Smart lights

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Oldjohnw

Smart lights

Postby Oldjohnw » 1 Feb 2020, 9:33am

Just received Cycle mag and in the back cover is Anna's for Lezyne smart lights. You can operate them via an app on your phone.

I was wondering, what happened to switches?
John

dim

Re: Smart lights

Postby dim » 1 Feb 2020, 9:42am

the new Supernova M99 mini pro light also uses an app on your smartphone... nice light but I'm not keen to have to use my phone to operate it

https://supernova-lights.com/en/m99-mini-pro-b54/

RickH

Postby RickH » 2 Feb 2020, 12:46am

I think the app is to set the modes (light v burn time) & you just use the thumb switch between high & low unless you want to make any changes to their settings.

yakdiver

Postby yakdiver » 2 Feb 2020, 5:03am

:roll:
Alias Numbnuts

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 2 Feb 2020, 9:22am

Bonkers idea.
Sweep

Darkman

Postby Darkman » 2 Feb 2020, 10:11am

This smartphone fad does my head in. Seems like everything now needs an app on your phone. If you've seen The Gadget Show in recent years there's rarely anything on that doesn't come with "it's controlled via an app on your smartphone", be it food blenders, washing machines, whatever.

Somebody once said "just because we can do a thing, doesn't mean we should".

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 2 Feb 2020, 10:17am

Darkman wrote:This smartphone fad does my head in. Seems like everything now needs an app on your phone. If you've seen The Gadget Show in recent years there's rarely anything on that doesn't come with "it's controlled via an app on your smartphone", be it food blenders, washing machines, whatever.

At the risk of me obsessing, agree entirely.
Sometimes smart is not smart.
Sweep

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 2 Feb 2020, 10:26am

Sweep wrote:
Darkman wrote:This smartphone fad does my head in. Seems like everything now needs an app on your phone. If you've seen The Gadget Show in recent years there's rarely anything on that doesn't come with "it's controlled via an app on your smartphone", be it food blenders, washing machines, whatever.

At the risk of me obsessing, agree entirely.
Sometimes smart is not smart.

+1
What happens when/if you lose or leave your smart arris phone at home or is someone steals it :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Debs

Postby Debs » 2 Feb 2020, 11:38am

My Bontrager daytime lights can be configured to automatically switch on when i turn on the Garmin,
and when the Garmin is switched off the lights also switch off.

Can also see remaining battery power of the lights on the Garmin - so know when they need recharging.

There are other options of configuring when an app is downloaded onto the Garmin [free from Bontrager] but a smartypants phone is needed for this and i don't own one. I'll have to get one of those smart young lads in the LBS to fix it for me next time i visit for a cup of cappuccino :)

The dogs danglies :lol:

iandriver

Postby iandriver » 2 Feb 2020, 12:47pm

Does look rather like a solution searching for a problem.

I notice it can hook up to certain GPS screens. Perhaps a helmet mounted version off road you could imagine a thin case for a quick switch between high and low power. Don't thing I'll be rushing out to get one.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 2 Feb 2020, 3:12pm

Just waiting for an app that takes your bike out for a ride. You can stay at home and follow it on the Internet thingy.
John

Chris

Postby Chris » 2 Feb 2020, 7:26pm

I can't see why I would want control from my phone, but I can see why I would like the rear light to come on when I turn on the front light as I am riding along and conditions change.

fastpedaller

Postby fastpedaller » 2 Feb 2020, 8:25pm

I agree with the smart phone fad..... Saw a pair of cordless headphones in Lidl a couple of days ago and thought "they'll be handy for listening to music whilst in the chair not beside the hi-fi". No chance there, as when I looked on the box it said they needed a smart phone. Another 20 quid saved :lol:

RickH

Postby RickH » 2 Feb 2020, 8:40pm

fastpedaller wrote:I agree with the smart phone fad..... Saw a pair of cordless headphones in Lidl a couple of days ago and thought "they'll be handy for listening to music whilst in the chair not beside the hi-fi". No chance there, as when I looked on the box it said they needed a smart phone. Another 20 quid saved :lol:

Probably, strictly speaking, they just need to pair with a device that can transmit audio via Bluetooth. For the vast majority that will mean a smartphone. I have a small Bluetooth transmitter that will do the job for any device with an audio output - it just need the right lead to connect to its mini jack socket.

nigelnightmare

Postby nigelnightmare » 3 Feb 2020, 4:58pm

I've got "smart" lights.
When the bikes moving they come on!....

……….Mind you that's because they're connected to the Dynamo. :lol:
No batteries, no charger just get on bike and pedal. 8)

Now that's Smart. :mrgreen: