Touring tyre for a narrow rim

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
The utility cyclist

Re: Touring tyre for a narrow rim

Postby The utility cyclist » 21 Feb 2020, 5:21am

I've been using 32mm tyres on my Open 4 ceramic rear for a decade, loaded and unloaded, never had any issues with the tyre squirming including going around bends at speed, the Open 4 is even narrower than the Open pro.
I like the Jack Brown 'green' tyre but if you want a bit more protection/meat on the tread go with the blue variant.

pwa

Postby pwa » 21 Feb 2020, 10:12am

The utility cyclist wrote:I've been using 32mm tyres on my Open 4 ceramic rear for a decade, loaded and unloaded, never had any issues with the tyre squirming including going around bends at speed, the Open 4 is even narrower than the Open pro.
I like the Jack Brown 'green' tyre but if you want a bit more protection/meat on the tread go with the blue variant.

Not a tyre I was aware of but, yes, they sound very useful. I may well give them a try some time soon. Made by Panracer too, which is a name I respect. Thanks.
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYPAJBB/j ... protection

pwa

Postby pwa » 11 May 2020, 5:17pm

As an UPDATE.

My wife's bike currently has Marathon Greenguards (or whatever they call them now) which are good for her to train on as she isn't one for dealing with punctures.

But if and when we are ever allowed to tour, and bearing in mind that she is petite, I have ordered a pair of Panaracer Gravel Kings (28mm) in the file tread form, which look to me like tough road tyres that can take reasonable forestry tracks. I'm not sure I would put my bulk on them on poor surfaces but she should be fine. And on road they should be fast. Well, that's the theory.
Last edited by pwa on 11 May 2020, 8:26pm, edited 1 time in total.

ossie

Postby ossie » 11 May 2020, 6:27pm

pwa wrote:As an UPDATE.

My wife's bike currently has Marathon Greenguards (or whatever they call them now) which are good for her to train on as she isn't one for dealing with punctures.

But if and when we are ever allowed to tour, and bearing in mind that she is petite, I have ordered a pair of Panracer Gravel Kings (28mm) in the file tread form, which look to me like tough road tyres that can take reasonable forestry tracks. I'm not sure I would put my bulk on them on poor surfaces but she should be fine. And on road they should be fast. Well, that's the theory.

If you don't mind me asking but whats the issue with Greenguards as I was thinking of getting some 28mm's for my touring bike? I often do forest tracks, tow paths etc and had no issue on my last fully loaded European tour with some bog standard Vittoria Randonneurs. I just need more protection without going full Marathon plus.

As for Open pros, I had an unfortunate situation with some 28mm Marathon HS 308's on one tour. I know they're obsolete now but I fitted a brand new pair, flew to Spain only to find the tyres were too big for the rims and had some spectacular blowouts. Adding a second rim tape got me home but I guess what I'm saying is give your tyres a decent loaded run out first before committing yourself to the tour, which I guess you'll do.

pwa

Postby pwa » 11 May 2020, 7:57pm

ossie wrote:
pwa wrote:As an UPDATE.

But if and when we are ever allowed to tour, and bearing in mind that she is petite, I have ordered a pair of Panaracer Gravel Kings (28mm) in the file tread form, which look to me like tough road tyres that can take reasonable forestry tracks. I'm not sure I would put my bulk on them on poor surfaces but she should be fine. And on road they should be fast. Well, that's the theory.

If you don't mind me asking but whats the issue with Greenguards as I was thinking of getting some 28mm's for my touring bike? I often do forest tracks, tow paths etc and had no issue on my last fully loaded European tour with some bog standard Vittoria Randonneurs. I just need more protection without going full Marathon plus.

As for Open pros, I had an unfortunate situation with some 28mm Marathon HS 308's on one tour. I know they're obsolete now but I fitted a brand new pair, flew to Spain only to find the tyres were too big for the rims and had some spectacular blowouts. Adding a second rim tape got me home but I guess what I'm saying is give your tyres a decent loaded run out first before committing yourself to the tour, which I guess you'll do.

My wife and myself are both riding on Greenguards at the moment and they are good tyres. They look well made and do appear to offer a good level of robustness for use on forestry tracks. But they are not supple and they do feel a tad stodgy on the road.

My ideal tyre, for my own bike, is probably a Marathon Supreme, being more supple and therefore more comfortable. No doubt less robust, but not worryingly so. But my wife's bike won't accommodate those because they are no longer made as narrow as 28mm, so for her I need an alternative and the Gravelkings look to me to be an (expensive) alternative for a light rider. They are not sold as touring tyres but I reckon they will do nicely over a few hundred miles. And when I take the Greenguards off my wife's bike and put the Gravelkings on I hope she will get an appreciably nicer ride.

