Noisy Brooks saddle

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
carlislemike

Noisy Brooks saddle

Post by carlislemike »

Ok, rather bizarre question; I have a noisy Brooks saddle. I have used the Brooks Saddle treatment to no avail as did tightening the bolt. Doesn’t seem to sag down to the seat post so no obvious physical reason. As it’s just had a replacement bolt fitted by Brooks, I doubt it’s a mechanical fault. Any suggestions welcome. I may have to resort to the old boots’ answer, dubbin.

As an aside question, why do I seem to slide forward so much unless I’m on the full arms stretched out position.
peterh11

Re: Noisy Brooks saddle

Post by peterh11 »

carlislemike wrote:Ok, rather bizarre question; I have a noisy Brooks saddle. I have used the Brooks Saddle treatment to no avail as did tightening the bolt. Doesn’t seem to sag down to the seat post so no obvious physical reason. As it’s just had a replacement bolt fitted by Brooks, I doubt it’s a mechanical fault. Any suggestions welcome. I may have to resort to the old boots’ answer, dubbin.

As an aside question, why do I seem to slide forward so much unless I’m on the full arms stretched out position.

Which saddle is it? I had the one which is a sprung version of the B17 for a number of years. Very comfortable but I battled with a creak for a long time to no avail. Lacing up the sides and dripping the Brooks goo in between the metal bits and the leather helped somewhat. In the end I got a Cambium C17, which I love, so I bought 2 more.

As regards sliding forward, I suspect you need to play around with the saddle position - perhaps move it forward and back a bit to try, perhaps tilt the nose up just a touch. Might also be to do with handlebar position. Very hard to tell without seeing pictures, but I do suggest you experiment with position generally. 531Colin, Brucey and I had a conversation about this in this forum about 3 years ago including pictures- just search on my posts and you will find the discussion which might be helpful. As a result of that I moved my saddle back a bit and adjusted the tilt slightly.

Peter H
carlislemike

Post by carlislemike »

It’s a Swift. I accept suggestions re position so try again tomorrow
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

Creaking usually comes from the seat post, the saddle bolts. Try tightening that., but first tilt the seat up a bit.
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

It’s a Swift.
Is there any titanium involved here? I only ask 'cos in my cycling experience, bloomin' titanium is one of the noisiest metals around! My Brompton has a titanium seat post and for months it screeched and squeaked, a situation I attempted to resolve with various heavings on bolts & sprayings with sundry unguents such as WD40, talcum powder (Johnsons Baby powder, since you ask...), etc. etc. What did it in the end was a squirt of Halford's Silicone and Rubber lube. All fell silent after that...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
hoogerbooger

Post by hoogerbooger »

I've not had this on my B17, but on another bike/saddle.....after a while diagnoses creaking to the rails in the seat pin clamp.....but tightening didn't sort it. Eventually ended up adding a bit of inner tube around the rails before clamping.Not ideal but solved the creaking.
old fangled
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

I had a creak on a flyer for ages that I thought was somewhere where the leather met metal but eventually turned out to be a metal to metal creak in the saddle hardware. Try precision dropping thin oil into all the metal to metal interfaces if you haven't already.
carlislemike

Post by carlislemike »

Thank you for all that advice. Oiling it tonight. Mike