Retro-fitting a braze-on front mech to a folder

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
horizon

Retro-fitting a braze-on front mech to a folder

Post by horizon »

This is a bit of day-dreaming really but if anyone has any comments then please feel free.

I might want to get a Tern Link 16 (20" wheel) with a front double but they no longer import them and I cannot find one second-hand. My Tern Node 16 (24" wheel) does have the braze-on and Tern Link D8s are commonly available new and second-hand. How easy/hard would it be to retro-fit a front mech (I'm assuming you need to braze on the fitting)? The frame is alu.

More on this here:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=107914
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Mike Sales

Re: Retro-fitting a braze-on front mech to a folder

Post by Mike Sales »

horizon wrote:This is a bit of day-dreaming really but if anyone has any comments then please feel free.

I might want to get a Tern Link 16 (20" wheel) with a front double but they no longer import them and I cannot find one second-hand. My Tern Node 16 (24" wheel) does have the braze-on and Tern Link D8s are commonly available new and second-hand. How easy/hard would it be to retro-fit a front mech (I'm assuming you need to braze on the fitting)? The frame is alu.

More on this here:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=107914

There are clamp on fittings for front mechs, designed for conventional frames in a variety of sizes. You may find it possible to fit one.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
horizon

Post by horizon »

Thanks Mike. While you were posting I found this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lightweight-Al ... 0012.m1985

which might solve the problem.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

The Tern Node -like many folders- has a slightly odd frame geometry which means BB is not on the seat tube centreline. This means that a standard band-on FD (even supposing the band can be made long enough) won't fit very well because the angle is wrong and the FD cage won't sit against the chainrings in the right way. It'll be worse than if the FD is meant for a completely different size of chainring.

To overcome that one method is to take a standard band-on/braze-on adaptor, and remachine it (and/or the FD itself) so that a braze-on type FD sits at a better angle.

For some bikes you don't need to make your own adaptor; third parties make them as a stock item.

the above are comparable parts meant for a Dahon model. The same manufacturer may do the same kind of thing for your favoured Tern. It is even possible that the seat tube size/offset is the same between different models/manufacturers, in which case you are on easy street.

hth

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
horizon

Post by horizon »

Thanks for that Brucey. It wouldn't surprise me if the Dahon and the Tern are the same as I regularly swap over the seat post from my Tern to a Dahon Vitesse. I would be happy to explore the whole shebang with the Dahon and then swap it all over to a Tern Link if one comes up (or even keep the Dahon).

I found the clamp that you show - the problem now is just getting one from some far-flung Asian country! It looks like it comes in at around £29 which would be OK.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271963986245

Update: well I've ordered it so we shall see!
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

horizon wrote:Thanks Mike. While you were posting I found this:

I put one of these on my Brompton last year, now have a triple chainring set up working fine.
horizon

Post by horizon »

horizon wrote:
I found the clamp that you show - the problem now is just getting one from some far-flung Asian country! It looks like it comes in at around £29 which would be OK.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271963986245

Update: well I've ordered it so we shall see!

Well it's arrived! Given the circumstances and the fact that it was posted from Hong Kong I think that's quite amazing. It is as described and looks like it will do the job - now just to find the time to do it.
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

rualexander wrote:

I put one of these on my Brompton last year, now have a triple chainring set up working fine.

That sounds interesting and I might try this myself so can you give some more information e.g. what size chainrings, what chain tensioner or RD used please?
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

rotavator wrote:
rualexander wrote:

That sounds interesting and I might try this myself so can you give some more information e.g. what size chainrings, what chain tensioner or RD used please?

42-34-26 chainrings.
Standard Brompton tensioner.
Shimano Claris front derailleur https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/derailleurs ... r-brazeon/

I have subsequently also upgraded to a triple rear sprocket on the BWR rear hub using https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/sprockets/m ... 12-14-17t/

So my gear inches range is now 16"-88".
drossall

Post by drossall »

This thread is useless without pictures...
Patrickpioneer

Post by Patrickpioneer »

drossall wrote:This thread is useless without pictures...

have a look at this
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=117916&hilit=brompton+front+mech
2_i

Post by 2_i »

Brucey wrote:the above are comparable parts meant for a Dahon model. The same manufacturer may do the same kind of thing for your favoured Tern. It is even possible that the seat tube size/offset is the same between different models/manufacturers, in which case you are on easy street.

The particular pictured adapter is actually mediocre, because the thinned extended alu finger, holding the derailleur, bends over time. Other adapters, with shorter and thicker fingers, and usually cheaper, work well better.
horizon

Post by horizon »

2_i wrote:
Brucey wrote:the above are comparable parts meant for a Dahon model. The same manufacturer may do the same kind of thing for your favoured Tern. It is even possible that the seat tube size/offset is the same between different models/manufacturers, in which case you are on easy street.

The particular pictured adapter is actually mediocre, because the thinned extended alu finger, holding the derailleur, bends over time. Other adapters, with shorter and thicker fingers, and usually cheaper, work well better.

This is the only one I found. I think there is also an issue with the "offsetness" of the tubing which Brucey might have alluded to above and which might require a long finger.

The one I bought wasn't cheap (but looks OK) but if you can point to any others I would be interested.
2_i

Post by 2_i »

horizon wrote:This is the only one I found. I think there is also an issue with the "offsetness" of the tubing which Brucey might have alluded to above and which might require a long finger.

The one I bought wasn't cheap (but looks OK) but if you can point to any others I would be interested.

The angle is indeed an issue and adapters marketed for different brands can yield a slightly angle and range of placement that compensates for the angle. For fine adjustments you need this asymmetric washer:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sram-FDRS0002-Adjustment-Derailleur-11-7615-011-000/dp/B003RLK1WQ

The sturdier adapters with nominally the same functionality as the one you got include these:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10000022927644.html

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Foldable-Bike-Front-Derailleur-Adapter-Clamp-Aluminum-Alloy-Conversion-UK/233567605023

However, you need to use a flat washer with these on the bolt side, rather than a rounded one that comes with the derailleur.
horizon

Post by horizon »

(Firstly some belated thanks to 2_i)

I'm resurrecting this thread because I have now acquired the Tern Link D8 as alluded to in the OP. I've transferred the Spa double crankset over from my Tern Node (which all went well) and have fitted the Litepro braze-on adaptor. I'm now ready to purchase and install a suitable front mech.

I'm anticipating some problems with the positioning and smooth running of the FD and also some issues on the cable run. So if anyone would like to keep an eye on this thread as it progresses I would be very grateful!