When do you consider a tyre is dead?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
hamster

Re: When do you consider a tyre is dead?

Postby hamster » 31 Mar 2020, 9:58am

I wish I EVER had tyres last that long. It's flinty where I am and cuts always kill them long beforehand, typically damaging the sidewall.

Cugel

Postby Cugel » 31 Mar 2020, 10:15am

A tyre is dead when is has features that might make you dead too. The trick is to have a tyre-feature list that wasn't composed by either a tyre-seller or Reggie the risk-taking rooky.

Cugel

T-800

Postby T-800 » 31 Mar 2020, 10:33am

Just out of curiosity what is everyone's "average" mileage before a tyre starts to be more trouble than it's worth.I realise this is a how long is a piece of string question but I'm just thinking a rough guide?
I don't tend to suffer lots of P-words(until now!?) but 1500-1800 miles seems to be the lifespan of Contis.A commuter friend reckons he's done over 6000miles on his Continental all season Gatorskins.

hamster

Postby hamster » 31 Mar 2020, 1:31pm

Gatorskins 1500-2000 before a sidewall cut kills them. GP4000sii 700-1000, generally from sidewall damage

SO far the Michelin Pro4 Endurance v2 take the win at well over 2000 with very few cuts - about the same as a Conti at 500 miles.

Carlton green

Postby Carlton green » 31 Mar 2020, 2:12pm

hamster wrote:I wish I EVER had tyres last that long. It's flinty where I am and cuts always kill them long beforehand, typically damaging the sidewall.

Flint catchers are a wonderful thing and as I recall they improved my commuting experience.

hamster

Postby hamster » 31 Mar 2020, 3:32pm

Agreed, not sure they can save a sidewall though.

mig

Postby mig » 31 Mar 2020, 4:24pm

i've always found the rule to be the first ride on a brand new tyre always picks up some sort of cut whatever you do! not necessarily all the way through but some sort of chunk is taken.

Tigerbiten

Postby Tigerbiten » 31 Mar 2020, 4:26pm

I used to fit new tyres on my bent trike every year at the start of a long tour.
Now I no longer tour, this has given me a stock of half used tyres that I'm cycling (pun intended :P ) my way through.

I will normally change my back tyre when the anti-puncture filler is fully visible all the way around simply because it doesn't give the same amount of grip as rubber.
Fronts I tend to kill the sidewalls before the get fully worn out so I'll change then once I think the cuts/splits are to iffy.
Trailer tyre tend to get changed when the ones coming off the trike are better than the ones on the trailer. I've taken a pair of tyres on my trailer a lot thinner than the OP's simply because I couldn't find a good pair of 20" tyres while on tour. One wheel bearings on the trailer failed and that scrubbed both tyres out.

Normally I get around +5k miles out of the rear tyre, around +10k out of the fronts and +20k out of the trailer tyres.
But riding in the hills in the wet will seriously cut down the tyre mileage, I've had to change a back tyre after around 1,000 miles over wet hilly roads.

Luck .......... :D

MikeDee

Postby MikeDee » 31 Mar 2020, 4:56pm

I run my tires when the cord starts showing, or if there a sidewall cut.

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 31 Mar 2020, 6:22pm

Marathon Plus tyres last ages, mine still have sprue from moulding
Plan to do more cycling this year, wonder if there shall be visible wear soon?
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we dislike mortons

foxyrider

Postby foxyrider » 31 Mar 2020, 6:58pm

gaz wrote:Image
I think you must have nailed that one to the perch for a 1000km or so after it had expired :wink: .

I had actually done a visual check before the last ride on it, there was no indication of imminent wear through at that point, A few km of less than than smooth tarmac later however..... i think i might have got another 10km out of it before it was canvas all the way around!

I don't usually ride to destruction, any tread puncture will start replacement thoughts, or indeed any significant 'squaring'. The best bike running Conti 4000's (guess the next time it'll be 5000's) generally has a change out every 1500km or so, the wear indicators are usually very much in evidence still at that point.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!

foxyrider

Postby foxyrider » 31 Mar 2020, 7:10pm

hamster wrote:Gatorskins 1500-2000 before a sidewall cut kills them. GP4000sii 700-1000, generally from sidewall damage

SO far the Michelin Pro4 Endurance v2 take the win at well over 2000 with very few cuts - about the same as a Conti at 500 miles.

I've never had this excessive sidewall damage you seem to have, maybe its rider/luggage weight/pressure induced? I have seen failed Gators with sidewall damage but they were traced to running low pressures and heavily laden.

I've had 4000km out of an s2 4000 and the Gatorskin on on the front of the bike that the 'sample tyre' was from has a good 4000km in it and looks good for a at least another 1k, a couple of tread cuts but no sidewall damage.

I would usually hope to get at least 2000km out of a road tyre, a sliding scale upwards as you add tread. That said, i wore a Marathon out on this same bike (steel 531 race bike with mudguards) just commuting 100km a week, in 10 weeks so the theory doesn't always match reality!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!

wirral_cyclist

Postby wirral_cyclist » 31 Mar 2020, 8:20pm

I rode a tyre until the casing was 'porous' and the tube wore through, tubes should be pink or something to make it obvious - until you held the tyre to the light the tyre seemed OK! Still I used my just in case folder I'd carried for years.

hamster

Postby hamster » 1 Apr 2020, 8:10am

foxyrider wrote:
hamster wrote:Gatorskins 1500-2000 before a sidewall cut kills them. GP4000sii 700-1000, generally from sidewall damage

I've never had this excessive sidewall damage you seem to have, maybe its rider/luggage weight/pressure induced? I have seen failed Gators with sidewall damage but they were traced to running low pressures and heavily laden.

I'm 67kg, the bike is an unladen fast road bike. I typically run 100psi. But the natural stone here is flint, the roads are perpetually dirty with grit wash onto the surface and we have lots of cattle grids.

Greystoke

Postby Greystoke » 2 Apr 2020, 9:36am

I've just walked the last mile home after the sidewall blew out on my back tyre. Tyres had done a lot of miles, still have good tread but the tyre has perished....couldn't repair that!