26" mudguards?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Slowroad

26" mudguards?

Post by Slowroad »

I bought these last week, but they seem a little large for my 26" wheels! They are Blackburn Cloudburst. The seller (big reputable firm) says they've never had any comments before and wonders if they may have got 'slightly flattened in transit'.
The first pic shows that I will have to cut a lot of the stays off, the second one does look as if they could be pushed so they are more 'circular'? Or do I just put them on my 700 x 28c bike, which they look as if they will fit without much bother?

DSC08986.JPG

DSC08987.JPG
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
gaz

Re: 26" mudguards?

Post by gaz »

Amazon reviews frequently mention the over long stays and a number of the reviews also imply they're too big for 26" wheels (within the suggested range of tyre sizes).

If they are a good fit on a different bike and you need a set of guards for that bike then fair enough. Otherwise IMO return them.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

They do look long. But a lot of front to back coverage is no bad thing.

The metal stays are possibly universal size, meaning you get the same stays for both 26" and 700c mudguards. And they can be a sod to cut because being made of stainless steel they are strong.

People tend to cut them with a big set of bolt cutters, or give the job to a bike shop.
I should coco.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

IMHO even if you manage to fit them they'll look ridiculous. I's send them back and buy some SKS mudguards. I've fitted 3 sets and they all fit well.
slowster

Post by slowster »

To fit those mudguards you would have to put them under permanent stress to get them sufficiently close to the wheel. That would be very likely to cause them to fail prematurely, i.e. the material will fatigue and crack/break at its weakest/most stressed point.

As others have advised, return them.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

1.Are the stays tightened up in the pic? If so, does the curve tighten when they release? Sounds obvious but you never know.
2. I also suspect that guards sized for 26^ wheels will be made to take into account a fairly big knobbly. That you don't have.
I suspect that it is just not well designed.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

send them back they aint for 26". Maybe they have an inventory error or labeling error in the store. I bet the person who replied to you only looked at the inventory code not the actual mudguards
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

Thanks for your comments - a few clarifications:
They are 26" x 4.5cm mudguards and advertised to fit 1" to 1.75" tyres, mine are 1.25". So 'should' be designed with that wheel diameter in mind... doesn't look like they were though!
No, weren't tightened up, just held in front of existing wheels and mudguards (which I didn't fit - look closely and you'll see that the existing guards are too large and bent to fit!)
Yep - should've looked at reviews on Amazon!
They were only £12 - reduced substantially - maybe there is a reason why...
I've not found any SKS ones (my first choice) which go narrower than 55mm - I'm not even sure that there's enough clearance at the forks actually with these at 45mm.
It's a wet afternoon so I'll have another look at fitting, hoping the existing stays will fit so I don't have to cut till I know which bike they are going on!
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

mercalia wrote:send them back they aint for 26". Maybe they have an inventory error or labeling error in the store. I bet the person who replied to you only looked at the inventory code not the actual mudguards

Absolutely - the radius is far too big. I think the 1971 goods and services act may be your friend in these circumstances.
CyberKnight

Post by CyberKnight »

I use sks beavertails
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

I've found Tortec to be as good as other top brands. :D
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Slowroad wrote:Thanks for your comments - a few clarifications:
They are 26" x 4.5cm mudguards and advertised to fit 1" to 1.75" tyres, mine are 1.25". So 'should' be designed with that wheel diameter in mind... doesn't look like they were though!
No, weren't tightened up, just held in front of existing wheels and mudguards (which I didn't fit - look closely and you'll see that the existing guards are too large and bent to fit!)
Yep - should've looked at reviews on Amazon!
They were only £12 - reduced substantially - maybe there is a reason why...
I've not found any SKS ones (my first choice) which go narrower than 55mm - I'm not even sure that there's enough clearance at the forks actually with these at 45mm.
It's a wet afternoon so I'll have another look at fitting, hoping the existing stays will fit so I don't have to cut till I know which bike they are going on!

I assume you tried to attach to the cross bar thing on the seat stays? that limits how far up they can go - the mudguards can then only go out as you tried, way too far out?
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

I assume you tried to attach to the cross bar thing on the seat stays? that limits how far up they can go - the mudguards can then only go out as you tried, way too far out?

Yes - unfortunately the fittings at the front don't fit - but that's just my bike.
I've had a better go at fitting them today and they may fit with a bit of 'persuasion'...
However I've belatedly realised that they don't have a safety release on the front and I'm not going to ride a bike without them again - have come off due to mudguard concertina-ing between wheel and down tube.
It's annoying as they are really the only 26" x 4.5cm mudguards that I have managed to find!
― Peter Golkin