Is a carbon frame worth it for a heavy rider?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Darkman

Re: Is a carbon frame worth it for a heavy rider?

Postby Darkman » 3 Feb 2020, 9:11pm

Just answering the original question, and not being of slight build myself.

Lose some weight if you need to. The benefits of that will be far greater than making your biking experience lighter by using a carbon frame. And if you still really want a carbon frame, do that too. But if you've weight to lose, do that first.

I was 147KG last June, when I decided to do something about it. Today I'm 105KG. I can walk upstairs without holding on again and being knackered when I get to the top. My knees don't hurt like hell. I can sit on the floor with the dog (and get up again). I can walk into a shop and buy clothes that actually fit. The intermittent back pain I had, has gone. My resting heart rate has dropped from 74 to 63. BMI is down from 41 to 29. Just doing everyday things is much less of an ordeal.

And the biggest thing for me, is that I didn't even realise how much it was all affecting me, until the extra weight has gone and things started moving back to how they used to be.

Hudson1984

Postby Hudson1984 » 4 Feb 2020, 1:55pm

ah yeah i'll be doing both for sure.

I'm 95kg, want to get down to about 80kg, the cycling certainly helps.

Icsunonove

Postby Icsunonove » 4 Feb 2020, 8:23pm

Was thinking about this on my ride home from work. It's impossible to say whether it's worth it for you. What are you expecting to get?
It's also worth thinking about what you want from new kit. For many people a bike that suits your needs, is comfitable, a good fit, and is reliable is far more important than shaving 400g off the weight. Better to finish a 100 mile ride feeling good than be five minutes quicker with a bad back.