Shifter options for 9-sp drop-bar tourer

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
nosmarbaj

Shifter options for 9-sp drop-bar tourer

Post by nosmarbaj »

Hello

My drop-bar tourer has Shimano 3x9 gears. Shifters are old (2004-ish) Tiagra STI, and have "washing-line" gear cables which I really dislike. I need to replace the shifters - the LH one has finally given up the ghost - but the rest of the gear system is just right and I want to keep it.

I don't want to replace like-for-like with 9-speed STI, because they're pricey and I definitely don't want "washing lines". I use a bar-end mirror which I want to keep, so bar-end shifters are out. Down-tube shifters are a possibility; but I'm wondering about using a Minoura Space Grip (which I have in my parts box) fixed on the steerer to provide a centrally-mounted length of 22.2mm tube just below the bars, and mount MTB thumb shifters on it.

Options for thumb shifters are
(1) Jtek thumb shifter mounts, plus suitable down-tube or bar-end levers eg Dia-Compe friction levers, plus a pair of barrel adjusters for the Jtek mounts.
(2) Sun Race M96 thumb shifters

Option 1 is around £75, but I could try it out for the cost of the Jtek adapters by borrowing bits from another bike. It has the advantage of allowing a wide range of levers to be used.
Option 2 is about £40; the RH lever is indexed, which may be a small advantage (I don't much care about it), but may mean they're less reliable.
Of course in either case I'd need brake levers too.

The cost isn't important, but I'm reluctant to buy something that just doen't work for me.

Has anyone any comments? In particular have you got any experience of the Jtek or Sun Race components?

Thanks in advance!
reohn2

Re: Shifter options for 9-sp drop-bar tourer

Post by reohn2 »

Were I in the same position.I'd rule out the Sunrace option,their 9sp index levers are frankly crap with to much backlsh in them.
I wouldn't want to go back to friction shifting on the rear, front mech friction has it's advantages and is easy to trim ofpver three chainrings.

The Minoura Space grip idea has merit.
With a 22.2mm length of straight tube fitted you could use Deore 3x9sp MTB pod shifters mounted on it
Similarly with a short length of tube cut from anm old drop bar,you could mount a pair of 9sp bar end shifters in the ends.
Third(my preferred option)is Kelly Take Offs with Dura Ace 9sp DT levers.

One thing's for sure once you escape the road STI cost a plenty trap,you won't want to go back.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

the SunRace M90 LH shifter is pretty good. The indexed RH shifters that go with it are not so good; they usually have 'sticky backlash' which means you need to pull them back to the detent following each downshift.

Any indexed front shifter will only work 100% correctly with the matched FD. Also you may need trim clicks with your FD and chainset combination. So I wouldn't look at MTB pods as being a first choice for use with your extant mechs. This leaves you with various thumbshifters /mounts or bar end shifters, much as you surmise.

However there is also an 'off the peg' solution, which is ST-R3030 3x9 STIs. These have underbartape cable routing and will work with your 3x9 setup in the same way as the extant tiagra shifters do. They are 131 euros from bike24, maybe less from other places. This is still a lot of money but it isn't quite as bad as the 200 quid or so that UK retailers want.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

Another possibility is Kelly Take Offs.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-spares/kelly-take-off-gear-lever-adaptors-per-pair/

If you change your mind about replacing like for like the latest Sora R3000 9 speed STI's aren't too pricey if ordered from Germany and they don't have washing lines.

https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/shimano-sora-st-r3000-brakeshift-lever-combination-882441?product_shape=charcoal&article_size=triple%2F9-speed

There's also some useful discussion on Brucey's recent thread here.
boblo

Post by boblo »

I've just put some Shimano Sora r3030 3x9 shifters on a bike and they're fine and no washing lines. I'm running 105, Ultegra, Dura Ace STI's and Dura Ace bar ends on other bikes so have plenty to compare to. Bit early for durability tho... I paid less than £120 from Amazon IIRC.

The OP could also try some Campag shifters and a Jtech jobbie? Not sure on front shifting. AIUI, the more recent Campag front shifters are indexed. Older; non indexed with multiple (6?) trim positions and older still; non indexed with yet more (11?) trim positions?
Last edited by boblo on 1 May 2020, 2:31pm, edited 3 times in total.
nosmarbaj

Post by nosmarbaj »

reohn2 wrote:Were I in the same position.I'd rule out the Sunrace option
The Sun Race option seemed the neatest but I had an idea folk had problems with their shifters, so thanks for confirming that.
With a 22.2mm length of straight tube fitted you could use Deore 3x9sp MTB pod shifters mounted on it
I don't think there would be room for pod-type shifters (there's a bar-bag mount there too), plus possible indexing problems as mentioned by Brucey.
... Kelly Take Offs with Dura Ace 9sp DT levers
Don't they have "washing-line" gear cables? I know some perople don't mind these, but I do!

Brucey wrote:However there is also an 'off the peg' solution, which is ST-R3030 3x9 STIs. These have underbartape cable routing and will work with your 3x9 setup in the same way as the extant tiagra shifters do
Great! I had assumed no 9-speed STI's had under-tape routing (photos often show the "outer" view of the shifters so it's not clear where the gear cables exit). This is ideal for me - I know STI's aren't perfect but I have no big problems with them; and they may be a bit dear, but the last lot lasted 15 or 16 years. If I'm still around in another 16 years, I doubt I'll still be cycle touring!

Thanks again for the advice.

(Thanks also to others who replied after I'd written this message, basically confirming that the Sora STI's would suit).
nosmarbaj

Post by nosmarbaj »

boblo wrote:The OP could also try some Campag shifters and a Jtech jobbie?
I actually had just this set-up on a previous bike; it worked quite well but:
i) the hole in the Jtek Shiftmate where the cable exits to the mech wore round the edges because there was nothing to hold the steel cable centrally in the hole, and the Shiftmate is made of alloy. This didn't actually cause any real problems, but...
ii) the Campag shifters (Veloce IIRC) disintegrated after not many years, in spite of having had various bits replaced.