Shimano 105 10 Speed STIs with XT 9 Mech

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Daipink

Shimano 105 10 Speed STIs with XT 9 Mech

Post by Daipink »

Hi I'm trying to setup 105 10 speed STIs with an RD-M772 XT rear mech. Should this work ok? I swapped out the old 105 mech for the XT mech when my LBS told me the 105 mech had developed too much play to shift reliably any more. Had the XT mech already for a MTB build so used it temporarily. Worked ok at first but then swapped it for a new same model mech and can't get it to shift well at all now. Have a new Tiagra cassette and Wippermam chain to fit in hope of sorting but before going ahead just want to check that this setup should work ok.
Jamesh

Re: Shimano 105 10 Speed STIs with XT 9 Mech

Post by Jamesh »

Should work fine. I have same combo.

11spd have a different pull ratio.

Maybe new cables are needed especially if using under bartap shifters.

Try some gt85 down the cables first??

Cheers James
hamster

Post by hamster »

Should work fine. 10 speed road has the same pull as MTB 7/8/9. The only oddball is Tiagra 4700.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

as others have said it ought to work OK, and you might need new cables. Another possibility is that gear hanger has taken a knock or that the old chain is so worn it has too much lateral flex and won't shift properly.

BTW 9s XT mech will be OK but a 10s XT mech won't be.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

There's a simple way to check if the mech is compatable with the STI's.
Remove the chain,check each click moves the mech corresponding to the cassette by carefully turning the mech so the top jockey pulley is in line with each sprocket,do this both up and down the cassette.
If all is well going from small to large sprocket but not quite going from large to small it indicates drag in the cable or even a broken strand,lubing or replacing and lubing the cable inner should solve the problem.
I would also check the cable isn't sticking in the plastic guide under the BB.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Daipink

Post by Daipink »

Wow, thanks all for the prompt feedback, will try check the mech against cassette without the chain. I might get away with just the new chain and cassette, but did think new cables might be needed too, they are a good 4 years old but are Jagwire at least. Good to know it should work and it's worth the further expense on cables if necessary.

Having web-searched the issue aware I may be able to use MTB cassette too which opens up a few more local routes I've been avoiding due to declining fitness!

Thanks / Diolch!
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Shimano 8/9/10 speed cassettes are generally all the same fit. Other compatible makes are also available.
I have mixed MTB and road cassettes over the years with no problems.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Daipink

Post by Daipink »

Thanks all again, fitted new chain and cassette. After a few adjustments all works perfectly, have a SRAM 12-32 cassette on order too which should make a few steep lanes less fearsome.