SP dynamo hub

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mattsccm

SP dynamo hub

Post by mattsccm »

Any good? Actually its a USE branded one. Never used such a thing. Can they power LED lights close in spec to modern battery LEDs? (not silly great thigs but the nominal 100 lumen sort of thing) Been offered one.
Brucey

Re: SP dynamo hub

Post by Brucey »

they are OK; lightweight and low drag. If it has a ~K*** mark it'll make 3W just like every other hub generator. However bearing replacement is not a good DIY proposition. To change the bearings you have to take the wheel to bits (or pay someone else to do it) and then ship the hub to Isons where they will do a repair/exchange for ~£25. Then rebuild the wheel.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Very pleased with PV-8s on three tourers.

I found Chris Juden's feature and review of five products helpful: Cycle December-January 2012-13.

But I'd imagine that there's a more recent review out there...

Jonathan
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

the main thing that puts me off them is that the flanges are very close to one another. This makes for a weaker wheel; they don't offer a widebody version of their hub , equivalent to the SON widebody. In fairness it doesn't make that much difference with a disc brake wheel; they are weaker anyway.

cheers
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

What is so special about the bearings? Hidden within the generator bit or something.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I have on on my Moulton. Seems excellent.
https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s133p43 ... YNAMO-PV-8
Narrow, yes, but it's only a front wheel.
Mick F. Cornwall
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

mattsccm wrote:What is so special about the bearings?

nothing much except where they are

Hidden within the generator bit or something.

that is more or less it. I assume that you have to split the hubshell into the two halves to fit new bearings.

cheers
PH

Post by PH »

mattsccm wrote:Any good? Actually its a USE branded one.

You might investigate if the USE version is just re branding or something more. I don't know either way, though I read those made for Supernova had upgraded bearings and better seals. There's also a disadvantage - SP via the distributor do an out of warranty exchange, I think it's a reconditioned one for £25, I doubt this applies to those with different branding.
I have a SP disk version on my folder, it's fine. In terms of output, with my lights, there's no noticeable difference between my SON, Shimano or SP. But since buying I've heard lots of failure stories, if I was buying again I'd probably go for Shimano, though that's probably irrelevant if you're buying secondhand.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

PH wrote:….. SP via the distributor do an out of warranty exchange, I think it's a reconditioned one for £25, I doubt this applies to those with different branding....

good point

cheers
Cyckelgalen

Post by Cyckelgalen »

When it comes to durability, the bearings are the main concern, possibly the only concern
. Anyone knows what bearings SP use. Manufacturer? Are they standard measure?
Cyckelgalen

Post by Cyckelgalen »

On rebranding. I believe several brands are rebranded SP's. Exposure and Biologic Joule 3(Dahon/Term) are two of them.
Cyckelgalen

Post by Cyckelgalen »

[quote="Jdsk"]Very pleased with PV-8s on three tourers.

If I may ask, what sort of mileage have you got out of those 3 SP hubs?
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

mattsccm wrote:Can they power LED lights close in spec to modern battery LEDs? (not silly great thigs but the nominal 100 lumen sort of thing)

Yes.

A good dynamo light, such as a B+M Cyo Premium, would be something like 250 lumen, and competetive with a round beam battery light claiming 400 to 500 lumen.

The beam would generally be a "road" beam, with a sharp cut off that doesn't dazzle oncoming traffic, but also doesn't work well with off-road hazards like steep down & ups or overhanging branches.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Cheers. Just thinking of my commute which is 6 miles each way of forestry gravel and 4 of road, funnily enough with a 100 yard 20 % drop and climb double hair pin . Maybe the muck in the winter will be a bit much.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Cyckelgalen wrote:On rebranding. I believe several brands are rebranded SP's. Exposure and Biologic Joule 3(Dahon/Term) are two of them.

Also supernova I believe.

I think SP have made the through-axle versions of their hubs by using bearings with a similar OD, which means they must have much smaller ball-bearings inside them, and a lower load rating. Reports of bearing problems with these hub variants seem to be more common; either that or the folk that buy such hubs moan more when they go wrong.

from the swhs website; SP-PD8 hubshell has been cut open

Standard QR hubs (above) appear to use bearing with a 10mm bore dimension. I have some dim memory of these hubs having Japanese made bearings of purportedly higher quality than some, but I may have misremembered that. Anyway bearings seem to be a weak spot. I would imagine that you might be able to keep the seal lips wetted better by regularly spraying something (aerosol SFG?) from the outside, and that ought to make them last longer.

cheers