Spokes - best place to buy?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Mick F
Spambuster

Spokes - best place to buy?

Postby Mick F » 25 Mar 2020, 2:47pm

I need a full set of SS spokes for a project.
36h both wheels.

Measured and calculated, I need 289mm x 36 for the front ........... and 294mm x 18 and 296mm x 18 for the rear.
Plain gauge 14g is fine. I don't need anything special.

SJS seems the best place to get the whole lot.
£2.50 postage
12 packs of six @ £2.49 each = £29.88 + £2.50 = £32.88

I've looked on eBay and their are bargains, but not at all the sizes I want. I suppose I could get some from eBay and some from SJS.

Advice please.
Is there a better and cheaper alternative?

It seems to me that spokes have shot up in price over the years.
Is this true?
Mick F. Cornwall

Brucey

Re: Spokes - best place to buy?

Postby Brucey » 25 Mar 2020, 2:50pm

cyclebasket sell ACI DB stainless spokes for a good price (about half what you would pay elsewhere)

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Morzedec

Postby Morzedec » 25 Mar 2020, 2:50pm

Oh come on, Mick, it's obvious: the be-spoke cycling shop. Don't they have one in Gunny?

Happy days,

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 25 Mar 2020, 2:58pm

Brucey wrote:cyclebasket sell ACI DB stainless spokes for a good price (about half what you would pay elsewhere)
Thanks, I'll check them out.
Mick F. Cornwall

peetee

Postby peetee » 25 Mar 2020, 5:52pm

I used to get my DT spokes from Rose Bikes in Germany.
Buying in packs of 20 for each length + nipples gives you a few spare and a total inc postage of £26. 70.
Delivery was around 5 days.
Current status report:
Back on two wheels in deepest Pastyland and loving every minute. Mission: to enjoy big, bad hills again.

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 25 Mar 2020, 6:23pm

Morzedec wrote:Oh come on, Mick, it's obvious: the be-spoke cycling shop. Don't they have one in Gunny?

Happy days,

Or their online outfit spokeyblokey.com motto 'Never knowingly misspoken"

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 25 Mar 2020, 6:39pm

Thanks guys. Loadsa smiles! :lol:

Unless someone comes up with a better suggestion, I'll be going with Brucey's Cycle Basket.
Mick F. Cornwall

hemo

Postby hemo » 25 Mar 2020, 6:40pm

I use Ryanswheels.
https://www.spokesfromryan.com/checkout ... 6r4njfAOWk

Very fast turn around.

alexnharvey

Postby alexnharvey » 25 Mar 2020, 6:52pm

https://www.spokesfromryan.com/product-category/spokes/

Twenty quid for Sapim PG, 31 for double butted (dlights).

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 25 Mar 2020, 7:41pm

Mick F wrote:Thanks guys. Loadsa smiles! :lol:

Unless someone comes up with a better suggestion, I'll be going with Brucey's Cycle Basket.

actually it was SimonCelsa who recently reminded me of this source; I've not used ACI spokes for some years but my preferred spoke brands (DT and Sapim, esp when sourced from the UK) have turned 'stupid expensive' in recent years. So ACI spokes are getting another tryout in my wheels, for my own use at first.

cheers

PH

Postby PH » 25 Mar 2020, 7:47pm

A third recommendation for Ryan, helpful and knowledgeable if you need any help or advice.

SimonCelsa

Postby SimonCelsa » 25 Mar 2020, 8:08pm

I have built half a dozen or so wheels with the ACI DB spokes from Cyclebasket and upto now I have encountered no problems.

Quick despatch & well packaged. They usually arrive in a 'signed for' package so can be a pain for you and the postie if you're not in (i.e a trip to the local Royal Mail depot). Although having said that, they are usually so well 'swaddled' and tightly wrapped they'll fit through most standard letterboxes - 80 pcs anyhow.

Haven't found anything cheaper online, although haven't really looked that hard.

Recommended.

Carlton green

Postby Carlton green » 25 Mar 2020, 8:41pm

A few weeks ago I bought 36 Saplin Stainless Steels spokes for £14 delivered. I used eBay and the seller was handbuiltwheels, IIRC he’s in Brighton.

Historically I generally use SJS for most of my cycling stuff - sometimes SPA too - they hold a fantastic range of parts, are usually reasonably price competitive (I’m tight and have limited loyalty, so sometimes I use other suppliers) and they have given me excellent service over many years.

If someone is stuck then, from Brucey’s Stainless Steel Spoke thread, I became more aware of Z ended spokes. Those spokes can be used as easy fit spares and it’s not unknown for someone to build a wheel from them too (form from longer salvaged spokes). You need a bit of skill to both make the Z end and to set the bend at the wanted length too, but I have a plan and for spares I’ll be having a go at knocking up some of that type over the next month or two - I suspect that making such spokes would be well within the skill base of the OP.
Last edited by Carlton green on 25 Mar 2020, 8:58pm, edited 2 times in total.

martin biggs

Postby martin biggs » 25 Mar 2020, 8:43pm

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 25 Mar 2020, 8:58pm

Carlton green wrote:….If someone is stuck then, on Brucey’s Stainless Steel Spoke thread, I became more aware of Z ended spokes. Those spooked can be used as easy fit spares and it’s not unknown to build a wheel from them (form longer salvaged spokes). You need a bit of skill to make the Z end and to length too but I’ll be having a go at knocking up some of that type over the next month or two - I suspect that making such spokes would be well within the skill base of the OP.

If you want to shorten and re-use spokes for a new build, best to cut them and rethread them IMHO.

Making good bends is less easy than it looks; it is easy to make a bend that is bad enough that it will limit the fatigue life of the spoke (this is how many of the duff new spokes I have ever seen have gone wrong). In a Z bend spoke you are reliant on two DIY bends rather than one bend of controlled radius made in a factory; this is a recipe for an unreliable wheel IMHO, even if you can stress-relieve the spokes properly in the built wheel (which I doubt).

cheers