Off the Shelf or Self Build

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Hudson1984

Off the Shelf or Self Build

Post by Hudson1984 »

Sorry, making some quite repetitive threads...

Anyway, popped down the LBS and cyclecross is definitely the route I want to take with my bike - nothing more than because it allows wider wheels and I think I'd really just need to swap tyres if I wanted to do something more offroad, then back to slicks for the road - or in worst case scenario - two sets of wheels and tyres (better than two bikes)

Now, planet X do one off the shelf for £1,000

my question is - can I do it better, cheaper - using second hand parts?

I want to be more road spec than cross with my groupset, so a double crank rather than single and wheel and tyre setup will be road based but using disc brakes etc to fit the frame.

I would like to use the Planet X XLS frame - mainly because it's fully carbon - and looks cool - and is a decent price (but feel free to suggest something else)

So, how about a forum project - what can you build? what would you build? or should I just buy one off the shelf (less fun to be honest)

Happy to scour ebay etc. Like the idea of a Gossamer crank - seem to be alot 2nd hand in great knick for less than £50 - that's a fraction of new price.

Anyway.... please help, would really love to get started
Hudson1984

Re: Off the Shelf or Self Build

Post by Hudson1984 »

I'm thinking:

Frameset
Planet X XLS Frame and Forks.....£349.99
Planet X carbon seatpost...........£49.99

Groupset
find something on ebay I guess....£
Wheels
Shimano RS170 Wheelset...........£114.99
Tyres
Gatorskin Tyres.......................£65.98
Handlebar
FSA handlebars.......................£24.99
Stem
FSa Gossomer Stem..................£35.54
Bottom bracket
to suit crank bought at top.........£

Now that's £641.48 before I even get the groupset and most of the fiddly bits..... eek
Nebulous

Post by Nebulous »

Off the shelf will be cheaper but you get someone else's idea of a bike.

With self build you choose the configuration but this will undoubtedly end up more expensive than you had planned. After all who doesn't choose the sparkly bits when faced with the choice ;-)
Ride, Eat, Sleep. Repeat
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
You'll need to spend £60 on the frameset just to get it ready to accept parts, e.g. steerer bung, headset and a seatpost clamp
Buy off the shelf; you'll get a new bike with new parts and a full warranty. Don't underestimate the value of having items fitted correctly with adjustments made such as facing BB shells or whatever, and don't forget that used cyclocross kit will probably have been abused in mud and water
The wheels and tyres tend to be where manufacturers save money, but they'll do the job until you need to go for your choice of tyres
Regards
tim-b
PS PX have a perpetual sale on in some section or other, it can't be too long before the 'cross season is over :wink:
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
Hudson1984

Post by Hudson1984 »

I think - in reality cross seems to be an expensive route to a nice bike. Disc brakes etc just make the group set and stuff more than I want to spend.

So, think I’m better off sticking with a normal carbon frame and rim brakes. Saves on wheels and the group set is much easier to find at a better price.
niggle

Post by niggle »

I have just started building something very similar, based on a new Paul Milnes X-Wing cx aluminium frame with canti bosses, a bit of a bargain at £199 delivered to my door. They have a few different alloy cx frames for canti brakes at similar prices in certain sizes here, headset and seat clamp included (and they were happy to supply mine with "standard" ones without the brake cable hangers as I will be using mini v-brakes): https://www.paulmilnescycles.com/cycloc ... rtby=price They have been very helpful and when they sent me the geometry details I was pleased to see surprisingly relaxed frame angles (73 deg seat tube in a small frame size is not common in cx and gravel bikes).

The thing is I have lots of parts already: tyres (slick and treaded ones), tubes, rim tape, brakes, flexi adjuster noodles, saddle, front wheel (with dynohub), hub, rim and correct spokes for the rear wheel, rear derailleur, cassette, chain, bars, a couple of different length stems one of which I think will fit (if not about £25 for a new one, but that could also be needed on a complete new bike). STIs (very expensive to buy new), dynamo lights, even got the bar tape and most of the new cables I will need.

I have picked up a cheap (£8 posted) used Easton seatpost with a big layback. I have had to order a new front derailleur for £15 as the one I wanted to use is 31.8mm clamp size and the X-Wing needs a 34.9mm. A custom build chainset is costing me about £85 inc BB. Add some SKS alloy mudguards for £38 and BMX linnear brake cable outer housing for £4 and I think I am done for £350 in total unless I do need a new stem.

