what are "washing lines"?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mikeymo

what are "washing lines"?

Post by mikeymo »

read the expression here a few times, about bars and brakes.
mjr

Re: what are "washing lines"?

Post by mjr »

I think it's a pejorative term for Old style non aero brake cables on drop bar bikes. I actually peg route cue cards to mine!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

mikeymo wrote:read the expression here a few times, about bars and brakes.

It refers to the variety of brake/gear levers where the cables are not both routed under the bartape, so that the gear cable emerges from the lever sideways, as if you could hang drying socks on them!

I see mjr has given another explanation. Take your pick.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

thanks all. I sort of guessed that might be the case.

Presumably "washing lines" actually give better braking and/or gear changing, because of less tight bends in cables?
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

mikeymo wrote:thanks all. I sort of guessed that might be the case.

Presumably "washing lines" actually give better braking and/or gear changing, because of less tight bends in cables?

I have both STI and Ergo versions, and cannot find the concealed gear cables worse. I dare say they have to be fitted properly. The brake cable route is the same for both types.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
T-800

Post by T-800 »

mikeymo wrote:thanks all. I sort of guessed that might be the case.

No.
If set up correctly the gears work perfectly well on stealth or aero routed systems.There should be no tight bends.
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

Thanks folks.

I'm thinking about changing from STIs to downtube shifters. So the gear cable would be out of the way.

The brakes are cable discs. Do you think there would be any performance difference in braking between "stealth" and "washing line" brake cable? I've never used compressionless cable, is it any more or less flexible than other types, when it comes to getting round the bend in the bars? I also use cross tops, if that has any bearing on the issue.

Cheers.
T-800

Post by T-800 »

mikeymo wrote:Thanks folks.

I'm thinking about changing from STIs to downtube shifters. So the gear cable would be out of the way.

The brakes are cable discs. Do you think there would be any performance difference in braking between "stealth" and "washing line" brake cable? I've never used compressionless cable, is it any more or less flexible than other types, when it comes to getting round the bend in the bars? I also use cross tops, if that has any bearing on the issue.

Cheers.

The cable-discs on my CX bike have cables that run under the bar tape.They work fine.AFAIK the inners/outers are just standard cables.I removed the cross top levers as I didn't like them and rarely used them.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

mjr wrote:I actually peg route cue cards to mine!

I have also done that but found it difficult to read as the sheet flapped around, increased drag far more noticeably than I'd anticipated, and also prone to falling off. However, I note you've said "cards" not "sheets" so maybe with a small, stiff card it works okay.
slowster

Post by slowster »

mikeymo wrote:I've never used compressionless cable, is it any more or less flexible than other types, when it comes to getting round the bend in the bars? I also use cross tops, if that has any bearing on the issue.

Compressionless cable is less flexible than ordinary Bowden brake cable, and the curve in the bars is where this may be a problem when fitting the cable. The Jagwire Road Pro brake cable kit is supplied with two EZ bend segments which eliminate the problem.

The cross top levers will probably need four ferrules. The Jagwire kit is supplied with 3 pairs of ferrules of different types/sizes to suit different brake levers and calipers. Probably the best thing to do would be to buy the kit and see which of the different supplied types of ferrule the cross top levers need, and then buy more of the particular ones you need from Ebay.

The other thing to be aware of is that compressionless outer cable is harder to cut than ordinary Bowden brake cable, so you need a good pair of cable cutters or a Dremel.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Mike Sales wrote:
mikeymo wrote:read the expression here a few times, about bars and brakes.

It refers to the variety of brake/gear levers where the cables are not both routed under the bartape, so that the gear cable emerges from the lever sideways, as if you could hang drying socks on them!

I see mjr has given another explanation. Take your pick.

I first heard the expression after STIs came out, so I'm supposing that it never meant 'brake cables' per se; they had not been exposed on race bikes for several years prior to that. Campag ergo users were keen on using that phrase if the discussion ever veered round to 'which was better?'

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

slowster wrote:
mikeymo wrote:I've never used compressionless cable, is it any more or less flexible than other types, when it comes to getting round the bend in the bars? I also use cross tops, if that has any bearing on the issue.

