SRAM NX conversion

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
RecumbentRide

Re: SRAM NX conversion

Post by RecumbentRide »

I would try the 9s big ring in the first instance; it might work well enough for you to at least make a good decision about the size based on experience.

True enough

I wonder if an improved softare release might include an optional overshift function?

I haven't looked at it too closely but it looks like there is potential to be able to fine tune your shifting to the nth degree. TBH I'm personally none too keen on these battery powered derailleurs esp from the standpoint of having them on a bike that will be used on tours. I'm already sick and tired of trying to keep all my devices charged up e.g. rear LED lights, mobile phones, cameras, powerbanks ....no! No way :roll:
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

oh I don't think the Archer system would be for me, either, for similar reasons (amongst others). However there is undoubtedly a place in the market for it.

FWIW I suspect that as it is, it may only work on systems that require little or no overshifting to work. Most modern derailleur systems are like this, at least when they are new. However older systems and modern ones which are not quite right (*) may benefit from a more aggressive over-shift, ideally built-in and ideally adjustable too.

(*) Many's the time I have asked someone if their gears are OK, been told 'yes, fine' and only when I've tested them myself have I found that to make them downshift you need to overshift slightly to get the shift to initiate. usually a half-turn on the barrel adjuster and everything is dandy again, but if everything is a bit worn, or you are using a hanger extender or whatever, an appreciable amount of overshifting may be essential, regardless of adjustment.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RecumbentRide

Post by RecumbentRide »

I came across this which gives me confidence I'll be okay :D with using the existing crankset. I've yet to remove the redundant rings but I'm assuming I can reuse the bolts keeping the granny ring attached to do the same job for the 48 toother. Currently the mid and large rings are secured to each other via the crankset so if the middle is removed the current bold setup will be too long to secure the large ring.
I've got the NX drivetrain coming tomorrow fingers crossed so hope to have it all tested by the end of the week!
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

you can get shorter chainring bolts, or you might find it OK to use washers/spacers with the old ones.

Good luck with it!

cheers
RecumbentRide

Post by RecumbentRide »

Brucey wrote:you can get shorter chainring bolts, or you might find it OK to use washers/spacers with the old ones.

Good luck with it!

cheers

Thank you I'll update when finished :)
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

one thing that would be useful to know is what the fit of the cassette is like on the freehub body; basically if you fit all the sprockets bar the smallest one, how much 'spline' is left to engage with the final sprocket? As I mentioned upthread, I've had this be a very small number or even a negative one, when it probably shouldn't have been.

Any photos you can manage would be great.

cheers
RecumbentRide

Post by RecumbentRide »

Glad to say fit is pretty good. I will post a pic but before I do I just want to get everything up and running and will feedback then properly :)
RecumbentRide

Post by RecumbentRide »

Brucey wrote:one thing that would be useful to know is what the fit of the cassette is like on the freehub body; basically if you fit all the sprockets bar the smallest one, how much 'spline' is left to engage with the final sprocket? As I mentioned upthread, I've had this be a very small number or even a negative one, when it probably shouldn't have been.

cheers

Here's some photos but will post more as I take it out for a test ride one day this week. Fit was good and encountered no problems at all and it was pretty straightforward setting up the derailleur. What was disappointing was the lack of instruction as to how to do this from the official channels as no paperwork was included and the official online resources were not good enough or very hard to track down. In the end I found some good resources on YT.

IMG_20200221_171142.jpg

IMG_20200221_171404.jpg
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

thanks for that photo; that looks like a pretty good fit to me.

cheers
mad_mickey

Post by mad_mickey »

Just wanted to jump in on the end of this discussion as it touches on the problem I am currently having.

I have just purchased the Sunrace CSMZ90 cassette and SRAM GX to convert my 10 speed Shimano SLX setup to 12 speed. On fitting the cassette to my American Classics 225 hub there is contact between spokes and cassette. I wasn't expecting this as it is a fairly standard Shimano HG style freehub! Can this be remedied with a different freehub (American Classics offered a 17mm 9/10 speed and 17mm 11speed freehub) if I can get one to fit the AC225 hub. To be clear the cassette securely fits on the existing freehub but the cassette and spokes are in contact in rotation.

Is down to wheel/spoke dish and if so would it be possible to get the wheels rebuilt or do I just need new hubs?
RecumbentRide

Post by RecumbentRide »

17mm 9/10 speed and 17mm 11speed freehub
Sorry baffled by what these measurements are?? Lovely hub btw.

Mines was a SRAM 135mm OLN like yours but the bearings have just given up the ghost so I'll be building a new one but happy to take a photo (spoke cassette distance) of my setup before it changes.

Have you checked the spoke lacing is correct. You might need a (1mm??) spacer if the spoke lacing is okay.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

mad_mickey wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 9:25am Just wanted to jump in on the end of this discussion as it touches on the problem I am currently having.

I have just purchased the Sunrace CSMZ90 cassette and SRAM GX to convert my 10 speed Shimano SLX setup to 12 speed. On fitting the cassette to my American Classics 225 hub there is contact between spokes and cassette. I wasn't expecting this as it is a fairly standard Shimano HG style freehub! Can this be remedied with a different freehub (American Classics offered a 17mm 9/10 speed and 17mm 11speed freehub) if I can get one to fit the AC225 hub. To be clear the cassette securely fits on the existing freehub but the cassette and spokes are in contact in rotation.

Is down to wheel/spoke dish and if so would it be possible to get the wheels rebuilt or do I just need new hubs?
A photo to see where the contact is taking place would be useful. I take it that fitting a thin spacer behind the cassette wouldn't leave enough spline length/thread to secure the smallest sprocket/lockring?
mad_mickey

Post by mad_mickey »

Had to remove the cassette again until a solution was found so can't get a pic at the mo unfortunately, suffice to say that where the ring drops down to join the spider is where the contact is.

They do seem to be great hubs by the way, bought the wheels (with carbon rims!) secondhand with graunchy rear bearings which I replaced and they now run like silk with ceramic bearings!

Have now ordered a 1mm spacer hoping that this will fix. Cheers guys.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

RecumbentRide wrote: 29 Mar 2020, 3:31pm
Brucey wrote:one thing that would be useful to know is what the fit of the cassette is like on the freehub body; basically if you fit all the sprockets bar the smallest one, how much 'spline' is left to engage with the final sprocket? As I mentioned upthread, I've had this be a very small number or even a negative one, when it probably shouldn't have been.

cheers
Here's some photos but will post more as I take it out for a test ride one day this week. Fit was good and encountered no problems at all and it was pretty straightforward setting up the derailleur. What was disappointing was the lack of instruction as to how to do this from the official channels as no paperwork was included and the official online resources were not good enough or very hard to track down. In the end I found some good resources on YT.

IMG_20200221_171142.jpg
IMG_20200221_171404.jpg
Why not just bolt the cassette to the rim!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers James