Spokes - best place to buy?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Brucey

Re: Spokes - best place to buy?

Post by Brucey »

Mick F wrote:.....This means that anything touched by an infected person would be rid of the virus so long as it's left in bright sunshine within a short while.

It was on the BBC only during the week just gone.

If you read the link I posted (a BBC website, rather than a possibly misremembered remark) amongst other things it says

Another study found that the longer flu particles were exposed to sunlight for – and the more concentrated it was – the less likely they were to remain infectious. Alas, the study looked at flu suspended in the air, rather than dried onto objects.

All this means that using sunlight to disinfect surfaces is extremely problematic.
First of all, no one knows how long it takes to deactivate Covid-19 with sunlight, or what strength is needed. And even if they did, the amount of UV in sunlight varies depending on the time of day, the weather, the season, and where in the world you live – especially which latitude – so this wouldn’t be a reliable way to kill the virus.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Fine.

It wasn't "a remark", it was a complete article about it.
Mick F. Cornwall
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Mick F wrote:Fine.

It wasn't "a remark", it was a complete article about it.

if so it was one that isn't actually backed up with any research on the bug in question; the research has not been done yet.

All they can do is extrapolate from the response of other viruses to sunlight/UV. This is complicated by the conditions of test, e.g. if UVA, UVV, UVC or some combination thereof are used, whether the bug is in droplets or on a surface, if that surface is absorbent or not. In addition there is a big unknown in that this virus might be different from others which they do know something about. It isn't quite as bad as outright guesswork but the simple fact is they don't know how long it takes to kill this bug with sunlight. They don't even know how long it hangs around on surfaces for, come to that.

I don't have any vested interest in what is written in the link I posted. All I do know is that other informed written sources do not offer anything which contradicts it. If you disagree with what it says, take it up with them, not me, and consider the possibility that if your views are different you may be acting on/spreading misinformation.

cheers
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Ok Brucey.
I'll suggest that no-one knows much at all as yet.
The experts can't agree.

We're all going to die from it. It'll get stronger and stronger and any immunity some of us have will vanish.
How's that for a prediction? :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Mick F wrote:…. any immunity some of us have will vanish.....

its doubtful that anyone has 'immunity' per se; you have to have had it -or something nearly identical to it- for that to happen. This is a big problem with this particular virus because it has jumped species, it is different to anything anyone has had before. It has some similarities to previous bugs (it is not entirely genetically novel) but it is different enough that there are many unknowns about it. All you can do if you get it is hope that your immune system is strong enough to recognise it and produce antibodies quickly enough to overcome it, and that in the meantime you don't pass it on to others. If your immune system doesn't work well and you get really sick, your chances of coming down with a secondary respiratory infection are pretty high, which is why intensive care beds are in short supply.

You know how Europeans took things like smallpox and 'flu to America and the indigenous population practically got wiped out? Same deal.

Before we get to 'herd immunity' something like 80% of us will have had it. However if that all happens at once, lots of people are going to die, simply because there won't be the resources to look after that many sick people at once. Despite the measures in force, the number of new cases in the UK seems to be rising quite quickly; perhaps not at the same rate it might be otherwise, but we are still in the poop; the NHS is likely soon to be overwhelmed.

cheers
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

mattsccm wrote:I use cyclebasket. I am as tight as a tight thing so price means all.

are they that cheap?
I once wanted a single spare wheel cone they had in stock.
They insisted on it being sent by courier at some out of all proportion minimum delivery cost.
My reasoning that it could be popped in an envelope cut no ice with them.
I found it very odd and passed.
Sweep
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

I've used spokes bought from Spokesave in the past. Recommended on this forum. Maybe they are still trading? Based somewhere in Gloucester if I recall.

I used to buy from Spokesave but their website has disappeared so maybe they have finished?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mick F wrote:I'll be ordering the rear spokes from Ryan later today.
The costs seem ok, but they come without nipples.
I have quite a selection of spares and more than enough, so I won't be ordering them.
18+18 spokes arrived today from Ryan.

Excellent service.
Ordered on Sunday noon, and received a confirmation email almost straight away.
Received another email yesterday tea-time that the order was processed, and they were there in the post this afternoon.
£11odd for 36 Sapim Leader spokes, postage included.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

His card.

Note he is in Bristol.
Note he has a Bristolian accent and idioms.

You have to pronounce, "True, that." in a Bristolian way with the "That" as "Thaaaat". :D
IMG_0100.jpg
IMG_0101.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
Des49

Post by Des49 »

Thanks for the recommendation Mick.

Ryan's prices seem pretty good for those who use Sapim spokes.
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

I use Ryanswheels.
https://www.spokesfromryan.com/checkout ... 6r4njfAOWk

Very fast turn around.

I can vouch for that - I got my spare spokes in less than 24 hours