SP dynamo hub

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
NUKe

Re: SP dynamo hub

Post by NUKe »

been using an SP for all round commuting for 3.5 years, no problems done 20k plus . Only slight niggle is the connecter furs up occasionally , not quite as good as the similar Shimano one. but can be cleaned up and greased.

In terms of lights the B&M IQ-X is 100 lumen and because of the beam Pattern is far superior to most Power battery lights.(IMHO)
NUKe

Post by Jdsk »

Cyckelgalen wrote:If I may ask, what sort of mileage have you got out of those 3 SP hubs?

I don't keep records but the one that's done the most will be something like:
SP PV-8 non-disc
6 years and 8,000 km, nearly all on roads.

Jonathan
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

NUKe wrote:
In terms of lights the B&M IQ-X is 100 lumen and because of the beam Pattern is far superior to most Power battery lights.(IMHO)

I agree the light is very good but this is because it is 100 lux. 100 lumens isn't that much; 100 lux is 100 lumens per square metre.

FWIW waxoyl works well on hub dynamo connections

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Brucey wrote:
NUKe wrote:

I agree the light is very good but this is because it is 100 lux. 100 lumens isn't that much; 100 lux is 100 lumens per square metre.

FWIW waxoyl works well on hub dynamo connections

cheers

yep sorry slip of the pen so to speak. And a great tip there Waxoyl. I normal use silicone grease, which does seem to disappear with use. my own fault probably when cleaning
NUKe

Post by Brucey »

FWIW if you use hot water to wash the bike with, it can wash waxoyl away; it just melts. IIRC the wax part softens at about 45-50C or thereabouts.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
martinn

Post by martinn »

I have a USE branded SP and a SP dynamo hub. They look identical.
The USE branded hub is the oldest I have, and that's on the commuter. The one on the "best bike", which does the most miles, (but less journeys), I am on my second Hub, the first broke before the end of two years, and was replaced under warranty.

Is there any difference, i don't know, was the SP hub a faulty one?, and is the quality control better at USE?

regards

Martin
martinn

Post by martinn »

Just hijacking/ resurrecting this thread.

My latest SP hub has now failed, less than two years after replacement, and has a significantly reduced amount of miles on it to the previous one that failed, and was replaced under warranty.
The USE version is still going, and that one has done at least 10K miles now.
I also have a Son Delux on another bike, and that is faultless, but this is a through axel design. 9I need a QR one)

So after two failures I am considering replacing the wheel with a Son Delux (Probably from Spa), on the belief that the hub is more robust.
Am I correct in my thoughts?
I am around 82Kg, and do have a tendency to get out of the saddle....it the failure of the Hubs a combination of that, and changing the brand of hub will not make a difference

Thanks

Martin
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

How has it failed?
martinn

Post by martinn »

Massive amount of movement at the hub.
Spokes are tight, and around 4mm each way of the rim under load
Bun

Post by Bun »

The bearings in my SP PD8 (2016) started causing issues earlier this year (May 2022). I had to strip the wheel down and send the hub back to Taiwan for bearning replacement. All in all it worked out about £48 incl postage via Royal Mail.
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

I think you have to treat them as disposable, which is ok if you buy them at a good price and can rebuild wheels. Otherwise, buy a SON or Shimano.
PH

Post by PH »

Bun wrote: 26 Jul 2022, 9:01am The bearings in my SP PD8 (2016) started causing issues earlier this year (May 2022). I had to strip the wheel down and send the hub back to Taiwan for bearning replacement. All in all it worked out about £48 incl postage via Royal Mail.
From the UK? That's not good, or the information posted earlier in this thread. Ison the UK distributor has previously handled such issues, usually be re-conditioning, or swapping for a re-con unit, for £25. Did you try them? It'd be a shame if they no longer offered it.
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

PH wrote: 26 Jul 2022, 9:57am
Bun wrote: 26 Jul 2022, 9:01am The bearings in my SP PD8 (2016) started causing issues earlier this year (May 2022). I had to strip the wheel down and send the hub back to Taiwan for bearning replacement. All in all it worked out about £48 incl postage via Royal Mail.
From the UK? That's not good, or the information posted earlier in this thread. Ison the UK distributor has previously handled such issues, usually be re-conditioning, or swapping for a re-con unit, for £25. Did you try them? It'd be a shame if they no longer offered it.
I had mine done by Ison last August, £25 including their postage to me.
Ison carry some stock for this service, so perhaps the OPs version wasn't in stock.
The hub I received back looked brand new, certainly a new shell, so not sure what reconditioning consists of at the factory in Taiwan, new bearings and new shell but transfer the electrical part over? Or complete new hub, seems unlikely?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

rualexander wrote: 26 Jul 2022, 12:50pmI had mine done by Ison last August, £25 including their postage to me.
Thanks. That's very helpful to know.

Jonathan
rjb

Post by rjb »

Interesting thread about replacing the bearings here.
"SP dynamo hub bearing replacement - Cycling UK Forum" viewtopic.php?t=147603

"mattsccm wrote: ↑People, including me, have in the past questioned the possibility of replacing the bearings in these hubs. Advice is often to return them to the distributor who will do it for under 30 quid. Earlier in the year I tried this approach and found several snags. They were very helpful but would only consider hubs that they had dealt with. The serial nunber tells them this. Hubs that came into the UK built into a bike are not considered nor are the hubs sold by Exposure as their own. The only option here is to send them direct to the makers yourself. . Again contacts proved very helpful and it looks easy. I was put off by the need to declare the package as minimal value to avoid duties etc which means that it could not be insured at its true value. I dithered etc and eventually found a Youtube clip showing how to do one side. This one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLkid1ksWno
Note, he only does the easy side. Mine was rough both sides so with nothing to lose I continued from where he left off.
Easy. Basically tap the axle through from the connector tap side until that bit pops off. Gently free the wires and lift them through the rest of the hub shell. Done. Now press the bearings out, replace and reassemble.
Took me longer to yank the spokes out of the wheel which you would have to do to send it off anyway."

When you replace the connector side bearing which way do you knock the axle out? From the outside in or the inside out?
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D