Moulton TSR 9 - BB size ?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
jerrysimon

Re: Moulton TSR 9 - BB size ?

Postby jerrysimon » 8 Apr 2020, 5:45pm

philvantwo wrote:Well the red bike looks slightly better, but these Moulton bikes just look a bit 'heath robinson' to me, as if things have been added on as an after thought. What actually inspires people to even buy one?

I guess its a geek thing but I just love small wheeled bikes :shock:

It started with a brompton that I converted to electric back in 2009. I used this every day for a 10 mile return trip to work covering over 10K miles. As T1 diabetic the electric assisatnce was a real bonus in that come rain, shine or wind I hopped on it.

5742770530_2a81987819_o.jpg

With Moultons (and the Brompton fold) its the engineering that draws me to these bikes, the front and rear suspension on the Moultons in the 60s was way ahead of its time. The early Moultons we buy are a often stripped down to the basic frame and then rebuild with alloy parts. The wheel spacing is the same as a regular bike and the suspension takes out all of the bumpy ride associated with small wheels.

6318610623_3cfb5a882a_o.jpg
TSR2 Converted to Electric but not so portable.

I have a larger wheeled bike and maintain many others for family and friends, having learnt how to build wheels etc.

PS just read the last post, its also great fun I agree!!!

philvantwo

Postby philvantwo » 9 Apr 2020, 3:48pm

I wouldn't be seen out on one of those contraptions Mick f!
You should try riding a lightweight modern bike instead of that 30 year old mercian, you're missing out on all the fun! :lol:

jerrysimon

Postby jerrysimon » 9 Apr 2020, 6:20pm

philvantwo wrote:I wouldn't be seen out on one of those contraptions Mick f!

:wink:

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 9 Apr 2020, 6:54pm

philvantwo wrote:I wouldn't be seen out on one of those contraptions Mick f!
You should try riding a lightweight modern bike instead of that 30 year old mercian, you're missing out on all the fun! :lol:
Excuse me for upsetting you?

My Mercian weighs a massive 23lbs = 10.4Kg with the frame built way back in 1986.
It's a lightweight 531c bike, and is a flyer. You keep up with me if you want. :wink:

The "contraption" of my Moulton TSR 30 ............ now a TSR 90 ............. is a an absolute delight to ride. Heavy, non-aerodynamic, poor hill-climber ......... but comfortable, fun, entertaining, and enjoyable though not fast at all.

So what?
You try it, and you'll find it an absolute delight to ride too. :D
Mick F. Cornwall

speedsixdave

Postby speedsixdave » 10 Apr 2020, 11:06am

philvantwo wrote:What actually inspires people to even buy one?

It's all about the ride, dude! The smooth, cultured ride that makes you realise your favourite bike is not a smooth, cultured ride. Moultoneers look at big-wheelers like recumbentists look at uprights. There are loads of issues and idiosyncracies, sure, but everything has issues, we just choose to ignore most of them. Now sit down, spin those gears, and enjoy 150 relaxing miles. The ride...
Big wheels good, small wheels better.
Two saddles best!

philvantwo

Postby philvantwo » 10 Apr 2020, 3:37pm

Shoot me now!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 10 Apr 2020, 7:31pm

:lol: :lol:

Seriously, though, unless you've had a good ride (or two or three) on a contraption of a Moulton, you wouldn't understand.
Mick F. Cornwall

philvantwo

Postby philvantwo » 10 Apr 2020, 9:09pm

Mick f, you're always moaning about replacing the tyres and cleaning the chain every 50 miles and then there was all that performance with it upside down on the kitchen table, changing some suspension bush.
A whole week of eating your tea on your laps whilst watching netflix on your laptops!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 11 Apr 2020, 2:00pm

Not moaning.
Just commenting and explaining.

Moulton has its wheels off and chainset off now out in the sunshine. Too hot out there to do continuous time out there, so come in for a cool off.

The bike is filthy. That's not a moan, it's a comment about the constant battle of keeping a small-wheeled bike clean. The wheels and chainset need to come off to get at the frame properly. Also the rear wheel is filthy, so I'll remove the cassette and clean it, then clean the rear wheel. Front wheel isn't bad at all, but I may as well clean that too.

The forks are "double" so the dirt gets on both pairs. The rear triangle is complicated by sort of being double too. The frame is much easier wash with as much stuff off as reasonably possible.

Whilst the bike is in bits, I'll grease the rear suspension pivot.

The bike needs cleaning because I ride it. It's only this past fortnight that the roads have been dry. Seven months of damp dreary weather with rain most days ................. and now it's hot, sunny, and dry as a bone.

I'm going to crack open a beer shortly, and do the cassette.
Mick F. Cornwall

simonineaston

Postby simonineaston » 11 Apr 2020, 2:44pm

What actually inspires people to even buy one?
It's quite straightforward really. It's because they like 'em. What puzzles me is why folk who don't like them bang on, and on, and on, about how [inappropriate word removed] they think they are. The solution is equally straightforward for you guys - don't buy one.
(rides: Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 11 Apr 2020, 3:42pm

I love mine, so don't lump me in with that lot! :D

Done some Moulton Maintenance this afternoon.

Greased the rear pivot, and cleaned the whole transmission. I found that the 11t cog was hooked and worn, so as I have a couple of spare, I fitted one. The chain was well stretched, so that's getting scrapped. Fitted a chain from before, so next time out - fingers crossed - all will be well. If the chain skips on the 12t and 13t, I have new ones of those available too. If they skip, I have a brand new chain, but I'll have to buy a new cassette.

Given the frame a good cleaning too.

Constant battle with these bikes! :D
Mick F. Cornwall

speedsixdave

Postby speedsixdave » 11 Apr 2020, 8:15pm

This weekend would have been Alex Moulton's 100th birthday, so when you're having that beer in the garden, Mick, raise your glass to his idiosyncratic memory!
Big wheels good, small wheels better.

Two saddles best!

simonineaston

Postby simonineaston » 11 Apr 2020, 8:46pm

I'd forgotten that, Dave - thnx for the reminder! There used to be birthday meets at BoA, now and then... I'd forgotten. I will indeed raise that glass to his memory, as I have had a lot of pleasure from his designs, over the years, mainly involving quiet lanes in northern France and frequent purchases from village patisseries :wink:
(rides: Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 12 Apr 2020, 7:09am

Happy Birthday Alex! :D

As a long term Mini owner - had seven of them over the years with first one in 1971 - I was always well aware that Alex Moulton designed the suspension system.

Rubber cones and pivots for small wheels ................. that was back in 1957 or so with Issigonis as the Mini designer.

First Mini sold was in 1959, so you can see where he got his ideas from for a bike.
Mick F. Cornwall

dezzie

Postby dezzie » 12 Apr 2020, 12:49pm

My mk2 Major is currently having a revamp with modern bits, just wheels to get built next when the money tree starts to flower in the garden.
Image Attachments
1585993208046.jpg