How do you transport your bike(s)?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
whoof

Re: How do you transport your bike(s)?

Postby whoof » 7 Feb 2020, 11:17am

I can get two people, two road bikes and enough luggage for a week's stay in a Suzuki Alto and it's tiny.

alto.jpg

Alternatively I've transported my bike by train but most events I go to (usually Audax) I ride to them. I'm fortunate that there are a number quite near but I have ridden there on a Saturday, camped, left my luggage at the HQ and then after the event ridden home.

francovendee

Postby francovendee » 8 Feb 2020, 8:26am

whoof wrote:I can get two people, two road bikes and enough luggage for a week's stay in a Suzuki Alto and it's tiny.

alto.jpg

Alternatively I've transported my bike by train but most events I go to (usually Audax) I ride to them. I'm fortunate that there are a number quite near but I have ridden there on a Saturday, camped, left my luggage at the HQ and then after the event ridden home.

That's quite a feat, have you any photos of it loaded with two bikes?
I've tried getting one bike into a Fiat Panda (about the same size) and you can't, at least not without removing both wheels.

RickH

Postby RickH » 8 Feb 2020, 8:58am

With our car (Suzuki SX4), & other previous ones where back seats fold forward then forward again (so the seat bases are standing on end), I find it easier to get bikes in if I only tip the backs of the rear seats forward & not do the second fold.

whoof

Postby whoof » 8 Feb 2020, 5:56pm

francovendee wrote:
whoof wrote:I can get two people, two road bikes and enough luggage for a week's stay in a Suzuki Alto and it's tiny.

alto.jpg

I've tried getting one bike into a Fiat Panda (about the same size) and you can't, at least not without removing both wheels.

I don't have any photos but I do remove both wheels.

francovendee

Postby francovendee » 9 Feb 2020, 8:20am

whoof wrote:
francovendee wrote:

alto.jpg

That would explain it, I wondered if there was a way with the wheels on but couldn't see how.

Carlton green

Postby Carlton green » 9 Feb 2020, 11:12am

On several occasions we've had a bike in the back of one of our smaller hatchbacks, just had to remove the front wheel and then adjust to suit. If dirt, etc, from the bike is a concern then a tarp laid underneath is one practical solution - typically tarps don’t cost much, the likes of Wicks sell them and so do eBay. Taking two wheels out isn’t something I’d rush too do, I’d be concerned about bending mudguard stays and damaging a rear mech.

My preferred way of carrying is via a roof rack. I’ve also used a rear mounted rack successfully and still have it in store somewhere. They work for me but I prefer other methods, I’m not keen on the way that the weight is (sort of) supported off of the hatchback and I don’t like the (vulnerable) overhang to the sides of the car. Having said all of that a boot or tailgate mounted rack might be just right for the OP.

mjr

Postby mjr » 9 Feb 2020, 11:47am

whoof wrote:
francovendee wrote:

Mudguards removed or no mudguards?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

Hobbs1951

Postby Hobbs1951 » 9 Feb 2020, 12:56pm

One of our cars is a large-ish estate so if the weather is good and I'm not going too far it goes on the roof (pro style - front wheel removed), or if weather not so good it goes in the car.

MPV style vehicles (e.g Ford Galaxy) are sometimes a good bet for carrying inside as their architecture lends itself well to this - only if they're fairly square with a decent tailgate shape.

John.

willcee

Postby willcee » 9 Feb 2020, 1:06pm

Decent sized estate, in the last 20 years mine have varied from Golf estate, Mondeo est, Audi Avant A4. and now a C class Benz, all capable of 2 or even 3 bikes carefully loaded, with wheels & bars normal position..and are even handling my E bikes.. and my ladys mob scooter not at same time however.. safer more economical cleaner and more thief proof than drawing machines on your roof or tailgate...my rear seats are never upright since year 2000... will

whoof

Postby whoof » 9 Feb 2020, 3:26pm

mjr wrote:
whoof wrote:
francovendee wrote:

Mudguards removed or no mudguards?

If I put in two bikes without mudguards they fit fairly easily. With mudguards fitted then the passenger seat has to be pulled forward a little bit I can still get them in.

sjs

Postby sjs » 9 Feb 2020, 7:05pm

Jdsk wrote:
Hudson1984 wrote:We have a second car, an XC60, which would be a bit high for a roof rack but I wondered about having a toe bar fitted and either using my trailer as a bike carrier or getting a toe bar bike rack.

I do want to keep the use of the boot...

We used to carry two tandems upside down on an Espace. (Upside down meant that they fitted ordinary racks.) To get them up or down I either removed a rear seat and stood on it or used a small aluminium folding ladder. Those each gave plenty of height.

Jonathan

I have used roof bars on a VW Sharan and a Citroen C4 Picasso. Fairly easy to lift standard bikes, standing in the rear footwell at some stages of the process. An XC60 may be a bit taller though.

bgnukem

Postby bgnukem » 11 Feb 2020, 1:06pm

In my car I need to unbolt and remove the front passenger seat and fold down the rear seats, does mean no passengers though :D

It's a 1995 2-door BMW 3-series coupe.

One day I'll maybe get a rear tow bar so I can use my rack again :lol: