When do you consider a tyre is dead?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
foxyrider

When do you consider a tyre is dead?

Post by foxyrider »

I knew my rear tyre, a cheapo Schwalbe Blizzard, was getting a bit tired (some 5000km after fitting) so i replaced it with a more sensible (for the expected mileage use) Triban Protect Light in a fatter 25c. Given the swap was more on gut feeling than tyre failure or a spate of deflations, i was rather impressed to find that this was despite me getting my Yorkshireman's worth out of the tyre!

DSCN5409.JPG
DSCN5413.JPG
DSCN5410.JPG

Yup, the wear was almost perfectly even all around the tyre!

DSCN5414.JPG
DSCN5415.JPG

The Triban certainly has more track depth but how will it fair over time?

So when do you pronounce your rubber dead?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Carlton green

Re: When do you consider a tyre is dead?

Post by Carlton green »

New tyres on my bikes typically start their working like on the front wheel and part worn front tyres replace fully worn rear tyres. I want the best grip to be where I steer from and where I brake from. Rear tyres get replaced (by moving one from the front) when the tread is so worn as to be smooth/ineffective or the casing damaged.

I am tight but the real savings are to be made from avoiding accidents (caused by say a slipping wheel) and seeking out the best prices. I also buy replacements long before I will need them too, right or wrong long ago I was told that storing tyres gives the rubber chance to harden and that that in turn gives a longer service life.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
mig

Post by mig »

worn tyres seem to square off in appearance to me. no doubt the look of the cover influences me but i don't like the cornering feel of a tyre with squared off shoulders as they suddenly 'lean' in corners. at that point i replace them and emote to turbo or emergency spare duty.

had chance to service the fleet last week and funnily enough swapped front-rear tyres on my track bike. i rarely do this as that bike is the only one i run that has a matched pair (old GP3000s). the bikes that do the commuting distance all have a heavier rear tyre and a grippier front and i never swap them around.
T-800

Post by T-800 »

I replace my Continental GP4000s when the wear indicators disappear.
https://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/tread-wear
Although not a legal requirement as it is on motor vehicles I find it to be good practice.
drossall

Post by drossall »

I generally replace tyres when the rate of punctures becomes an issue, or the tread has obviously gone. Generally slightly less obviously than in the OP though :lol:
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

I call ‘em dead when they start to puncture more readily ( which is when they’re brand new on most Continental tyres I’ve suffered having to use IME) or the side walls fail, other than that I keep going. I’ve never run one right down to the carcass.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

my marathons never seem to wearout. magic. The ops ones are a joke. dont you have any self respect, you that much a skinflint? :wink:
gaz

Post by gaz »

I think you must have nailed that one to the perch for a 1000km or so after it had expired :wink: .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
fausto99

Post by fausto99 »

I don't recall ever wearing down a tyre tread, even in my commuting days. Either the number of 'p's became too frequent or the sidewalls started to craze and I lost confidence in them. I am only 10st, though, and my brake usage is minimal. I can normally anticipate the need to slow down thereby avoiding hard braking. Brake blocks last many years too.
Tompsk

Post by Tompsk »

As others, I replace if I see obvious damage or punctures start becoming too frequent. I don't seem to suffer excessive tyre wear and most tyres seem to last well (famous last words!)

As for storage, hardening off tyres AFAIK (from my experience with car tyres) ultraviolet light does harden the tyre compound but this is a double edge sword as it perishes the tyre making it more likely to crack. This is typically seen when a caravan is used after a long layover, tyres pumped up (or not!) which then suddenly fail when up to speed on the road.

In my humble opinion best not to age tyres, if you want a longer life tyre get one constructed with a harder compound.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

drossall wrote:I generally replace tyres when the rate of punctures becomes an issue, or the tread has obviously gone. Generally slightly less obviously than in the OP though :lol:

I too replace when punctures become frequent. If general road riding why does the disappearance of tread cause a replace? Many tyres are of course slicks to start with.
Sweep
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

fausto99 wrote:I don't recall ever wearing down a tyre tread, even in my commuting days. Either the number of 'p's became too frequent or the sidewalls started to craze and I lost confidence in them. I am only 10st, though, and my brake usage is minimal. I can normally anticipate the need to slow down thereby avoiding hard braking. Brake blocks last many years too.

My experience is the same, it's the side walls that go first. The one time I ignored the cracks in the tyre and just carried on using it split when out on a ride. The tube bulged out of the tyre, caught the brake and I had a blow out. Front wheel and a bit scary.
The only time I've had to ask for assistance to get home.
Schwalbe Marathon tyre, I thought these were indestructible but sadly they are not.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

drossall wrote:I generally replace tyres when the rate of punctures becomes an issue, or the tread has obviously gone. Generally slightly less obviously than in the OP though :lol:

+1
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pwa

Post by pwa »

reohn2 wrote:

+1

With all but the most race-oriented tyres there is a lot more "rubber" on the central tread, and I begin to think about replacement when that central band has flattened off a bit. That is easiest to detect when the tyre is off, such as when you have a puncture to fix and you are running your fingers round the tyre, trying to detect any thorns or whatever sticking through. If the central tread feels thinner than adjacent rubber, you have left it too late. Which may be why you are having to deal with a puncture.

Leaving it until the tread is gone completely is funny. I used to do that when I was about ten. That image made me feel nostalgic. :lol:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pwa wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

+1

With all but the most race-oriented tyres there is a lot more "rubber" on the central tread, and I begin to think about replacement when that central band has flattened off a bit. That is easiest to detect when the tyre is off, such as when you have a puncture to fix and you are running your fingers round the tyre, trying to detect any thorns or whatever sticking through. If the central tread feels thinner than adjacent rubber, you have left it too late. Which may be why you are having to deal with a puncture.

Leaving it until the tread is gone completely is funny. I used to do that when I was about ten. That image made me feel nostalgic. :lol:

+1 again,and to add that like Cartlon Green I also move front to rear when the rear tyre is worn so I have the best rubber upfront for the reasons he states.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden