro666 wrote:I'm a bit lost here ([emoji23] sorry): I'm not sure what you're achieving with what seems to be an awful lot of time and effort? To plot routes I use RideWithGPS, in which you simply click on the map and it draws a line to that point (either straight or following the road). Looks very much like the examples posted above. The Wahoo app then picks up the route automatically and it's ready to follow whenever - a simple fifty mile route will be ready to follow in five minutes tops.

I fear that piccy is you with your eyes closed - I use a garmin, not an app on a phone. Much prefer the standalone garmin for reasons I won't bore you and others with.

Isn't ridewithGPS paid for?

Also, I like cycletravel's routes.

Also, I always check routes in detail on a map anyway to see that I'm not being taken anywhere odd or tricky.

Since I am sometimes riding over 100 miles and sometimes in the depths of night this is important.

Also I use point to point routing just marking turns - I have no desire to look at a coloured line following the road all the time or to have anything talking in my ear. I can often relax for 5km or so knowing that that's when the next turn is.
Sweep
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

Sweep wrote:
elPedro666 wrote:I'm a bit lost here ([emoji23] sorry): I'm not sure what you're achieving with what seems to be an awful lot of time and effort? To plot routes I use RideWithGPS, in which you simply click on the map and it draws a line to that point (either straight or following the road). Looks very much like the examples posted above. The Wahoo app then picks up the route automatically and it's ready to follow whenever - a simple fifty mile route will be ready to follow in five minutes tops.

I fear that piccy is you with your eyes closed - I use a garmin, not an app on a phone. Much prefer the standalone garmin for reasons I won't bore you and others with.

Isn't ridewithGPS paid for?

Also, I like cycletravel's routes.

Also, I always check routes in detail on a map anyway to see that I'm not being taken anywhere odd or tricky.

Since I am sometimes riding over 100 miles and sometimes in the depths of night this is important.

Also I use point to point routing just marking turns - I have no desire to look at a coloured line following the road all the time or to have anything talking in my ear. I can often relax for 5km or so knowing that that's when the next turn is.
Free version of RWGPS usually on the PC at home, stand alone* Wahoo Elemnt for the route, which just pops to life whenever there's a turn imminent. Otherwise there's no noise or lights. RWGPS has a bunch of maps to check the route, including OS Outdoors and Cycle. Pretty sure that covers everything you need with no expense and considerably less faff, unless I'm still missing something. You can import a route into RWGPS and check/edit it to suit, choose turn by turn directions or not etc etc

I fear I sound like either a salesman or fanboy, but it has been fantastically useful for me in strange places [emoji23][emoji106]

*although it will stay connected to a phone if you like, display texts, broadcast your whereabouts to a loved one etc.

Sweep

Post by Sweep »

elPedro666 wrote:I fear I sound like either a salesman or fanboy,

In my experience, many Wahoo users are.

I long ago concluded that it's some sort of cult.

Stand-alone?

It needs a phone doesn't it?

Anyway I prefer my garmin - runs off replaceable AAs as well and doesn't try to be uber small.

I wouldn't touch anything running off built-in batteries.

And I can use my garmin for walking round London.

Has its own free maps - lots of them.

Anyway, enjoy your wahoo and cycling, back to the topic.
Sweep
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

The Wahoo isn't really relevant, just an example of how beautifully simple the process can be with the joys of wireless connections* I'm sure you can export from RWGPS to your Garmin and I >think< (hope) it does everything you're asking for in one simple step, for free...

*okay, my cult leader insisted that I mention it [emoji1]

Sweep

Post by Sweep »

elPedro666 wrote:The Wahoo isn't really relevant, just an example of how beautifully simple the process can be with the joys of wireless connections* I'm sure you can export from RWGPS to your Garmin and I >think< (hope) it does everything you're asking for in one simple step, for free...

*okay, my cult leader insisted that I mention it [emoji1]

The problem isn't getting the route into the garmin. Am happy to use a wire.

It's rather a matter of editing what comes out of the routeplanner..

Anyway, am working on it - see above.
Sweep
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

RWGPS is very good (I drag files onto an eTrex, just FYI). Mainly PC, some Android phone use. Paid for is a little better, not a huge step. I do recommend trying it out.

I don't THINK it has the same point-by-point and point-reduction stuff* that you use. I believe BikeHike does - it used to be my "go-to" tool; but every tool has pros-n-cons, it's hard to say what you'll like best.

*You're a dying breed, working this way, Sir - very 2008!
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

mattheus wrote:RWGPS is very good (I drag files onto an eTrex, just FYI). Mainly PC, some Android phone use. Paid for is a little better, not a huge step. I do recommend trying it out.

I don't THINK it has the same point-by-point and point-reduction stuff* that you use. I believe BikeHike does - it used to be my "go-to" tool; but every tool has pros-n-cons, it's hard to say what you'll like best.

Thanks for post (not being sarky)
Will maybe check it out, though seem to remember it being hard to work with.
What do you mean by dying breed?
Honest question.
Sweep
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Simply that I think very few riders bother tweaking their tracks at point-level these days. Possibly a few reasons:
point-reduction is less common because device storage size has gone up (and more kept in the cloud these days!)

Before everyone had maps on their GPS, it was safest to put points only at turns, and tweaked to be as idiot-proof as possible when you got there; with a map, you can figure out where to go even if your track has wandered off the "actual" road a bit.

Google-maps plus gmaps-to-gpx plug-in used to be state-of-the-art back then!
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

mattheus wrote:RWGPS is very good (I drag files onto an eTrex, just FYI). Mainly PC, some Android phone use. Paid for is a little better, not a huge step. I do recommend trying it out.

Ah, that goes some way to explaining my non-understanding of what we're trying to achieve; having only switched from paper maps a couple of summers ago, storage, battery life and suchlike has never been an issue.

Is point by point different to 'Draw Line' (as opposed to 'Follow Roads') on RWGPS? I use Draw Line to connect points when drawing offroad sections of routes. Particularly like being able to toggle this and swap maps mid plot.