Frame size confusion...

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Hudson1984

Frame size confusion...

Post by Hudson1984 »

Hi all,

I have recently been into Halfords to have a try at a few frames to see what would fit me for the bike build.

the SLR 8.9a in 53 was perfect, nice length and good leg fit. Now that seems really small, i'm 6' tall but small inside leg. I understand the leg holding back a larger frame but thought my overall height would see a larger frame anyway, I think my Bianchi is a 55

Are boardman just odd in their sizing?

i've looked on a comparison site but can't find the SLR - and annoyingly Halfords and Boardman list in SM M L rather than 53 55 etc etc. which is actually on the bikes.

I really liked the frame geometry - from sitting on it! and would like to see what other frames I can consider with similar proporsions. I.e. is a Boardman 53 as per a focus 54 for example.
Jamesh

Re: Frame size confusion...

Post by Jamesh »

No Boardman like most others will be measuring a sloping top tube design. Where as a classic horizontal top tube would come out at 55/56 cm.

Also Boardman are unusual in that the use odd numbers rather than even numbers.

Cheers James
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
Most manufacturers provide a geometry chart although the amount of info provided varies:
8.9a stats link and click on "View Geometry Stats" at the bottom
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Frame sizing is like clothing sizing or even more closelybshoe sizing. All the sizes do is point you to roughly the right place in the rack.
No one manufactureres will match another's for size. Check the charts then try it on. If you doubt threvshop assistants advice tr the same item elsewhere.