DIY touring shifters; stem/bar centre mounts

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Bonefishblues
Posts: 8204
Joined: 7 Jul 2014, 9:45pm
Location: Near Bicester Oxon

Re: DIY touring shifters; stem/bar centre mounts

Postby Bonefishblues » 12 Sep 2020, 5:32pm


Thanks - I thought I'd seen something, but my searches didn't find it!

Bonefishblues
Posts: 8204
Joined: 7 Jul 2014, 9:45pm
Location: Near Bicester Oxon

Re: DIY touring shifters; stem/bar centre mounts

Postby Bonefishblues » 14 Sep 2020, 8:26am

Bonefishblues wrote:

Thanks - I thought I'd seen something, but my searches didn't find it!

Hmmmm, that looks like a right faff (I can feel the little teeth just not engaging). Better to replace I guess??

Brucey
Posts: 40455
Joined: 4 Jan 2012, 6:25pm

Re: DIY touring shifters; stem/bar centre mounts

Postby Brucey » 14 Sep 2020, 10:13am

Bonefishblues wrote:Hmmmm, that looks like a right faff (I can feel the little teeth just not engaging). Better to replace I guess??


yes, probably. It wasn't easy to do, and it was very fiddly; I only did it to see if I could (*), rather than that it would be a practical and cost-effective repair. I had hoped that I'd get some feedback about the longevity of the repair, but the bike in question has a different home now and the new owner apparently 'doesn't change gear'.

BTW as noted in the linked post tightening the D ring is instinctively what you might think to do, but invariably this makes the problem worse, since it means the pawl/wedge will be forced to slip under higher load than before, creating even more damage.

(*) At some point the supplies of such shifters on e-bay may dry up altogether and then crazy collectors may wish to carry out similar repairs perhaps.

For something to actually use, a SunRace M90 LH thumbshifter is not too much money and the (face) ratchet internals are all made of metal so ought to be reasonably strong. You can adjust the friction in the reverse direction of course. They are not perfect ( the innards require lube -not too thick- if they are not to start binding/corroding) but ought to do the job OK.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bonefishblues
Posts: 8204
Joined: 7 Jul 2014, 9:45pm
Location: Near Bicester Oxon

Re: DIY touring shifters; stem/bar centre mounts

Postby Bonefishblues » 14 Sep 2020, 10:56am

Brucey wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Hmmmm, that looks like a right faff (I can feel the little teeth just not engaging). Better to replace I guess??


yes, probably. It wasn't easy to do, and it was very fiddly; I only did it to see if I could (*), rather than that it would be a practical and cost-effective repair. I had hoped that I'd get some feedback about the longevity of the repair, but the bike in question has a different home now and the new owner apparently 'doesn't change gear'.

BTW as noted in the linked post tightening the D ring is instinctively what you might think to do, but invariably this makes the problem worse, since it means the pawl/wedge will be forced to slip under higher load than before, creating even more damage.

(*) At some point the supplies of such shifters on e-bay may dry up altogether and then crazy collectors may wish to carry out similar repairs perhaps.

For something to actually use, a SunRace M90 LH thumbshifter is not too much money and the (face) ratchet internals are all made of metal so ought to be reasonably strong. You can adjust the friction in the reverse direction of course. They are not perfect ( the innards require lube -not too thick- if they are not to start binding/corroding) but ought to do the job OK.

cheers

Thanks, that's helpful, I feared that was the case, and your choice of replacement was mine too.

rogerzilla
Posts: 1396
Joined: 9 Jun 2008, 8:06pm

Re: DIY touring shifters; stem/bar centre mounts

Postby rogerzilla » 14 Sep 2020, 11:37am

Microshift make 7 speed Shimano-compatible "STI" units which are your only alternative to secondhand or NOS Sora STIs. They index just fine, although the LH shifter has no effective trim function.

cycle tramp
Posts: 832
Joined: 5 Aug 2009, 7:22pm

Re: DIY touring shifters; stem/bar centre mounts

Postby cycle tramp » 14 Sep 2020, 10:19pm

Suddenly it seems as if shimano, sachs et al are trying too hard;

https://bikerumor.com/2014/12/03/a-shif ... the-world/

Brucey
Posts: 40455
Joined: 4 Jan 2012, 6:25pm

Re: DIY touring shifters; stem/bar centre mounts

Postby Brucey » 15 Sep 2020, 12:31am

ImageImage


nice idea; I wonder how well it actually works?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

cycle tramp
Posts: 832
Joined: 5 Aug 2009, 7:22pm

Re: DIY touring shifters; stem/bar centre mounts

Postby cycle tramp » 15 Sep 2020, 5:01pm

Brucey wrote:ImageImage


nice idea; I wonder how well it actually works?

cheers


As a deterrent to theft? - probably very well.
But it does make me wonder if the whole shifter thing is being over thought - I mean provided there is enough cable movement and the clamp fits the handlebars, stem or down tube- why not use a throttle control assembly from a vintage lawn motor or a choke lever or advance / retard lever from a classic motor cycle?

Brucey
Posts: 40455
Joined: 4 Jan 2012, 6:25pm

Re: DIY touring shifters; stem/bar centre mounts

Postby Brucey » 15 Sep 2020, 6:17pm

cycle tramp wrote:…. it does make me wonder if the whole shifter thing is being over thought - I mean provided there is enough cable movement and the clamp fits the handlebars, stem or down tube- why not use a throttle control assembly from a vintage lawn motor or a choke lever or advance / retard lever from a classic motor cycle?


undoubtedly many gear levers are too complicated for their own good. But then again vintage lawnmower/motorcycle parts....? No thank you; they weigh a ton, and may pull much cable for small movement.

Ever used a SA quadrant shifter? One of those, modernised, improved, with a DIY-able customised insert would provide a versatile indexed lever....?

The thing that worries me about the onestreet shifter is that it is not at all obvious what stops the bolt from unscrewing....?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~