Headset bearing trouble

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
robert17

Headset bearing trouble

Post by robert17 »

People, I'm in the process of giving my the new (secondhand) bike a damn good overhaul and doing really well, if I do say so. However, the headset - is rank. It has clearly not been looked at since new around six or seven years ago. Now the bearing cartridges were in need of a bit of a tap to get out and are really corroded inside. Sadly there is no marking on them, however with some research and some measurement, I think I have worked them out and have found some at Wych Bearings, see below;

http://www.wychbearings.co.uk/MH-P03K.html

However, to keep going until any new ones arrive, I tried to refit the old ones and the top one especially needed some careful rubber mallet action to get in. Now my headset experience is not great, but should they not just slot in? Or is a bit of force okay? Any help or experience would be gratefully received.

Bike by the way is a Dolan Preffisio c2013.

Thank you,

Robert.
Marcus Aurelius

Re: Headset bearing trouble

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Get a bearing press, and they will just slot straight in.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/park-tool-home ... ess-hhp-3/
I use this one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Quality-Headse ... B011IOU8WQ

I use something like this to get the cartridge bearings out, you can make your own from a bit of pipe if you want.
robert17

Post by robert17 »

Okay, but when I watched a YouTube tutorial the bearing cartridges were simply placed in with no need for any tool. My two previous experiences with headsets were both loose bearings some time ago by the way. Many thanks.
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
The bearing shouldn't need more than hand-pressure to reseat if it matches the cup/integrated seat, the cups will need pressing in (if separate rather than integrated)
The problem comes when a SHIS IS52mm lower (for example) is specified by the frame manufacturer, but the bearing that fits best is actually 51.8mm, e.g. FSA No 42 ACB. Ask me how I know this :roll: 0.2mm isn't much, but the 52mm bearing won't go in
I expect that in your case if it came out, it'll go back in but it shouldn't need much action with a mallet
Regards
tim-b
Last edited by tim-b on 19 Apr 2020, 10:11pm, edited 2 times in total.
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

If the bearing is tough to refit, how was it coming out?
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Marcus Aurelius

Mike Sales wrote:If the bearing is tough to refit, how was it coming out?

With a drift and a mallet ( probably)
Marcus Aurelius

robert17 wrote:Okay, but when I watched a YouTube tutorial the bearing cartridges were simply placed in with no need for any tool. My two previous experiences with headsets were both loose bearings some time ago by the way. Many thanks.

The tolerances can be hilarious. The press will ensure they go in flat. I’ve had all sorts of headset bearings over the years, the ACB cartridges are generally easier than loose cup and bearing / cup and cone arrangements ( usually), but not always. Trial and error, with a decent press should do the trick.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:

Then why did the OP expect them to just slot in, I wondered.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Marcus Aurelius

Mike Sales wrote:
Marcus Aurelius wrote:

Then why did the OP expect them to just slot in, I wondered.

They can be tight, it all depends on the frame and bearing combo. A lot of ‘online tutorials’ tend to (deliberately) choose the easiest combo they can find, in order to get more ‘likes’ and less critical comments. They tend to have taken ages to find a combo that looks like it’s easy to fit, that’s a common trick, with all sorts of components shown on such tutorials. Whether those ‘easy’ combo’s actually work in the real world is debatable.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

If your a big tight but handy a press can be made from some plastic chopping board and threaded rod nuts and large washers.

Shouldn't need too force tbh.

If it's stubborn get a hair dryer and heat up the Alu frame whist the bearings are in the freezer.

Cheers James
robert17

Post by robert17 »

Many thanks all. I have sent Dolan an email asking to dig out the dimensions of the correct ones, so I'll see what they say. It did occur to me since that maybe the internal corrosion inside has swollen the cartridge a little and a new one may just slip in. We'll see.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Whilst your at it check the forks for integrity?

viewtopic.php?t=136143

Cheers James
slowster

Post by slowster »

robert17 wrote:It did occur to me since that maybe the internal corrosion inside has swollen the cartridge a little and a new one may just slip in.

I would use a vernier or digital caliper to take a few measurements to check for size and roundness of both the external diameter of the bearings and the internal diameter of the top and bottom of the head tube in which the bearings are seated (assuming it's an integrated headset).
robert17

Post by robert17 »

I took the measurements using a caliper and had a reply from Dolan. They are sending me a whole new headset with bearings for only a few quid more than a pair of bearings on their own. I'll let you know how I get on. Also, checked fork. Looked fine. Thanks all.
robert17

Post by robert17 »

New headset arrived. Bearing cartridges match those I had so needed a fair tap from the mallet. All together and working perfectly. So it would seem that a bit of force can be called for. All's well that ends well....