Best car to put a bike in?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mikeymo

Best car to put a bike in?

Post by mikeymo »

Preferably electric (the car).

I'll probably need to change my car soon. Some of my commutes aren't really bikeable, except the last few miles. I've got access to a Honda Jazz. Which I can get the bike in with the front wheel off. Though I'm not crazy about the car itself.

My ideal car is a traditional flat back estate. I'd like something small/medium with lowish fuel consumption.

Anybody got any suggestions for a car that's easy to get a bike in and out of? Anybody got a Leaf?

Cheers.
Last edited by mikeymo on 5 Mar 2020, 12:42am, edited 1 time in total.
NickJP

Re: Best car to put a bike in?

Post by NickJP »

We just bought a Hyundai Kona EV. One of the requirements was that my wife could fit her bike inside when the back seats were folded down without removing the front wheel. In fact, we can fit two bikes in the back, though I have to remove the front wheel on mine because it's a much larger frame.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Skodia Fabia Estate 1.0 petrol, I saw one in the car park of the local business park and spoke to the gent there as I was curios. The folks have a fabia hatch and its decent enough, the newer ones should be better.
The Seat Ibizia ST 1.0 eco petrol though not many in number second hand are actually a bit more economical than the Skoda, boot boot/body similar, the Leon ST is longer, the Ibiza though is narrower by 26cm at the widest point - excl wing mirrors (though still almost as wide as a B5.5 Passat Estate!)

totally electric, Nissan Leaf, no chance, the boot is tiny, more room in a Corsa.
NickJP wrote:We just bought a Hyundai Kona EV. One of the requirements was that my wife could fit her bike inside when the back seats were folded down without removing the front wheel. In fact, we can fit two bikes in the back, though I have to remove the front wheel on mine because it's a much larger frame.

The Kona doesn't have a particularly big boot, hence why you had to take your front wheel off, whilst it might suit for yourself the OP specifically stated they want a vehicle that you don't have to take the wheel off every time they put the bike in, it's also an SUV type.
Last edited by The utility cyclist on 5 Mar 2020, 1:35am, edited 1 time in total.
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

The utility cyclist wrote:OP specifically stated they want a vehicle that you don't have to take the wheel off every time they put the bike in, it's also an SUV type.

I don't think I did really.

"Easy" includes taking the front wheel off. With QRs it's not really a big deal. I don't suppose there are that many cars that will take a bike without taking the front wheel off. At least not upright. I ran Volvo 940s for a long time. A bike will go in one of those (well, so will a small nuclear power station), but only on it's side, which I don't really like on a derailleur bike with discs. Whichever side you lay it on somethings asking to get damaged. The bike will (just) go in the back of the Jazz with the wheel on, I think I've done it once. But it was a bit of a tussle, and all a bit scratchy.

I know what you mean about the Leaf. But over on Leaf forums lots of people do claim to be getting a bike (or even two!) into a Leaf. Presumably with the front wheel off.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Seemed to me that's what you implied by mentioning that you had to take the front wheel off, otherwise why bother even saying that's what you have to do? :?
oh well, luck finding something.
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

The utility cyclist wrote:Seemed to me that's what you implied by mentioning that you had to take the front wheel off, otherwise why bother even saying that's what you have to do? :?
oh well, luck finding something.

You inferred, I didn't imply.

Thanks for the advice, I'll look at Fabias (Fabiae?).
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

It depends a lot on the bike, but I.M.E. Volvo V70s are superb, and ( weirdly ) Mitsubishi Colts ( unusually) the rear seats slide forward, and also fold down flat, which means there’s plenty of room to fit a 57cm framed road bike, with or without the front wheel off.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

V70 only does 30mpg and looks like a hearse! No wonder Volvo stopped making them a few years ago!
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

Austin Metro.

Cool 8) and bigger inside than many much 8) larger cars
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Austin Maxi, even bigger
Or Fiat Tipo, car of the year 1989 :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

philvantwo wrote:V70 only does 30mpg and looks like a hearse! No wonder Volvo stopped making them a few years ago!

I used to get 45mpg out of my d5 model.

They were built like nothing else too.

Cheers James
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

Stick with the Honda Jazz (gutless unless revved hard but at 70mpg that shortcoming is soon forgiven) three bikes fit in easily, upright with the front wheel off
fausto99

Post by fausto99 »

For a bike with mudguards, any estate car, Ford Focus size or larger.
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

Thanks for the ideas folks. Should have said, 54cm Ridgeback Panorama (touring bike, so long chain stays) with mudguards.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

I used a Mk1 Fabia Estate for a while, I could get my bike (small) in with just the seats folded forward, or more easily with the rear seats removed (quick release catches).The rear entrance was a touch awkward
and you had to twist the bike to clear the bar/roof as I recall. I stacked two bike on top of each other with front wheels in place a couple of times.I found it easiest to drag the bike in through the rear passenger door once the bars were in.Picture of two bikes in a Fabia with rear seats removed:-
P1040297.JPG

I don't have a car at the moment and have been looking for something to tote the bike occasionally,
I think the Toyota Auris might work , they do a hybrid version, I've not looked too closely at the dimensions, though they look big enough , too pricey even second hand for me. I'll probably get another Fabia if I bother, they are super economical in a lot of the versions.
Some Toyota Auris and other dimensions here:-

https://www.automobiledimension.com/mod ... ports-2015
Nu-Fogey