If you go through the list of parts I already have and those I have had to buy, then add up what you need to buy, you can then compare it with the off-the-peg bike closest to what you want, plus the cost of any changes you want to make to that.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Hi

Have just built a focus izalco.
Frame £250
Tiagra sti £75
Carbon seat post £15
FSA chainset focus branded £30

Most other stuff I already had.

Depends if you like a brand new 2k bike?

I sleep better at might knowing it's cost me £250 for the frame!

It depends if your a builder or a rider!

I doubt I could have built it from scratch and new for £750 - the price of a discounted supersix tiagra.

Cheers James
Hudson1984

Post by Hudson1984 »

I definitely think new would cost me more than the bike...namely a divorce haha.

I always prefer a bargain, and with the amount of riding I do it's just not worth it.

My current bike - bianchi via nirone cost me £100 and it certainly does the job but there's no bells and whistles to it. Be nice to have something I look forward to riding.

I don't mind buying a new frame if I can't find a good 2nd hand one. But the rest yeah, ebay all the way
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

I agree - was the only way of getting a new bike!!

Frames don't count as bikes.

Go for it.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers James
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Hudson1984 wrote:My current bike - bianchi via nirone cost me £100 and it certainly does the job but there's no bells and whistles to it. Be nice to have something I look forward to riding.

Get your name put on a top-tube sticker.
bgnukem

Post by bgnukem »

Every time I've built a bike up from separate frameset and parts its cost me more than a complete bike would cost off the shelf. Obviously there are cost saving benefits to be had buying a complete bike as the manufacturers may thousands of them.

In fairness though most of my builds have used all new parts.

I'd suggest if you have enough used parts to kit out most of the new frameset it'd be worthwhile, provided you check how many parts will fit the new frameset, e.g. are headset, bottom bracket, seatpost sizes the same? Usually there's some faffing about required getting e.g. gears to index properly and mudguards to fit, etc....

An alternative course of action would be to buy the frameset you want in the form of a lower-specced bike then upgrade selected bits with your own components, and sell the stuff you remove from the bike, or keep it and use it on a lower spec bike, maybe a commuter.
dim

Post by dim »

with your £1000 budget:

here's a Miyata 1000 on ebay .... rare as hen's teeth, and this is only the 2nd one that I have seen in the UK (I own the other one which was bought from a seller in Germany) .... regarded by many as the finest production touring bike ever made and highly sought after in the USA ... this one is in mint condition... not sure if it's your size though

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MIYATA-1000-Grand-Touring-Series-Road-Bike-Hand-Made-In-Japan-40years-old-NEW/392648392535

takes wide tyres and can be customized over time to suit you own needs .... a frame of this quality will cost in excess of £3000 from a custom framebuilder.

Mine has been upgraded with lighter wheels etc etc
horizon

Post by horizon »

bgnukem wrote:Every time I've built a bike up from separate frameset and parts its cost me more than a complete bike would cost off the shelf. Obviously there are cost saving benefits to be had buying a complete bike as the manufacturers may thousands of them.

In fairness though most of my builds have used all new parts.

I'd suggest if you have enough used parts to kit out most of the new frameset it'd be worthwhile, provided you check how many parts will fit the new frameset, e.g. are headset, bottom bracket, seatpost sizes the same? Usually there's some faffing about required getting e.g. gears to index properly and mudguards to fit, etc....

I'm currently building up a tourer based on a Spa frame bought second hand. It's really an exercise in finding something just to hang loose parts on - I already had most of them. I think it's going to work out a lot cheaper even than the modestly priced bike that Spa sell but even then not quite as cheaply as I had hoped. I think the value though lies in becoming conversant with the bike and its parts - if you aren't interested in that then it's a hard way to save money. What I dream about is that at some point you end up with the knowledge and skills to get the bike you want, to maintain it very cheaply and to free yourself from manufacturer's exhortations for ever. This is because a bike is made up of separable parts and, if you understand the relationship between them, you have complete control over this thing called "your bicycle". I would say to the OP, "Go for it" but don't be surprised of you don't save much money and don't be surprised if there are some issues along the way.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
niggle

Post by niggle »

dim wrote:with your £1000 budget:

here's a Miyata 1000 on ebay ....< SNIP>

That is utterly stunning but I would not want to (ab)use it in the way I intend to use my cross bike build, I would just hang it up on the living room wall and gaze at it.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

A self build, built quickly using new parts will cost more than a bike bought off the shelf....
..however a bike built over a longer amount of time from second hand parts may be cheap, especially if you have to spend some time getting those parts cleaned, de-rusted and painted.

....personally speaking I find riding a bike that I've put together myself more spiritually rewarding than riding a bike that someone else has put together for me.