Brake levers

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
reohn2

Brake levers

Post by reohn2 »

I'm on the look out for a pair of flat bar brake levers(22.2mm dia) with the correct cable pull for BB7 ROAD cable disc brakes,normally I'd have thought any flat bar caliper levers(not V brake levers) would do but I believe there's more than one cable pull type available :?
I'd prefer Shimano if someone could point me in the right direction please.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Norman H

Re: Brake levers

Post by Norman H »

Any flat bar road pull lever should be OK if your BB7's are road pull. These Tiagra levers are on offer from SJS at the moment

Avid do levers that are adjustable for mechanical advantage and in theory should be good for both road and mtb cable pull.. I believe they're designated Speed Dial
PH

Post by PH »

My BB7 road worked fine with the Shimano R550 levers
https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s103p10 ... bar-levers

Though they didn't work as well as MTB BB7s and V levers. Road calipers are not as heavily discounted as the MTB version (Or weren't a couple of years ago) so they fetch a bit more secondhand. if you already have some spare V levers, you may find the difference between selling the road calipers and buying some MTB ones is less than the cost of levers.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Thanks folks for the confirmation,I've ordered a pair of R550's :)
W H Auden
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Norman H wrote:Any flat bar road pull lever should be OK if your BB7's are road pull. These Tiagra levers are on offer from SJS at the moment

increasingly flat bar 'road' levers are NSSLR cable pull, which when paired with an older brake design (which I think BB7 road is) results in a slightly underwhelming brake.

Avid do levers that are adjustable for mechanical advantage and in theory should be good for both road and mtb cable pull.. I believe they're designated Speed Dial

yep, speed dials are a great idea if you want to fine tune or you are not quite sure what might work best.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

A point about Avid levers,from a personal POV,the pinch bolt is in an annoying position as I sometimes ride with my the palm of my hands on top of the brake levers and shifters operating the brake levers with my little fingers,the Avid bolt digs into the web of my thumb and index finger.
Shimano levers OTOH have the bolt tucked neatly underneath leaving the tops where I rest my hands smooth and comfy :)
W H Auden
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

I'd be interested to hear how those levers work with those brakes John.
Very seriously considering swapping my drops for trekking bars.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

Brucey wrote:
Norman H wrote:Any flat bar road pull lever should be OK if your BB7's are road pull. These Tiagra levers are on offer from SJS at the moment

increasingly flat bar 'road' levers are NSSLR cable pull, which when paired with an older brake design (which I think BB7 road is) results in a slightly underwhelming brake.

yep, speed dials are a great idea if you want to fine tune or you are not quite sure what might work best.

cheers

Yes, yet more confusion from Shimano. I assume as you do that BB7 road callipers are older style road pull, effectively SLR or possibly SSLR cable pull?

It's not easy to establish the timeline of the evolution of SLR through the various iterations to NSSLR and getting information on the various MA's is even more difficult. If anyone knows of an on line resource it would be quite handy. The best that I have come across is here.

Incidentally I understand that the Tiagra 4600 levers that I linked to are SSLR, as are the BL R550 levers that PH is successfully using.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Norman H wrote:
Incidentally I understand that the Tiagra 4600 levers that I linked to are SSLR.

BL-4600 are NSSLR levers, and when used with the previous generation of calipers, show as a dotted line (reduced power) on shimano's compatibility charts, eg see the 2013 brake compatibility chart here

https://www.celebrazio.net/bicycling/shimano_compatibility.html

the same stuff is available on shimano's website, but seems less easy to get at.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Vantage wrote:I'd be interested to hear how those levers work with those brakes John.

I'll let you know how I get on with them Bill.

PS,when we get some predictable weather we'll have to get out for another ride with Colin :)
W H Auden
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

reohn2 wrote:
Vantage wrote:I'd be interested to hear how those levers work with those brakes John.

I'll let you know how I get on with them Bill.

PS,when we get some predictable weather we'll have to get out for another ride with Colin :)

We certainly will :D
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.