Sora r3000

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Jurassic2

Sora r3000

Post by Jurassic2 »

Any one know if the new R3000 sora levers are compatible with my existing r3500 front and rear derailleur, I would like to upgrade just the levers to get the advantage of the consealed cables, but not sure if they will be compatible with to old r3500 derailleur.
ElCani

Re: Sora r3000

Post by ElCani »

Yup, it’ll work. But... bit of an expensive way to get a slightly neater looking bike, unless there’s something wrong with your current shifters?
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

ElCani wrote:Yup, it’ll work. But... bit of an expensive way to get a slightly neater looking bike, unless there’s something wrong with your current shifters?

why is it "expensive"?
Jurassic2

Post by Jurassic2 »

Great, many thanks for the technical (and financial advice) I had hoped they where the same but thought I'd ask.
ElCani

Post by ElCani »

The utility cyclist wrote:
ElCani wrote:Yup, it’ll work. But... bit of an expensive way to get a slightly neater looking bike, unless there’s something wrong with your current shifters?

why is it "expensive"?

Apologies. Should’ve said “in my opinion it’s a lot of money to spend if the only benefit is a neater-looking bike”. But obviously it’s the OP’s cash to do what they like with! And maybe they want rid of the washing lines in order to make a bar bag easier to fit, or something...
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

ElCani wrote:

why is it "expensive"?

Apologies. Should’ve said “in my opinion it’s a lot of money to spend if the only benefit is a neater-looking bike”. But obviously it’s the OP’s cash to do what they like with! And maybe they want rid of the washing lines in order to make a bar bag easier to fit, or something...

Have you used the R3000 shifters and compared them to the older Sora? i suspect not because you'd not be saying that the only benefit is a neater looking bike, there's also the fact it makes it easier to put a bar bag on as well.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

FWIW if the advantage of concealed cables that you seek is that it is easier to fit a bar bag, then you can usually achieve this by fitting V-brake noodles to the gear cable runs at they exit 'washing line' type shifters.

Concealed cables look nice but when time comes for cable maintenance, they are considerably more of a faff to work with.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ElCani

Post by ElCani »

ElCani wrote:
The utility cyclist wrote:why is it "expensive"?

Have you used the R3000 shifters and compared them to the older Sora? i suspect not because you'd not be saying that the only benefit is a neater looking bike, there's also the fact it makes it easier to put a bar bag on as well.

Yes, I’ve used both. And I mentioned the bar bag advantage in the post you quoted.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Btw (thread drift)

V brake noodles.

I see there are two types fixed and flexy.

Which are preferred?

Cheers James
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

Brucey wrote:FWIW if the advantage of concealed cables that you seek is that it is easier to fit a bar bag, then you can usually achieve this by fitting V-brake noodles to the gear cable runs at they exit 'washing line' type shifters.

Concealed cables look nice but when time comes for cable maintenance, they are considerably more of a faff to work with.

cheers

I'd agree with the faff especially when the cable snaps. The derailleurs'll match but I think that the brake pull is different?

BTW I've never had an issue with bar bags and washing line levers
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Does the OP's desired combination create a clash with compatibility with the brakes? I guess a look at a Shimano chart might help but I don't know which one.
Re the cable issue. That is so personal. I can't comment precisely on Shimano as I was always a Campag man but unless the Shimano cable quality is dire (doubtful) or the cable line has a weakness (equally doubtful) then I see no reason for cables to break unless badly maintained. That's the owners problem/fault and can't be factored in. Routine maintenance surely isn't frequent. Mine get inspected annually even if they are running perfectly. This is on my commuter bike which gets mud, gravel and road salt thrown at it and its rather vulnerable cables most weeks of the year. When they do get fixed its just a few seconds to roll the top part of the tape part and then replace. Of course there will be the odd aberration but those can't be considered as you may go 50 years without one. I have never broken a cable in 50 year of riding and maintaining with many bikes in the fleet.
You may be different but thats my version.
Of course the OP may just want to be neater or more to the point more up to date.
ElCani

Post by ElCani »

Brake-cable pull between 3500 and 3000 is the same, NSSLR.