Are my wheels knackered or just wrong items?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Hudson1984

Are my wheels knackered or just wrong items?

Post by Hudson1984 »

I've got my bike back after assembly. Chuffed to bits

However, 4 mins on rollers notice a thud every revolution, pump tyre as was seemingly flat and could hear air escape.

Remove tube and there’s lumps in a few 4 places - looks like it’s squeezed into spokes which is hasn’t but that’s the look.

New tube, set in perfectly, pump roll same thing. Even turning bike on rollers to wrong way round to check rollers it’s still the same, front wheel. There’s nothing in the tyre, wheel looks fine and true tube last about a minute.

Rollers also seem fine.

Am I just using wrong tyres for the wheel?

The tape inside the wheel says only for double wall rims but assume that doesn’t make a difference

I’m using Campagnolo Calima wheels
Scwalbe Lugano tyres
Continental race tubes

I’m confused and annoyed
Marcus Aurelius

Re: Are my wheels knackered or just wrong items?

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

It sounds like the tube could be being forced into the spoke holes. You might not notice when you release the pressure, but it’s possible at full pressure, the tube is being forced into enough of the spoke holes to cause a problem. Or it could be simply a case of the valve cores not being screwed into place enough. Use a number 2 spoke key to tighten the cores up, or get yourself a core removal tool from Wiggle or something.
Last edited by Marcus Aurelius on 23 Feb 2020, 1:13pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hudson1984

Post by Hudson1984 »

Certainly what it looks like but no noticeable marks on rim tape and spokes seem tight. Really odd
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

if the rim tape is plastic and only just wide enough to cover the drillings in the rim (and/or can be displaced when the tyre is fitted) then the chances are excellent that, under full pressure, the rim tape is being pushed into the holes such that the edges of the holes are exposed and this will soon puncture the tube.

So look at the holes in the tube (shape, location) and look carefully at the rim tape.

A photo of you current setup would be useful.

Other possibilities include that
a) you have pinched the tube between the tyre and the rim and/or
b) that you have trapped the valve stem against the rim

b) would explain the bumping too. Apologies if this is obvious but you should always ensure that the valve is free and not trapped, and can be prodded into the tyre once the tyre is fitted.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Marcus Aurelius

As above, when fitting the tube, inflate it first a little bit, then gently push it up by the valve to make sure it’s fully in the tyre, also put the tube / tyre up to about half pressure and work your thumbs around the circumference of the tyre by the rim, to make sure the tyre isn’t tucking under and causing a pinch flat.
Hudson1984

Post by Hudson1984 »

https://imgur.com/YZcGYvr
https://imgur.com/iDQI3YZ
https://imgur.com/HzByyIE

so, same pattern in two places. only one of those is leaking air, neither are by the actual valve
Marcus Aurelius

Hudson1984 wrote:https://imgur.com/YZcGYvr
https://imgur.com/iDQI3YZ
https://imgur.com/HzByyIE

so, same pattern in two places. only one of those is leaking air, neither are by the actual valve

Those look like tuck under pinchies at first glance. Seating of the tyre could be the issue. There’s no issue with the rim tape that I can see.
Marcus Aurelius

Another thing sprung to mind as well. The tubes look like they may have been subject to overheating, possibly because of using the roller type turbo, on a normal road tyre. The carcass of the tyre may have been damaged as well, check for any visible bulges in the tyre. I would suggest using a turbo specific tyre might help.
thatsnotmyname

Post by thatsnotmyname »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:The tubes look like they may have been subject to overheating, possibly because of using the roller type turbo, on a normal road tyre.

I don't see any obvious signs of overheating, and a turbo roller will make no difference to that anyway. Using a normal tyre on a turbo - in any case - is absolutely fine.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Hudson1984 wrote:I've got my bike back after assembly. Chuffed to bits

However, 4 mins on rollers notice a thud every revolution, pump tyre as was seemingly flat and could hear air escape.

Remove tube and there’s lumps in a few 4 places - looks like it’s squeezed into spokes which is hasn’t but that’s the look.

New tube, set in perfectly, pump roll same thing. Even turning bike on rollers to wrong way round to check rollers it’s still the same, front wheel. There’s nothing in the tyre, wheel looks fine and true tube last about a minute. …..

daft question; was the tyre fully inflated? If there is insufficient pressure/too much load then this could cause problems quite quickly. Generally you would need to use higher pressures on some rollers than on the road, because the tyre contact area can be a lot smaller and is a curved shape too.

FWIW riding on the rollers/turbo trainer is much harder on tyres than riding on the road, especially if the rollers are small diameter ones, at low tyre pressure /high load etc. Hence there are such things as turbo tyres. But problems of this kind don't usually manifest themselves in a few minutes, whereas problems with tube installation (pinches, low pressure etc) do.

cheers
Hudson1984

Post by Hudson1984 »

I was sitting around 85/90 psi. So not really one way or another - too low or two high.

it was instantly noticeable - felt like there was a stone on the tyre is the only way I can explain the feeling.
RickH

Post by RickH »

To my eye it looks like a faulty inner tube.

I had a cheap & (not very) cheerful one, that I put in after a (rare) puncture, fail within a few minutes of use.

I tend to stick with Schwalbe or Continental tubes & have never had one of those fail on me. The cost of a couple of tubes every few years doesn't seem to warrant the saving of buying "cheap".
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Hudson1984

Post by Hudson1984 »

two tubes, both conti
Marcus Aurelius

The last time I personally saw tubes do that, was when a Continental GP4 seasons tyre failed on me, The carcass failed and the tube was being pushed into the gap. I actually didn’t notice what had happened until a second tube failed on the same ride, When I span the wheel, I could feel the bulge, but I couldn’t see it, until I looked very closely.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

how wide are your tyres? How much load is there on the tyres? What diameter are your rollers? Would you describe yourself as a powerful rider or not? Are you a spinner or a masher?

All these things can make a difference. 85-90psi might be just fine or constitute underinflation. IIRC Lugano tyres don't have very high upper pressure limit and (in skinny widths) are therefore problematic for heavier/stronger riders on the road. On the rollers they are likely to be worse than that.

cheers