Braze-ons for a RH front brake

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
pwa

Re: Braze-ons for a RH front brake

Post by pwa »

The RH / LH lever for back or front is, I'm convinced, just what you are used to. If you expect your right lever to work the front brake you are better off sticking with that. But you can usually run a cable from either lever to either brake satisfactorily. I have right lever to back brake and have done that for decades. It works fine and I have no problem signalling, so it stays that way. My wife has them the other way round and she manages fine too. But I could change them round on both our bikes with no problems.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mercian's braze-ons for the rear brake are central on the top of the top-tube.
The rear brake is on the left, and the cable leaves the lever past the left hand side of the stem.

Being on the left, is exactly the same on Moulton. The rear brake braze-ons are on the left of the twin rails and the cable leaves the LH lever down the left hand side of the stem.
On the Dawes Mixte, there are also twin rails of course, but the braze-ons are on the right. This is the thing that is weird to me at least. It may be "normal" for older bikes, but it's news to me.

The Dawes was originally fitted with centre-pulls and not side-pulls.
IMG_0096.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
Rod Goodfellow

Post by Rod Goodfellow »

Left lever for front brake dates from the time most of us rode single fixed with one front brake and needed to brake and signal right turns simultaneously.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

When my dad bought me a brand new bike for my 12th birthday, he bought an export model Hercules AMF.
I rode it the five(?) miles home, but the weird thing - to me at least - at my tender age - was that the brakes were the wrong way round.
After getting home, I swapped them round straight away.
Cable operated, so it was just a matter of swapping the cables left for right at the levers.

I'm certain the rear brake cable would have been clipped on the LEFT because the Sturmey Archer 3sp cable (and pulley under the seat lug) were on the right of the top tube obviously.

Having a rear brake cable on the right ............. irrespective of which way round the bake levers are ................... is just plain weird to me.
Mick F. Cornwall
fausto99

Post by fausto99 »

To MickF: My Moulton has the rear brake cable on the right. The original GB sidepull brakes had the cable entry/clamp on that side. Does your Moulton not have that?

I brazed the cable fittings on myself but I'm pretty sure I positioned them where the old plastic clips had been.

Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

This is my Moulton.
Very different to yours.
New Bag.jpeg
TSR90
10sp Triple with a SA3sp.
Mick F. Cornwall
Des49

Post by Des49 »

Rod Goodfellow wrote:Left lever for front brake dates from the time most of us rode single fixed with one front brake and needed to brake and signal right turns simultaneously.

Can't remember where the brakes were on bikes when I was a kid, but cycling to work in the eighties I finished the journey downhill, in traffic and turning right. It really was a struggle to slow or hold position and signal safely whether on gears or fixed. I swapped the brakes on the bike to left hand front, being left handed felt more natural anyway. Been that way ever since.

Great thing is I met my wife to be a couple years later through cycling - not only did she have her front brake on the left, but she also had the same inside leg measurement - couldn't be a better match!

Only thing is my daughters for some reason prefer their front brakes on the right, but less of a problem as I don't use their bikes except for a short test after maintenance.
fausto99

Post by fausto99 »

Mick F wrote:This is my Moulton.
Very different to yours.New Bag.jpegTSR90

Yes, I knew that, now that I think about it; you've posted photos before. :oops:
peetee

Post by peetee »

fausto99 wrote:
Mick F wrote:This is my Moulton.
Very different to yours.New Bag.jpegTSR90

Yes, I knew that, now that I think about it; you've posted photos before. :oops:

Both lovely bikes though. I’d be happy with either....both would be even better! :D
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

If I had to live my life over again, and knowing what I know now, I wouldn't have bought the damned thing! :D
TSR30 with Shimano Tiagra STIs, Tektro brakes, 11-26 cassette and a 34/48/54 chainset were all awful. Terrible range and stupidly low top gear.
The saddle the bike came with was awful.
I didn't like the handlebars.
The seatpost was carbon and would continually slip down.
The front mudguard cracked eventually as it should have had two pairs of stays.

So ............. I spent ages and more money and making it good.
Put a 61t outer ring on.
Swapped the cassette for a 11-28.
Repaired the cracked mudguard and fitted another pair of stays.
Sold the awful saddle and fitted a Brooks.
Sold the slipping carbon seatpost and fitted aluminium.
Sold the awful Tiagra STIs and fitted indexed DT shifters on the front rack mounts and Tektro brake levers.
Sold the handlebars and bought a better shape.
Sold the awful Tektro brake calipers and fitted Shimano 105.

Then fitted a SA3sp to extend the range much more. Bottom gear is now 16" and top is a massive 134".

However, the bike is slow. It adds 1min per mile to my rides compared to Mercian. It descends fast enough, is very comfortable and a delight to ride. Not good in crosswinds or headwinds as the aerodynamics are terrible.

As it's slow, I get a better workout for the same distance ............. which is only a Good Thing.
If I want a buzz, I'll ride Mercian. If I want a good hard ride without spending all day doing it, I'll ride Moulton.

Would I sell it after all I've done to it?
Not on your nellie! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
fausto99

Post by fausto99 »

Mick F wrote:If I had to live my life over again, and knowing what I know now, I wouldn't have bought the damned thing! :D

I felt the same about my "mini Forth Bridge", an AM7. I hated the soft front suspension when climbing out of the saddle and it was a real struggle to get a stem long enough and a seatpost forward enough to fit my long torso and short thighs. I gave up in the end and sold it. Strangely I'm perfectly happy climbing out of the saddle on a 60s F frame. The front suspension is just firm enough to damp any up and down "bobbing". I think the friction dampers on the spaceframe Moultons are ineffective at best and very hard to set up.