Compressionless cable is less flexible than ordinary Bowden brake cable, and the curve in the bars is where this may be a problem when fitting the cable. The Jagwire Road Pro brake cable kit is supplied with two EZ bend segments which eliminate the problem.

The cross top levers will probably need four ferrules. The Jagwire kit is supplied with 3 pairs of ferrules of different types/sizes to suit different brake levers and calipers. Probably the best thing to do would be to buy the kit and see which of the different supplied types of ferrule the cross top levers need, and then buy more of the particular ones you need from Ebay.

The other thing to be aware of is that compressionless outer cable is harder to cut than ordinary Bowden brake cable, so you need a good pair of cable cutters or a Dremel.

I've got Park cutters that have only been used for one bike. Haven't got a Dremel, but do have an angle grinder, so perhaps with a metal cutting disc, and some care, that might be as good.

It might well be decided by which levers I get. The Tektro RL341s I'm thinking of are available with a tan hood, which matches the rest of the bike (yes, I know, pathetically vain, aren't I?). And they are aero levers.

Whichever, if it's only brake cables I don't mind the look of "washing lines", but with cross tops I daresay that wrapping them is a good way to get them into the cross tops securely. On the other hand if I'm doing a bit of "experimenting" it would be way easier not to be wrapping and unwrapping the bars every time.
Last edited by mikeymo on 2 Apr 2020, 1:44pm, edited 2 times in total.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Bmblbzzz wrote:
mjr wrote:I actually peg route cue cards to mine!

I have also done that but found it difficult to read as the sheet flapped around, increased drag far more noticeably than I'd anticipated, and also prone to falling off. However, I note you've said "cards" not "sheets" so maybe with a small, stiff card it works okay.

Yes, I'm using 3x5s. They tend to swing in line with airflow so I doubt there's much drag as long as you use small pegs. Sometimes I have to tap them to spin them back so I can read them!

If I have a handlebar bag fitted, the cards go in the top pocket instead.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
slowster

Post by slowster »

I would expect Park cable cutters to be up to the task of cutting compressionless cable cleanly.

mikeymo wrote:with cross tops I daresay that wrapping them is a good way to get them into the cross tops securely. On the other hand if I'm doing a bit of "experimenting" it would be way easier not to be wrapping and unwrapping the bars every time.

If you mean using bar tape to secure compressionless cable without using ferrules, I suspect that is not a good solution. I think ferrules are essential with compressionless cable to ensure a good fit in the levers and calipers, hence Jagwire providing different sizes and shapes of ferrule with their kits to ensure that purchasers will have the right ferrules whatever levers and calipers they have.

As regards wrapping and unwrapping bar tape, I secure the cables with electrical tape in a couple of places (one around the curve close to the brake lever, and the other around the straight section of the bars close to where the bar tape would stop. I can then ride the bike wearing gloves or track mitts, and delay fitting the bar tape until I am happy with the position of the brake levers.
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

slowster wrote:I would expect Park cable cutters to be up to the task of cutting compressionless cable cleanly.

mikeymo wrote:with cross tops I daresay that wrapping them is a good way to get them into the cross tops securely. On the other hand if I'm doing a bit of "experimenting" it would be way easier not to be wrapping and unwrapping the bars every time.

If you mean using bar tape to secure compressionless cable without using ferrules, I suspect that is not a good solution. I think ferrules are essential with compressionless cable to ensure a good fit in the levers and calipers, hence Jagwire providing different sizes and shapes of ferrule with their kits to ensure that purchasers will have the right ferrules whatever levers and calipers they have.

As regards wrapping and unwrapping bar tape, I secure the cables with electrical tape in a couple of places (one around the curve close to the brake lever, and the other around the straight section of the bars close to where the bar tape would stop. I can then ride the bike wearing gloves or track mitts, and delay fitting the bar tape until I am happy with the position of the brake levers.

It's a bit pricey, but Jagwire cables come in Orange!! Whether they work or not, they'll match my bike.