Clicking from Bottom Bracket

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
David

Clicking from Bottom Bracket

Post by David »

I've a SRAM GXP bottom bracket with SRAM Force 2 hollow crankset.

I got a click about 1500 miles ago, at first I thought it was just the cleat so I cleaned and added a bit of grease. The clicking continued. So I checked the pedal and also the retaining bolt torque - all fine. In the end I removed the crank, cleaned the bearings and re-assembled. Click sorted :D

Yesterday, it started again.

Is 1500 miles about right for this - I'm used to sealed BB units that you just throw in and forget about for the life of the bike. 1500 miles is getting into the cup cone and cage territory for service intervals.

D
pwa

Re: Clicking from Bottom Bracket

Post by pwa »

With the sealed square taper bb units (Shimano UN55 etc) I am used to getting a click, especially when climbing. I used to worry about it but now I think it is usually just a sound, with no real harm being done. I don't know whether the same applies with your sort of bb.
Last edited by pwa on 9 Apr 2020, 7:03pm, edited 2 times in total.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Time for new bearings I think.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Wag67

Post by Wag67 »

Years ago (over 25) I had what could have been the same problem. Tightening to the correct torque wasn’t enough so the BB tightening tool was put into a vice and the bracket ( Shimano XT ) was tightened to within an inch of its life, using the frame to torque it up. ( Alu Frame ). No more clicking - it used to drive me bonkers. Now I’m not advising anyone to do the same, but it worked for me and I still have the bike with that bearing in it.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

If you look on the Singletrackworld forum you will find plenty of threads in which people complain about these BBs and find recommendations on what to replace them with. Having said that, I have no personal experience of them and some bloggers are happy with theirs.