Best car to put a bike in?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mikeymo

Re: Best car to put a bike in?

Post by mikeymo »

andrewwillans49 wrote:Having completed The Dunwich Dynamo, my son and I cycled back to Framlingham where my sister picked us up in her BMW 1 series. Both wheels off both bikes, two thirds split seat down. Was a tight fit. So two bike and three people in a relatively compact car. Took about ten minutes to load everything in.
In summary, any motor car would do as long as you're prepared to remove a wheel or two. Amazed the question has been asked.

Why are you "amazed"? Would it be less "amazing" if I were to cycle round every car dealer to try cars out? Is it more or less "amazing" to take two wheels off instead of one?
Smudgerii

Post by Smudgerii »

Mitsubishi L200

Just throw the bike in the flat bed, then burn the Derv at 28mpg...
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Samuel D wrote:Pretty much anything will hold a bicycle; you just need to learn how to load it so neither car nor bicycle are harmed.

I have one of the smallest cars on the road, a 2009 Citroën C1, and it has often carried two people and my bicycle. I once had two bicycles in it (all doors and windows closed), though that was an unreasonable puzzle.

BITD; tandem in a Mini (a proper mini, that is), with the crew. Also three touring bikes (with their riders) inside a Metro. I often used to put a bike in the boot of a Metro and still have all the seats up.

But as one of the early replies to this thread hinted, it depends on the size of your bike, as well as the size of your car.

If the OP has a folding bike, even a rudimentary one, then any car will do.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RickH

Post by RickH »

Valbrona wrote:Cars suck.

... Squeeze

... Bang

... Blow

At least that is how I learned the 4 stroke sequence at an early ag. :D
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

mikeymo wrote:
andrewwillans49 wrote:Having completed The Dunwich Dynamo, my son and I cycled back to Framlingham where my sister picked us up in her BMW 1 series. Both wheels off both bikes, two thirds split seat down. Was a tight fit. So two bike and three people in a relatively compact car. Took about ten minutes to load everything in.
In summary, any motor car would do as long as you're prepared to remove a wheel or two. Amazed the question has been asked.

Why are you "amazed"? Would it be less "amazing" if I were to cycle round every car dealer to try cars out? Is it more or less "amazing" to take two wheels off instead of one?

I did exactly that .......... :lol:

Cycled down to the dealer on my bent trike.
Explained that I wanted to be able to fit it in the back of something unfolded.
Then explained about my disability and asked "what have you got" ??
Went out and looked at the Peugeot, measured up the size without the back seats in to double check if the trike would fit.
It would, so a I put a deposit down and a week later I had a mobile garage for the trike ...... :lol:

YMMV ............ :D
mjr

Post by mjr »

Your bikes are probably small, not-heavy, with no mudguards and no fittings such as brake mounts attached to the forks or stays which can be damaged if bashed wrong while the wheels are removed.

The reason the question gets asked so much is that no-one publishes vehicle load space dimensions online. A few sites list capacities, but it doesn't necessarily matter if it's a thousand litre capacity if it's of a shape that won't easily fit bikes in or has a restricted entrance.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

mjr wrote:The reason the question gets asked so much is that no-one publishes vehicle load space dimensions online.
This one gives many useful dimensions because they are interested in getting wheelchairs in. https://www.ridc.org.uk/features-review ... ng-car/car
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

Smudgerii wrote:Mitsubishi L200

Just throw the bike in the flat bed, then burn the Derv at 28mpg...

28 mpg? I should be so lucky. I get 23mpg out of my Subaru :(
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

Brucey wrote:
Samuel D wrote:Pretty much anything will hold a bicycle; you just need to learn how to load it so neither car nor bicycle are harmed.

I have one of the smallest cars on the road, a 2009 Citroën C1, and it has often carried two people and my bicycle. I once had two bicycles in it (all doors and windows closed), though that was an unreasonable puzzle.

BITD; tandem in a Mini (a proper mini, that is), with the crew. Also three touring bikes (with their riders) inside a Metro. I often used to put a bike in the boot of a Metro and still have all the seats up.

But as one of the early replies to this thread hinted, it depends on the size of your bike, as well as the size of your car.

If the OP has a folding bike, even a rudimentary one, then any car will do.

cheers

Thanks. Yes, as per other thread, I'll have to resurrect the folder. Though there are times I'd like to get a "proper" bike in the back
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

tatanab wrote:
mjr wrote:The reason the question gets asked so much is that no-one publishes vehicle load space dimensions online.
This one gives many useful dimensions because they are interested in getting wheelchairs in. https://www.ridc.org.uk/features-review ... ng-car/car

That's an excellent resource, thanks.
Hudson1984

Post by Hudson1984 »

mikeymo wrote:Preferably electric (the car).

I'll probably need to change my car soon. Some of my commutes aren't really bikeable, except the last few miles. I've got access to a Honda Jazz. Which I can get the bike in with the front wheel off. Though I'm not crazy about the car itself.

My ideal car is a traditional flat back estate. I'd like something small/medium with lowish fuel consumption.

Anybody got any suggestions for a car that's easy to get a bike in and out of? Anybody got a Leaf?

Cheers.

depends largely on budget. I mean I'd go Volvo every day of the week - by far the most comfortable thing to drive and with their hybrid engine (if it's in budget) it's a great cheap to run choice. We have an XC60 and love EVERY mile.

that being said, my company car is a 1.5tdci Focus, which whilst being the most boring car ever made, does fit my road bike in the back without removing anything...can't fit anything else in the back but it does go in.

I've been thinking of the same thing as you - and interestingly, people give largely the same responses of "take both wheels off and it'll fit in anything" or "just get a tow rack" or similar. BUT if you actually want to put your bike in a car these replies aren't great.

If you want the bike upright, you're very limited, not many vehicles will have the head-height to do that even with front wheel off.

You could, think slightly outside the box and go for a transit tourneo connect, I think you can just about get the bike in without taking anything off.

plenty of other van type cars similar.

Personally, i'm going the VW T5 route for bike duties and then keeping the company car for the dull stuff. But all down to what you want to spend and what you really want it to do for you.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

We have a t5 caravelle and we manage all the suitcases for the six of us in the boot and then the road bike minus it's front wheel on top attached to the bench seat with a long rolson flat bungie.

Ok the kids bikes don't fit but that's not my problem! I need a holiday too! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers James
markyp

Post by markyp »

Citroen C4 Picasso - ideal!
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

I have a Ford Focus estate diesel. I need to take off the front wheel, but fuel consumption is amazing. About 50 mpg
I want to go electric in the next year or so
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
andrewwillans49

Post by andrewwillans49 »

Our bikes were 60 cm bikes. Full mudguards, mine had a rear rack and a front wheel Dynamo set up. 2 spade connectors, why assume our bikes were small? I'm 6'1", son is 6'3".
Proper audax set up