Greystoke

Postby Greystoke » 12 May 2020, 7:50am

I use 700x28 Schwalbe delta Cruisers on a very narrow rim on my touring bike. Spot on tyres.

pwa

Postby pwa » 23 May 2020, 1:50pm

Well, I've just put a pair of these on my wife's bike and given it a quick spin down the street, and they feel light, fast and supple. The tyre sidewall also feels thicker than on purely road tyres, which is reassuring because I want them to stand up to occasional careful use on forestry roads. But the tough feeling sidewall doesn't seem to translate into a harsh ride.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tyres/700-x ... e-700-622/

The utility cyclist

Postby The utility cyclist » 24 May 2020, 11:30pm

pwa wrote:Well, I've just put a pair of these on my wife's bike and given it a quick spin down the street, and they feel light, fast and supple. The tyre sidewall also feels thicker than on purely road tyres, which is reassuring because I want them to stand up to occasional careful use on forestry roads. But the tough feeling sidewall doesn't seem to translate into a harsh ride.

I used the aformentioned Jack Brown Green off road, in fact I went over boulders, part sand/grass dunes and all sorts with them last year on a gentle ride with mater following the Humber estuary for a while on a trail not really designed for road tyres.
My preferred multi role tyre is the Specialized Borough CX Pro in 32mm, sadly no longer produced but IME the best road/light off road tyre you could want, they're more robust than the Jack Brown Green and faster but as robust and definitely have the longevity as the Voyager Hyper folding.

I did consider the Gravelkings (I already use 28mm Panaracer EVO As for audax/fast winter rides) but the GKs are expensive and I don't think they're offering much advantage over others for the price if at all but good luck to you/wife with them.

pwa

Postby pwa » 25 May 2020, 5:29am

The utility cyclist wrote:
pwa wrote:Well, I've just put a pair of these on my wife's bike and given it a quick spin down the street, and they feel light, fast and supple. The tyre sidewall also feels thicker than on purely road tyres, which is reassuring because I want them to stand up to occasional careful use on forestry roads. But the tough feeling sidewall doesn't seem to translate into a harsh ride.

I used the aformentioned Jack Brown Green off road, in fact I went over boulders, part sand/grass dunes and all sorts with them last year on a gentle ride with mater following the Humber estuary for a while on a trail not really designed for road tyres.
My preferred multi role tyre is the Specialized Borough CX Pro in 32mm, sadly no longer produced but IME the best road/light off road tyre you could want, they're more robust than the Jack Brown Green and faster but as robust and definitely have the longevity as the Voyager Hyper folding.

I did consider the Gravelkings (I already use 28mm Panaracer EVO As for audax/fast winter rides) but the GKs are expensive and I don't think they're offering much advantage over others for the price if at all but good luck to you/wife with them.

They are expensive, but over a year we don't buy many tyres so they could still work out to be worth it. On a 16 mile ride with some good hills yesterday, and the new tyres on, she was flying along. She is usually insensitive to changes I make to her bike but she did notice the way the bike zipped along compared to when she had Marathon Greenguards on. I had to make an effort to stay with her on a couple of draggy climbs. The Gravelkings do look a bit narrow and may look slightly odd when she rides with a couple of panniers, but she is a light rider so adding panniers should still leave the tyres well within their design parameter. And crucially, the sidewalls are not thin. If we consider them as primarily road tyres, they look like they are meant to take a bit of rough treatment.

The utility cyclist

Postby The utility cyclist » 25 May 2020, 12:31pm

Most definitely an upgrade to the greenguards for overall riding pleasure and that's one of the most important aspects of cycling isn't it, same speed/distance for less effort or more speed on certain sections for same effort = more pleasurable, even just going up a bit faster or rolling down the other side of a slope and taking more speed into the next uphill bit can impact in a positive way.

My partner rides the 42mm variant of the Borough Pros fitted to her Spesh Globe Pro (folders also), she rides horses mainly so doesn't cycle much beyond the stables now and again and more recently to work now it's much closer, together we rarely go off road but they offer more than enough comfort wise and the odd excursions off road has presented no problem despite the near slick tread though there is some grooved tread on the shoulders that are likely more for show than being able to 'bite' into loose dirt with any effectiveness.

She's probably closer to 10 stone so could ride 28s if need be but she's always been happy with the stock tyres that were fitted so I'd bought 4 of them when we got the bike 12 years ago (thinking she would ride more).

If you achieved more smiles then you can't ask for much more really :D