Rear camera

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
sirmy

Rear camera

Post by sirmy »

Having had my second cyclic fly6 die on me, even when fully charged it's stick in get home mode and won't reset, I'm after a reliable camera as a replacement.

Does anyone know of a good camera that can be mounted to a seat post or seat tube with decent image stabilization?
Farrina

Re: Rear camera

Post by Farrina »

Having been successfully using a fly6 CE for the last 18 months (approximately 10 hours a week) I have found it reliable and am disappointed to hear of your experience with two - you refer to the fly 6 so it is not clear whether its an earlier incarnation or the later CE version.

I presume its out of warranty - is it possible to update the firmware ?
fausto99

Post by fausto99 »

I have had an early one since mid 2017. Still working ok. I've had two minor niggle with it:

1. I get caught out with a particularly bad pothole or similar, the vertical shock can trigger it into thinking I've had a prang. In which case, it beeps many times before stopping, presumably to save the recording of my "accident". No big deal as if I don't want to stop, I can reach down under the saddle to restart it with the usual side button.

2. It sometimes forgets the date. Worth checking if you want to use as evidence.
sirmy

Post by sirmy »

Farrina wrote:Having been successfully using a fly6 CE for the last 18 months (approximately 10 hours a week) I have found it reliable and am disappointed to hear of your experience with two - you refer to the fly 6 so it is not clear whether its an earlier incarnation or the later CE version.

I presume its out of warranty - is it possible to update the firmware ?

Hello,
Ive had one of each die, after about 18 months - 2 years, they gave no indication that anything was wrong. The first, the original version, stopped recording halfway through a ride and simply refused to turn back on. This one, a fly 6 ce, appears to have failed to charge past 30%. I did update the firmware last year when it stopped charging beyond 85%.

I also forgot to mention that neither my phone or tablet can connect through bluetooth, possibly because the battery is knackered?
Syd

Rear camera

Post by Syd »

Mrs Syd’s Fly6 stopped working on Friday. Stuck a different memory card it and it came back on again. I think hers is a second generation and at least four years old.
Farrina

Post by Farrina »

This guide has some suggestions.
https://support.cycliq.com/support/solu ... wer-issues.

Have you tried contacting their support team ?
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

I bought a cheap 4KHD variant (ieGEEK), usually mounted on the front but did mount on the seatpost, a PITA but doable, I've found the 4K ok but better in the 60fps mode, stills and video are excellent and even at speed on rough tarmac I've found the picture to be very good, you can rotate the recording angle so even if it isn't the correct way up it doesn't matter.
hemo

Post by hemo »

I have had two fly6's and both have failed, never again. I currently use a cheap Zinc Red-i cam from Ebay which were 3 for £9.99 and more of a gimmick camera, at only 720p they are quite good.

Another option for 9mm QR's is to buy a 9mm QR release camera mount and use a vid cam to mount on it, though the position is a little exposed.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Selens-Bike- ... Sw2gxYvaqX