Elusive Bottom Bracket

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
COYB

Elusive Bottom Bracket

Post by COYB »

Searching for a Bottom Bracket 73 mm x 124.5 mm but they seem impossible to find. I've been told a 73 mm x 127 mm would work, as I could fettle the front derailleur but a 2.5 mm seems a lot to me. Any ideas please.
Brucey

Re: Elusive Bottom Bracket

Post by Brucey »

In some cartridge BBs the spindle can be reversed in the cups and used the wrong way round; this can make a longer spindle at least give the correct chainline.

Alternatively if you can use a three-piece BB then you might be able to use thick-walled cups and a BB spindle meant for a 70mm shell to do what you want.

For example at SJS they have Neco cups (which I think are thick-walled although they don't say so) and you could use a 5S spindle with them. If it works as I hope it might fit nicely to a 73mm shell and give about the right chainline too.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2_i

Post by 2_i »

Could you work with spacers, positioning the BB asymmetrically?
fausto99

Post by fausto99 »

Those Shimano UNxx BBs can be used with a spacer can't they? Use the 73 x 122 + a spacer on the drive side. A Sturmey-Archer AW hub cog washer or two will do the job usually.
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

Could you not have the BB shell faced to 68mm if it helps the situation?
I should coco.
COYB

Post by COYB »

Many thanks for all the helpful suggestions regarding my " Elusive Bottom Bracket " which is now sorted. I have an embarrassing confession to make regarding the repair. I removed the BB to check ID, when I refitted it I used a torque wrench so the BB must have been loose all along. It must be an age thing, senior moment.
fausto99

Post by fausto99 »

COYB wrote: It must be an age thing, senior moment.
I'm sure we've all been there :lol: