How do you transport your bike(s)?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Hudson1984

How do you transport your bike(s)?

Postby Hudson1984 » 5 Feb 2020, 11:04am

Hi all,

so, i'd like to venture out every so often and do a few sportives (if I manage to complete this up coming 100 and still have functioning legs!)

which means taking the bike to other places.

Now, I have a company car, which means I can't really start chucking roof racks on it - well I could but then being as it's not really my car, I then could buy it only for the company to change my car.

We have a second car, an XC60, which would be a bit high for a roof rack but I wondered about having a toe bar fitted and either using my trailer as a bike carrier or getting a toe bar bike rack.

I do want to keep the use of the boot - which sadly is only really half usable as we have a fixed dog crate in there. This is what's tipping me toward using the trailer - put normal bike racks on the top and fill it with spares I "might" need which then keeps the car clean and stuff (being the wifes car this is pretty key!)

anyone got any suggestions/examples of their setups.

needs to carry 2 bikes but perhaps expandable for future kids bikes etc.

mjr

Re: How do you transport yours?

Postby mjr » 5 Feb 2020, 11:08am

I've a piggyback rack and either use that or Rinko them into the boot but you say you don't want to do that.

Within your constraints, I'd get a towbar rack instead of trying to fix roof racks to a trailer as I think you're describing.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

rotavator

Postby rotavator » 5 Feb 2020, 11:15am

Get a towing hook, plus electrics for the lighting board, fitted and buy a rack for it. I have an Atera Strada and it can be tilted out of the way if I need to open the rear door. Bikes are fairly easy to attach securely, certainly easier than some others that I have seen. However, it is a bit heavy and you need to check that the lights are working each time you use it.

I got mine from this company, good service, no complaints:

https://www.roofbox.co.uk/bike-carriers/bike-carriers-racks-range-towbar-mounting.php

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 5 Feb 2020, 11:35am

You could try the ladder method? This post is about putting a tandem on a Zafira viewtopic.php?f=5&t=54363&start=15#p454809
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

hamster

Postby hamster » 5 Feb 2020, 12:02pm

And you can't get it in the back of the company car with the seats folded?

I can get a road bike with the front wheel out in the back of a 2002 Toyota Yaris!

Hudson1984

Postby Hudson1984 » 5 Feb 2020, 12:06pm

Oh I can, but it's then only mine and the trouble with that is I have to remove all the gear from my boot (which is a pain) as it's all my site gear PPE etc and measuring equipment. So not having to do that is preferable.

what i'm intending is leaving the car at home for the wife to use on days I want to take the bike out somewhere else.

plus if the bikes dirty it's just another job, I'd have to clean it before stuffing it in the car. Whereas the suggested toe racks would be ideal, slide out the way when required and chuck the bike on the back as is and clean it up when I get home.

seems a good option really.

mjr

Postby mjr » 5 Feb 2020, 12:11pm

Hudson1984 wrote:Oh I can, but it's then only mine and the trouble with that is I have to remove all the gear from my boot (which is a pain) as it's all my site gear PPE etc and measuring equipment. So not having to do that is preferable.

Put the gear in crates and take it out when you don't need it. If it weighs much, you'll use less fuel and so save money too, as well as not pollute the air so much.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

hamster

Postby hamster » 5 Feb 2020, 12:27pm

Hudson1984 wrote:plus if the bikes dirty it's just another job, I'd have to clean it before stuffing it in the car. Whereas the suggested toe racks would be ideal, slide out the way when required and chuck the bike on the back as is and clean it up when I get home.

I just have a big dust sheet and wrap the bike if necessary.

Whne I had a company car I had the same issue with roof racks. I bought a Thule system one, and if I swapped car model just had to buy new footpads/ adaptors for the bars. I then sold the old ones on eBay. The racks did no damage at all.
I always prefer the bike inside the car for peace of mind if leaving it.

nigelnightmare

Re: How do you transport your bike(s)?

Postby nigelnightmare » 5 Feb 2020, 1:40pm

The main downside's with a trailer are parking, maneuvering (Reversing) & storing (when not in use).
Also you may have to upgrade your driving licence to be able to tow.

JMTPW

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 5 Feb 2020, 1:58pm

Hudson1984 wrote:We have a second car, an XC60, which would be a bit high for a roof rack but I wondered about having a toe bar fitted and either using my trailer as a bike carrier or getting a toe bar bike rack.

I do want to keep the use of the boot...

We used to carry two tandems upside down on an Espace. (Upside down meant that they fitted ordinary racks.) To get them up or down I either removed a rear seat and stood on it or used a small aluminium folding ladder. Those each gave plenty of height.

Jonathan

NUKe

Postby NUKe » 5 Feb 2020, 2:01pm

What is the company car, Cant you get the bike in with the Wheels out in the boot?
NUKe

simonhill

Postby simonhill » 6 Feb 2020, 7:46am

A bit of lateral thinking here.

Depending on what "every so often" is, have you thought of hiring a small van?

Towbars cost a fair amount to fit and you probably loose it when car is changed. Other stuff not so expensive, but it adds up.

Lots of other advantages that you can weigh up and throw into the calculation.

.......and if course, if you decide sportives are not for you, you get injured, or the weather is particularly inclement, nothing much lost.

Hudson1984

Postby Hudson1984 » 6 Feb 2020, 7:50am

yeah hiring a van is probably the best idea to be fair.

we'd probably get very little use of a tow bar in all reality, and at over £1,000/£1,500 all in with the rack it's an expensive choice. That would certainly pay for a good few van hires. Plus if I hire a van and go to events with a mate we can split the cost - he certainly isn't going to pay for my tow bar :lol: :lol:

I think at most it'll be 4 maybe 5 events a year, I'm a long way off being able to even contemplate an event where a hill is present so yeah think you're right on the money

flat tyre

Postby flat tyre » 7 Feb 2020, 9:59am

I can get my summer bike (no mudguards) in my car behind the front seats. I take both wheels off and put a clean rag around the chain.

Marcus Aurelius

Postby Marcus Aurelius » 7 Feb 2020, 10:08am

Get yourself a bike box.

https://www.bikeboxalan.com/?v=79cba1185463

I’ve used these for many years.