Lower gears - Campagnolo 10 speed

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
sukuinage

Post by sukuinage »

Fairly sure there shouldn't be a problem but just wanted to check.
I'm currently running a Campagnolo Record 3x10 setup. 53/ 42/ 30 front and 13-29 rear (long cage Record derailleur). Not getting any younger or, sadly, thinner and also would like to get up some of the steeper hills in the region of the northern Black Forest. I'm planning to drop the gearing as much as possible; my next replacement cassette is a 12-30 and I'm planning to change the front rings to 48/ 39/ 24. Anyone know if there would be a problem with that? 26 would also be a possibility for the lower ring; planning on getting TA rings from Spa Cycles unless anyone has cheaper/ better alternatives. Will probably do the same on my wife's bike but only swapping the small ring as the others are 40 & 50
Brucey

Re: Lower gears - Campagnolo 10 speed

Post by Brucey »

I don't know whether this applies to your chainset or not but on a 74mm BCD fitting there is sometimes a clash between the chain and the chainring mounting bosses when using the smallest possible ( 24T) chainring. If it occurs then it is easily solved with a little filing, but some folk can't quite bring themselves to start chiselling lumps off their lovely chainset.

Another thing to look out for is that if you use a smaller interval between middle and big chainrings, there is a distinct possibility that you will end up with the FD height being set by the middle chainring, and that the FD will sit well clear of the big ring. This can lead to an increased chance of overshifting rightwards off the big ring when shifting middle to big.

A further point is that I don't think your RD was originally rated for a 30T sprocket. You will need another ~2mm clearance vs a 29T to make it work, and it may well do so without problems, it all depends on how long your gear hanger is.

But mostly I think it will work OK, just a few things to look out for.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
sukuinage

Post by sukuinage »

Thanks for the reply Brucey. I think there should be enough clearance for the 30t on the cassette from what I can see. I would be happy with a 50 outer ring - not too bothered at that end of the range; I was only thinking about a 48 to keep the overall capacity down. Maybe better with 50/ 39/ 26? Just trying to get up the hills without walking on Look Deltas. Maybe I need to start my diet after my enforced Home Office next to the fridge!
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

its a bit of a toss-up as to which is likely to be a bigger PITA, overshifting off the big ring sometimes or running out of total capacity. FWIW I don't mind having a setup which means I can't use the small-small combinations without the chain running slack, but not everyone feels the same way about it.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
sun ra

Post by sun ra »

I’m very fond of my campag record triple set up but realise now it does have limitations.

I recently fitted a bike with a sub compact Sugino OX901d 46/28 along with 10 spd centaur 12-30 cassette for a week in the Pyrenees. It worked flawlessly and the shifting with the sugino rings is superb. The said chain set set comes in various configurations and can take rings down to 24t from memory (was thinking I’d try 44/26 for wife’s bike)
RickH

Post by RickH »

I've got a Centaur/ Comp triple setup. I found swapping to 50/39/26 (50/39 is thee same gap as the original 53/42) gave me a good enough range with a 13-29 cassette & it all works fine. There is probably enough clearance at the bottom of the front mech to go to a 24 inner, at least with the Comp Triple FD.,
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
hamster

Post by hamster »

I've run a 24/39/48 on a Campag triple, no trouble.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Similarly, I have run 50/40/24 on a Record triple chainset. The inner ring is 74PCD so 24 is the lowest you can go. Brucey says there can be a clash between the chain and the chainring mounting bolts. With a TA ring I do not get a clash, but I know there is a cheap nasty steel 22 available at 74 PCD, I had one on a runabout junk bike, and I know that definitely clashes.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

My fully Campag setup was fine with a standard Chorus 53/42/30 and a Centaur 12-30 10sp for years.
Prior to that I had a 12-29 10sp but Campag brought out the 12-30 so as I was needing a new cassette, I went for it. On my second 12-30 cassette now.

The standard Chorus chainset of 53/42/30 was fine, but I bought a Spa Cycles inner of 28t to make my bottom set lower. Works a treat!
The chainset minimum is 26t inner, and I may buy one eventually.

Rear mech and front mechs are both Campag Comp. Ergos are Campag Chorus ............... identical to Record and are pre Escape and pre Quick-shift. Originally had a Chorus rear mech but the top pivot wore and upset the indexing, so bought the Comp rear mech.

My future plans, are to go away from fully Campag, and mix and match with Shimano and Campag to get a wider range cassette. My present rear hub is a Miche and I have a Shimano body already .......... as the hub will take either.

The Campag Chorus rear hub I had for years and I repaired a couple of times and I'm reluctant to spend any more money on repairing yet again, so bought a Miche. Cheaper, just as good, but not as nicely finished.
Mick F. Cornwall
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Have to say that my Campag triple set up is pushing things a bit but it is on a 520 wheel Airnimal Chameleon so the needs are a little different.

Custom built cassette 11-29, originally Veloce long arm mech but i've had it running with a Record long arm too, 52-39-26 up front (the 26 is a steel Onza Buzzsaw), Ultegra fm (Campag wouldn't fit on the original frame due to position of mounting plate and angle of actuating arm) and Chorus Ergo's of @ 2004 vintage!

Because of stay length issues small-small is a definate no no out of the workstand and dropping from middle to small isn't happy under duress (to be fair, the torque through the system with a fully cycle camping load on a 20% climb pretty much stops the chain wanting to go anyware!). Been happily running this for 10 years until i killed the chainset at Christmas (unrelated issue).
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
andrewwillans49

Post by andrewwillans49 »

My bike had 2005 Campag Centaur triple 53: 42:30 when the outer ring was worn out idecidwd to lower the gears and fitted 50:39:26 chainrings bought from Spa. Works a treat
fredN4

Post by fredN4 »

by now you know it will work. I posted a similar question some years back after grinding up Le Ventoux. 26 specialities small ring works fine on my campag record triple with comp FD.
sukuinage

Post by sukuinage »

Thanks everyone. Just need to unchain the wallet now
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

I got rid of the Campag chainsets for my bikes and bought ones from Spa Cycles; specifying
the rings that I wanted on them.
scottg

Post by scottg »

I'm using an 11sp Athena triple front mech, 10sp Record Shifters, and a Chorus triple rear mech,
10sp Centaur 12-30 cassette, all works fine. Crank is Sugino OX6, 46/30 rings.
I do have the cage mounted a couple mm higher than perfect, otherwise the
chain rubs the top of front mech in the big - big combo, shifting is fine anyway.
The bike has a 8cm bb drop, a cm more than normal.

I'd did try the Triple mech with a Alpina 48/36/24 crank, as Sir Bruce says,
the mech inner cage would hit the middle ring, when set at the proper height.
The raised mech tossed the chain to the outside.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++