crank bolt bottoming out.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
cyclop

crank bolt bottoming out.

Postby cyclop » 13 Feb 2020, 4:52pm

In the process of building a winter bike using everything off my old bike,using a Kinesis racelight as my new (used) steed.The driveside,ultegra chainset crank bolt appears to be bottoming out.Non drive side feels as it should i.e.slowly easing the crank further on.B.B. is octalink and was off the old bike.Crankset been on and off many times over the years,am I missing something or have the "channels" in the crank worn?Can I do anything?

thatsnotmyname

Re: crank bolt bottoming out.

Postby thatsnotmyname » 13 Feb 2020, 5:05pm

Presumably you mean it feels like it's bottoming out, but you can still feel movement in the crank arm?

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 13 Feb 2020, 5:45pm

are you 100% sure you have a matching octalink BB and crankset? There are two versions of the spline, V1 and V2, and the BB has to match the cranks.

If the spline is correct, the bolt is bottomed out, and the crank is still loose, then the most likely explanation is indeed that the crank is worn. You might get away with bonding a worn crank on with high strength epoxy resin, you might not.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

cyclop

Postby cyclop » 13 Feb 2020, 6:26pm

The crank isn,t moving and I noticed it a week or so ago,since when I,ve ridden 60 odd miles on the old bike.No idea what version of octalink.Will ride on for the time being.Cheers.

cyclop

Postby cyclop » 13 Feb 2020, 6:39pm

It,s a v1 version which appears to be the correct one for ultegra,old style with polished rounded spider.

thatsnotmyname

Postby thatsnotmyname » 13 Feb 2020, 6:44pm

cyclop wrote:The crank isn,t moving and I noticed it a week or so ago,since when I,ve ridden 60 odd miles on the old bike.No idea what version of octalink.Will ride on for the time being.Cheers.

If the crank is firm and the bolt feels tight (bottomed-out or not) then I think you're good to go.