Pedal removal - spanner direction ( which side non-std ? )

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
fredN4
Posts: 66
Joined: 14 Oct 2012, 8:21pm
Location: 30200 France

Re: Pedal removal - spanner direction ( which side non-std ? )

Postby fredN4 » 17 Apr 2020, 4:27pm

Mike Sales wrote:All these explanations would just confuse me.
I think everybody knows which direction of turn clockwise is, and which direction to turn a screw to go in or out. For most people it is automatic.
That is what is called a right handed thread, and nearly all threads are right handed.
The only exceptions I know are the left pedal of a bike and the right cup of a bottom bracket.
And one thread of a turnbuckle, but that is not relevant here.


spokes?

Mike Sales
Posts: 5446
Joined: 7 Mar 2009, 3:31pm

Re: Pedal removal - spanner direction ( which side non-std ? )

Postby Mike Sales » 17 Apr 2020, 4:30pm

fredN4 wrote:
Mike Sales wrote: That is what is called a right handed thread, and nearly all threads are right handed.
The only exceptions I know are the left pedal of a bike and the right cup of a bottom bracket.
And one thread of a turnbuckle, but that is not relevant here.


spokes?


No, spokes have a right hand thread. Why would they not?

pioneer
Posts: 1699
Joined: 13 Feb 2007, 10:39am

Re: Pedal removal - spanner direction ( which side non-std ? )

Postby pioneer » 17 Apr 2020, 5:01pm

This might have been mentioned. Whenever I change pedals, I keep an old spare set close to hand as a reference. Any doubt, just look at the relevant sided pedal to check thread direction.

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 50960
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: Pedal removal - spanner direction ( which side non-std ? )

Postby Mick F » 17 Apr 2020, 7:18pm

Having driven and maintained a Mini over the eons. Had seven of them.

The rear left axle nut was (is?) a left-hand thread.
I understand why of course, but what I don't understand is that it's a castle nut with a split pin through, so it wouldn't precess anyway.
Why wasn't the left front left-hand thread? That was(is) a castle nut too.
In fact all four nuts were(are) castle nuts.

The British bicycle industry decided to use a left-hand thread on the left pedal and the right side of the BB.
Why?

Why don't all cars don't have a left hand thread on the left wheels?
They don't, because they are tight enough!

Yes, I understand precession of course, but why have "backwards" threads on a Mini rear wheel and a bike BB and pedal, and not have them tight enough to start with?
Mick F. Cornwall

Tinpotflowers
Posts: 150
Joined: 31 May 2019, 7:16pm

Re: Pedal removal - spanner direction ( which side non-std ? )

Postby Tinpotflowers » 17 Apr 2020, 7:27pm

Removal pedal on a standard cycle.

Place spanner on flats or Allen key in recess
While looking at the cycle side on
If possible, with the spanner /Allen key pointing rearwards at 2 o’clock position
Push the spanner downwards.

NB

I had a Brompton folding pedal done uo in a bike shop with a long Torque Wrench.

https://turbobobbicycleblog.wordpress.c ... and-money/
When I took the crank off to which it was attached I tried to remove the pedal with a smaller of the two Allen key recess, with Allen key socket I sheared the tool.

I suspect there may be corrosion
So I place the component in place in a container and spayed with T2 lubricant
Half many weeks tied again with no success
Then I tried using a larger socket Allen key with a long tough wench with extension
Loud crack
I release
I inspected all the threads and saw no damage
I cleaned all parts and place in my part box

Error
I should have removed the pedal whilst still on the bike. This would permit more leverage.

Mike_Ayling
Posts: 268
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 3:02am
Location: Melbourne Australia

Re: Pedal removal - spanner direction ( which side non-std ? )

Postby Mike_Ayling » 18 Apr 2020, 2:25am

De Sisti wrote:The way I remember it is:

To take to pedal off, turn the spanner to the back of the bike (whichever side of the bike you're facing).


That is also the way I remember it.

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 50960
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: Pedal removal - spanner direction ( which side non-std ? )

Postby Mick F » 18 Apr 2020, 7:08am

Mike_Ayling wrote:
De Sisti wrote:The way I remember it is:

To take to pedal off, turn the spanner to the back of the bike (whichever side of the bike you're facing).


That is also the way I remember it.
Is this with the spanner upwards, or downwards? :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall

tatanab
Posts: 4392
Joined: 8 Feb 2007, 12:37pm

Re: Pedal removal - spanner direction ( which side non-std ? )

Postby tatanab » 18 Apr 2020, 7:44am

Cripes, just forget all these "easy ways to remember"; just follow these simple steps which non enthusiasts use all the time.

1. Use the pedal until it is utterly seized or has collapsed.
2. With an angle grinder or cutter, cut through the spindle close to the crank.
3. Drill out the remaining pedal spindle.
4. Realise that you have ruined the thread.
5. Throw the bike away.

Saves all the fuss about "righty tighty" or which way up a spanner is. Simple!

De Sisti
Posts: 1073
Joined: 17 Jun 2007, 6:03pm

Re: Pedal removal - spanner direction ( which side non-std ? )

Postby De Sisti » 18 Apr 2020, 8:00am

Mick F wrote:
Mike_Ayling wrote:
De Sisti wrote:The way I remember it is:

To take to pedal off, turn the spanner to the back of the bike (whichever side of the bike you're facing).


That is also the way I remember it.
Is this with the spanner upwards, or downwards? :wink:

Just use any common sense available to you. :idea:

philvantwo
Posts: 1200
Joined: 8 Dec 2012, 6:08pm

Re: Pedal removal - spanner direction ( which side non-std ? )

Postby philvantwo » 18 Apr 2020, 8:13am

It's a wonder theres any threads left on mick f's bikes the way he keeps taking them apart all the time in his back bedroom or on the kitchen table! :(

fredN4
Posts: 66
Joined: 14 Oct 2012, 8:21pm
Location: 30200 France

Re: Pedal removal - spanner direction ( which side non-std ? )

Postby fredN4 » 18 Apr 2020, 11:48am

fredN4 wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:All these explanations would just confuse me.
I think everybody knows which direction of turn clockwise is, and which direction to turn a screw to go in or out. For most people it is automatic.
That is what is called a right handed thread, and nearly all threads are right handed.
The only exceptions I know are the left pedal of a bike and the right cup of a bottom bracket.
And one thread of a turnbuckle, but that is not relevant here.


spokes?

was reading up on truing my Mavic R Sys wheels. the spokes are left hand threaded.

Brucey
Posts: 42931
Joined: 4 Jan 2012, 6:25pm

Re: Pedal removal - spanner direction ( which side non-std ? )

Postby Brucey » 18 Apr 2020, 11:52am

I thought the nipples were left threaded into the rim?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mike Sales
Posts: 5446
Joined: 7 Mar 2009, 3:31pm

Re: Pedal removal - spanner direction ( which side non-std ? )

Postby Mike Sales » 18 Apr 2020, 11:58am

fredN4 wrote:was reading up on truing my Mavic R Sys wheels. the spokes are left hand threaded.


Presumably, since you read it, it actually says left hand thread.
I wonder why. Is there any reason you can see?
.
I've had a quick look online.
Very nonstandard.
"Tubular spokes that clamp at both ends."
Most bike shops can't work on spokes. The free hub bearing constantly need attention and finally after 10Kmiles wear out completely with no replacement options. Cracked rear rim at 7K miles
If you have the assets to replace these wheels often then they are great. Perfect for climbing, but maintenance will be an issue.


I don't think I will buy a pair!