Lube, cleaner etc. Haven't I got enough yet?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mikeymo

Lube, cleaner etc. Haven't I got enough yet?

Post by mikeymo »

About to start overhauling my bike fleet. 6 (or is it 7?) bikes. Some practically brand new, some a bit aged, and some fairly well used.

There's a mixture of derailleurs and nexus/alfine. Brakes all mechanical, disk, V, cantilever and Shimano roller.

I'm wondering what I'm missing, hopefully not much, but I seem to be making a lot of little orders from SJS and similar. Would like to just make one.

Here's the collection, have I missed anything?

So, I'm thinking:

1. The Copper Ease (it's about 30 years old, does it matter?) for seatposts, BB threads, pedal threads. Anywhere else it goes? Is Park's aluminium based stuff any better?

2. The CV grease for (loose ball) headsets. Anywhere else? Presumably anywhere that just needs protection where I don't want it to get runny. Or the lithium as general grease.

3. Dinitrol for inside steel frames.

4. I've got the special Shimano stuff for the roller brakes.

5. The Park blue stuff for general lubrication.

6. Isopropyl Alcohol to clean disc brake pads (if they need it). White spirit as a general degreaser?

What about the inside of STIs - I've heard people recommend Carlube 100+?
And I haven't got whatever is meant to be used for Nexus/Alfines. If any of them need attention.

If there's one thing that will do several jobs I wouldn't mind at all treating myself to one of the Park guns.
julianm

Re: Lube, cleaner etc. Haven't I got enough yet?

Post by julianm »

You could always flog the isopropanol at a huge profit - the price has gone up enormously during the covid outbreak - used in hand sanitisers.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

I only use three lubricants

WD40 / GT85

semi fluid grease

Chain lube or chain wax in winter.

Seem to get by on limited maintainace!

Cheers James
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Can isopropyl alcohol be used on Wheel rims?
If so any methodology/precautions to be taken when using it?

Or do you use the meths for wheel rims mike?
If so, questions as above re method.
(I use washing up liquid on my rims but have to make several passes with tooth brush and paper and am sure there must be something faster/more effective - my real concern in looking for something is not damaging my tyres or flesh)

Good thread start by the way. am all for using generic products on bikes wherever possible.
Sweep
pwa

Post by pwa »

Any old paint thinner (white spirit / turps) does my chain and gear parts. Dirt cheap, always in my garage, no brand premium price. I leave it in a tub where the dirt decants to the bottom so the liquid gets lots of use. I have some parts in the tub now, actually. They have been in there about a week, so they should be degreased by now. I had forgotten about them.
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

Sweep wrote:Can isopropyl alcohol be used on Wheel rims?
If so any methodology/precautions to be taken when using it?

Or do you use the meths for wheel rims mike?
If so, questions as above re method.
(I use washing up liquid on my rims but have to make several passes with tooth brush and paper and am sure there must be something faster/more effective - my real concern in looking for something is not damaging my tyres or flesh)

Good thread start by the way. am all for using generic products on bikes wherever possible.

The meths is for when I take a break and need a drink :-)

Actually, I'm relatively new to all this, so I just gathered up everything I had that I thought might be vaguely useful, and took a photo. I've not cleaned wheel rims yet. I'd probably try to keep harsh chemicals away from rubber.

The isopropyl alcohol is actually serving as a virus killer at the moment, so I'll go sparingly with that. I bought it originally to clean disc brake pads.

My main uncertainty is around the Nexus/Alfine hubs. But that's a whole separate subject and Brucey has done a very good job of describing service fluids that may be needed, in previous threads. No need to reopen here.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Ta for reply - somewhat intrigued by the idea of someone with 6 or 7 bikes being new to the game.
Sweep
mig

Post by mig »

do you find that the "muc off wet lube" results in the stickiest/muckiest of chains?
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

Sweep wrote:Ta for reply - somewhat intrigued by the idea of someone with 6 or 7 bikes being new to the game.

It's a long story. Some are sort of duplicates (2 versions of a Subway Carrera 8, trying to find the right size), at least one or maybe 2, are the children's bikes. One is a special purpose folder that never got used for its intended job, as I stopped doing the sort of work for which I bought it (though that's one I must resurrect. 26" wheel folder, very useful). Etc.

"New to the game" compared to many here, in terms of repair/maintenance.

Cheers.
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

mig wrote:do you find that the "muc off wet lube" results in the stickiest/muckiest of chains?

I don't know, haven't used it for ages. I didn't really mean the thread to be a "which is the best chain lube?" discussion. That's been done to death. I'm thinking more about repairs and annual service/overhaul type fluids.

But as you've mentioned it, I've got so many half finished bottles of chain lube of one sort or another, acquired when I bought used bikes, or that my son brought back from university, that I'm just going to use whatever I've got till they're all gone. Then I'll visit the great "how to lube my chain" issue.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Couldn't see any "Duraglit" there. :D
https://images.app.goo.gl/tswrWiYBzmhBUdGb8
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

rjb wrote:Couldn't see any "Duraglit" there. :D
https://images.app.goo.gl/tswrWiYBzmhBUdGb8

Well spotted. I'll visit my local hardware emporium right now and get some. Better stock up on brillo pads while I'm there too.