A better chain wear checker?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
fausto99

A better chain wear checker?

Post by fausto99 »

Hate to admit I don't understand why using most chain checkers is not accurate (sorry Brucey). All that stuff about rollers and pins does my head in; too many words where a nice diagram would be much clearer to me. I also have trouble using a ruler while keeping some tension on the chain - is it me? Probably, yes.

Does this tool https://www.merlincycles.com/pedros-cha ... B4QAvD_BwE get around the objections?
reohn2

Re: A better chain wear checker?

Post by reohn2 »

fausto99 wrote:...... I also have trouble using a ruler while keeping some tension on the chain - is it me? Probably, yes......

Knock a nail in the shed wall,hang chain from it,pull chain taut with one hand whilst holding a rule up to the chain.
What could be simpler?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I've never got on with a chain checker.

Two good methods.
One, use the Campag system, but you need vernier callipers.
Chain measurement.png

Two - the best for me - is to use a 39" steel rule.
I have a small G clamp and using a short length of bar, I can clamp the chain at a whole inch position and stretch it out over a yard or so.
I helps if the chain is clean of course, and helps even more if you have a new chain you can clamp next to it.

TBH, I've got to the point of not worrying about chain length any more. I would measure it every time I took it off the clean it.
I can clean it far better and far easier nowadays with the Park Cyclone cleaner using the Screwfix degreaser.
Five minute job and can be as often as I like.
My chains are cleaner than ever now ................ and that's saying something, if you know about me and chain cleanliness. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
fausto99

Post by fausto99 »

No shed or it's raining/hail/snow/cold outside :lol:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

fausto99 wrote:No shed or it's raining/hail/snow/cold outside :lol:

Any vertical surface will do,inside or out.
OTOH if you really want to spend £14 be my guest.
Last edited by reohn2 on 24 Feb 2020, 12:52pm, edited 3 times in total.
W H Auden
fausto99

Post by fausto99 »

Mick F wrote:I can clean it far better and far easier nowadays with the Park Cyclone cleaner using the Screwfix degreaser. Five minute job

Very reluctant to hi-jack my own post here, but what do you do with the dirty degreaser and how do you stop the Park Cyclone cleaner spraying all over your chainstays, rear wheel, tyre, kitchen/garage floor...... :lol:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Idea No2

A 1m length of 2x1 timber with a nail knocked in it,lay it on any flat surface hook chain on the nail,pull chain taut,measure with a steel rule
W H Auden
slowster

Post by slowster »

I think your money would be better spent on a similarly priced digital caliper (assuming you don't already have one), and using the method Brucey detailed in his thread Unequivocal chain wear measurement?.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

fausto99 wrote:
Mick F wrote:I can clean it far better and far easier nowadays with the Park Cyclone cleaner using the Screwfix degreaser. Five minute job

Very reluctant to hi-jack my own post here, but what do you do with the dirty degreaser and how do you stop the Park Cyclone cleaner spraying all over your chainstays, rear wheel, tyre, kitchen/garage floor...... :lol:
Not wishing to hijack either! :D

If you use it steadily and gently, there is little on no spray. Do it in top gear ie small/outer.
If your cassette is so dirty you need to change gears, you've left it way too late and you'd be better stripping the cassette off and removing the chain and use the jar method.

If you use the Screwfix degreaser, it will wash down away down the sink. Use the degreaser 50/50 with plain water.
The Cyclone will wash in the fresh water too and will be clean.

........... anyway, back to the point of your OP.

The nail (with the head removed) on the wall method works best if you have a new chain to compare it to. No ruler or tools required. Excellent system. Foolproof I reckon.
Mick F. Cornwall
rjb

Post by rjb »

I rotate the chain on the tandem every month now. The old chain gets cleaned and hang on a nail with a new one for comparison behind. I don't get too hung up about chain wear :lol:
Bruce's post from 3 years may provide some help. You've got plenty of time to take it in whilst it's still raining.
viewtopic.php?t=115336 :wink:
Oops someone else has linked to this post upthread. :oops:
Last edited by rjb on 24 Feb 2020, 1:56pm, edited 1 time in total.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

reohn2 wrote:
fausto99 wrote:...... I also have trouble using a ruler while keeping some tension on the chain - is it me? Probably, yes......

Knock a nail in the shed wall,hang chain from it,pull chain taut with one hand whilst holding a rule up to the chain.
What could be simpler?

A dedicated go-nogo gauge - which is what this is. It may be a lot of money, but in principle it's a better engineering solution than measuring for wear.

Measuring with rulers/calipers is more error-prone - if you're fine with that, well done, you've saved a few quid :)
Last edited by mattheus on 24 Feb 2020, 2:21pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

My favourite chain checking method is what I call the run it till it’s crap / broken method. I ride with a given chain until the chain slips on hard efforts / hills, to the point it gets annoying, or it breaks, I carry quick links just in case.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, that only works if you buy the cheaper end of stuff.
Mercian has a Campag 10sp cassette and they ain't cheap.
Moulton has a Shimano 10sp cassette, and cheap as chips in comparison.

When the Campag cassette wears ............. usually the smaller cogs ............ I'll be fitting Shimano. My hub will take both Shimano and Campag. I'll worry about how the Ergos are going to work with Shimano when the time comes.

Gone are the days that I'll be spending nearly £90 for a cassette when I can pay half that with Shimano AND be able to buy separate cogs without a mortgage.
Mick F. Cornwall
whoof

Post by whoof »

Brucey

Post by Brucey »

There are folk who are allergic to any form of measurement; for them this is 'double the effort' (ahem) but two nails on the wall provides an easy method of comparing a new chain with an old chain. No measurements required, because most chains are about 100 links long; thus 1% wear is ~1/2" or one link. 0.5% wear (a 'safe chain change point') is half this.

BTW most chain wear checkers are not strictly speaking 'accurate' because of variable roller measurements/tolerances. But that needn't stop you from using them to change the chain at a safe point, it is just that you don't know what that point is, exactly, and it might vary from one chain type to another.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~