BB sleeve.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
bigjim

BB sleeve.

Post by bigjim »

I've put up with a sporadic ticking noise for 12 months. Now it has become a regular ding. Can't find anything [yes, I've checked my knees] , but this morning I bit the bullet and removed the BB. It's a traditional square taper 68mm Shimano. Once removed I think I've found the problem. There is a centre metal sleeve. This is loose and on other similar brackets I have it is solid. The bearings are moving smoothly and the BB has only been in use for 12 months. I don't have one the correct size so I'm contemplating putting some epoxy resin over the edges to keep the sleeve in place and reinstalling. On removal the non-drive side cup was not very tight. Unscrewed by hand. I'm wondering if this sleeve is compressed on installation or should be tight from the factory.
Comments or advice would be appreciated.
Jim.
reohn2

Re: BB sleeve.

Post by reohn2 »

Not quite sure what you mean by the "central sleeve" UN series squaretaper Shimano BBs have the driveside cup part of the BB cartridge,the NDS being seperate.
Ticking with these BBs is usually traced to the NDS cup moving slightly in relation to the cartridge body,a few wraps of PTFE tape or even black electrical tape around the cartridge body on installation to take up any possible play between the two should solve it.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

It's that central barrel that contains the writing. That is swiveling around, quite loose. It's not connected to the bearing housing on each end. I've put some epoxy on it now and maybe add some tape as per your suggestion. The other BBs in my collection, the centre barrel/sleeve is solid. I don't think it has any purpose apart from some labeling or dust protection.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Were it mine I'd swap it for a Shimano UN54,problem solved :- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Shimano- ... JZlrPt25Jw
W H Auden
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

reohn2 wrote:Were it mine I'd swap it for a Shimano UN54,problem solved :- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Shimano- ... JZlrPt25Jw

Thanks. But the bearings are fine and I'm out on the bike tomorrow so might as well re-install and see how it is.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

bigjim wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Were it mine I'd swap it for a Shimano UN54,problem solved :- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Shimano- ... JZlrPt25Jw

Thanks. But the bearings are fine and I'm out on the bike tomorrow so might as well re-install and see how it is.

Yeah give it a go and see if it works out,perhaps buy in a UN 54 to future proof it :wink:
W H Auden
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

UN55
(Assume a typo above)
A thing of wonder.
Sweep
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

bigjim wrote:Image
It's that central barrel that contains the writing. That is swiveling around, quite loose. It's not connected to the bearing housing on each end. I've put some epoxy on it now and maybe add some tape as per your suggestion. The other BBs in my collection, the centre barrel/sleeve is solid. I don't think it has any purpose apart from some labeling or dust protection.

can't see your picture....
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

It's perfectly clear on my tablet.
W H Auden
mig

Post by mig »

FWIW i can't see bigjim's image either. it just says 'image' here.

on the subject of BBs. i removed one last week from a commuter bike. bought from SJS in 1999, never been out of the frame from new (although oil down the seat tube every so often) and has covered some 60,000 miles in all weathers. IIRC it's a FAG, sqjuare taper job, nothing fancy. totally unmarked for branding anyway. still turns in the hand really smoothly. is that usual in terms of longevity?
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

I can see it clearly on my laptop. Very strange.
I had one of those Fag BBs. bought the correct tool to remove it and it just stripped the threads and I couldn't get the thing out. Took it to an LBS who charged me £50 to remove it. He damaged the paint on the frame and cocked up the frame threads. I had to redo the threading myself. The frame wasn't worth £50. The guy is a regular on one of the cycling websites so I stupidly trusted him.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bigjim's image can't be seen now on my tablet,very strange :?
W H Auden
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

No problem see his picture, so I saved it and reposted below just in case. see if that works!
IMG_20200418_134955.jpg
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

That worked, thanks tatanab!

That is not a shimano BB, it is a 'RPM' branded one.

The sleeve is just a spacer, and is under a large compressive load (and therefore trapped) when the BB is installed correctly. No need for glue, not there, anyway.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
bgnukem

Post by bgnukem »

Interesting. I've bought a few of those type of BBs which have the number '7420' on them along with various brands including 'RPM' and sometimes Sugino (I think), but usually the sleeve is interference-fitted into the RH cup and the latter can't be removed.

The advantage of the BB shown there is that it would be possible to pry off the bearing shields and grease both bearings, while usually the RH bearing cannot be accessed.

Where can I get one like that??