Tandem Tyre Choice in 26 x 2.0 ?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
pwa

Re: Tandem Tyre Choice in 26 x 2.0 ?

Postby pwa » 13 May 2020, 7:35pm

reohn2 wrote:
pwa wrote:I think you can feel when a tandem tyre is too soft for the load. It deforms too much and you end up pumping it up until it looks and feels right. On a wide (1,75") tyre that, for me, means close to or at the stated max.

But that's a vague way of doijg things especially when tyres vary so much in many way ie; a Hyper is a world away from an M+ as slug from a greyhound.
To get the best from any tyre involves a lot more than readingnthe sidewall and pumping it up to that pressure,it's reason so many people are still stuck in the narrow high pressure = fast/wide low pressure = slow belief.

I think when I pumped up 26 x 1.75" Paselas on a tandem I just went for it, with no reference to what was written on the side of the tyre, got them so they felt right, then found on checking that they were at or about the max. Much lower than that and the tandem felt bouncy, which I don't like.

It was my impression that bike tyres are generally designed for the weight of one rider and a solo bike and putting the weight of two people on two tyres is going to require a significantly higher pressure than you can get away with if you only have one rider. And you are going to be nudging max as stated on the tyre.

You can also easily get close to the max load. Supremes in 1.6" variant have a max load of 100kg each. A tandem can weigh over 23kg, baggage can weigh 10kg say, which leaves only 167kg capacity for the riders. Most male / female combos would come in below that but some would exceed it.

For mixed use these Duremes look worth considering. https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tyres/schwa ... nch-50559/
Last edited by pwa on 13 May 2020, 7:57pm, edited 1 time in total.

brumster

Postby brumster » 13 May 2020, 7:55pm

Brucey wrote:tyres have different load ratings and you have not said how much your machine and crew weigh.

In the Schwalbe catalogue it says for 26" x 2" size (max load per tyre)

Marathon Plus 118kg
Marathon Greenguard 118kg
Marathon Supreme 120kg
Marathon Mondial (folding) 130kg
Marathon Mondial (wired) 115kg
Big Apple 125kg
Kojak 130kg
Marathon GT Tour 118kg
Marathon GT 365 118kg

this is a smaller difference than I remember within Schwalbe's range. Some other manufacturers don't quote load ratings for their tyres at all. NB please check this but it is normal for the maximum load to be permitted only at the maximum allowable pressure of the tyre. At lower pressures than the maximum permitted you must derate the tyre and I have assumed that a linear interpolation ought to be appropriate.

If so then comparing (say) the Mondial folding (it will accept 130kg at 70psi so at 35psi 65kg is possible) with the Mondial wired which will accept 115kg at 70psi then at 35psi 57.5kg is possible. So you need about another 5psi more in the wired tyre if you want the same load on it.

cheers

And then there is the complication whether the rim will handle the max tyre pressure..

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 13 May 2020, 8:11pm

Jan Marten wrote:I haven't read all this thread but Schwalbe Dureme are fantastic tyres, if you can find them.
Schwalbe probably stopped making them because they're so good. Long lasting (18000kms easily), more pliable than Marathons and easy rolling.

Hmmmm, quick search and

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tyres/schwa ... nch-50559/

I jumped on the last pair of tandem duremes I found (actually I think R2 tipped me off) 2 or 3 years ago. They may well outlast me :D

IanA

Postby IanA » 13 May 2020, 9:37pm

We've been using Supremes on tandems for about the last 8 years, initially on 700c but now on 26''. Use is generally day rides and multi-week touring. I recall 3 punctures in one trip but no other issues. At the moment using 26 X 1.6. Have found them to be good on road and gravel tracks. They roll well, are comfortable and reliable. A similar question was recently asked on the Tandem Club Facebook page and Chris J also recommended the Supremes.

pwa

Postby pwa » 13 May 2020, 9:39pm

We have Panaracer Paselas on our Thorn tandem. Only 1.75" rather than 2.00, but they are a good lightish tyre for road and smooth track use, they roll well and they don't wear too quickly. Punctures are infrequent. If you don't go off road much, these are very suitable. Thorn were very keen on them for tandem use when we got the bike.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tyres/panar ... nch-42559/

zenitb

Postby zenitb » 13 May 2020, 9:49pm

pwa wrote:We have Panaracer Paselas on our Thorn tandem. Only 1.75" rather than 2.00, but they are a good lightish tyre for road and smooth track use, they roll well and they don't wear too quickly. Punctures are infrequent. If you don't go off road much, these are very suitable. Thorn were very keen on them for tandem use when we got the bike.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tyres/panar ... nch-42559/

440g wow !! they are light pwa !!

zenitb

Postby zenitb » 13 May 2020, 9:57pm

IanA wrote:We've been using Supremes on tandems for about the last 8 years, initially on 700c but now on 26''. Use is generally day rides and multi-week touring. I recall 3 punctures in one trip but no other issues. At the moment using 26 X 1.6. Have found them to be good on road and gravel tracks. They roll well, are comfortable and reliable. A similar question was recently asked on the Tandem Club Facebook page and Chris J also recommended the Supremes.

Sounds good Ian .. Chris Juden's imprimatur is praise indeed. I am certainly going to try them....

zenitb

Postby zenitb » 13 May 2020, 10:01pm

Bonefishblues wrote:
Jan Marten wrote:I haven't read all this thread but Schwalbe Dureme are fantastic tyres, if you can find them.
Schwalbe probably stopped making them because they're so good. Long lasting (18000kms easily), more pliable than Marathons and easy rolling.

Hmmmm, quick search and

I jumped on the last pair of tandem duremes I found (actually I think R2 tipped me off) 2 or 3 years ago. They may well outlast me :D

I will certainly consider the Duremes.. its good that SJSC have commissioned a new run of them. They are a bit more at the rugged end of the spectrum - like my Marathon Extremes so will probably be a good option when my limited stash of discontinued Extremes runs out...:-)

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 13 May 2020, 10:15pm

zenitb wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:

Hmmmm, quick search and

I will certainly consider the Duremes.. its good that SJSC have commissioned a new run of them. They are a bit more at the rugged end of the spectrum - like my Marathon Extremes so will probably be a good option when my limited stash of discontinued Extremes runs out...:-)

Mine are badged Tandem Duremes. I wonder if they are the same, as there used to be plain and tandem versions, iirc.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 13 May 2020, 11:06pm

just to confirm in both 2019 (p97) and 2020 (p99) Schwalbe catalogues it clearly states that the maximum load rating of the tyre applies at the maximum pressure. This is similar to the load rating for any other vehicle tyre. However I can't find any clear statement about how Schwalbe bicycle tyres should be derated at lower pressures.

FWIW Schwable at least publish load ratings for their tyres; plenty of bicycle manufacturers don't. I once contacted Panasonic to ask about whether their Panaracer tyres had a load rating and/or might be suitable for tandem use, and they replied that there was no load rating and yes they would be OK for tandem use. Needless to say I think this is complete B.S.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

pwa

Postby pwa » 14 May 2020, 5:51am

Brucey wrote:just to confirm in both 2019 (p97) and 2020 (p99) Schwalbe catalogues it clearly states that the maximum load rating of the tyre applies at the maximum pressure. This is similar to the load rating for any other vehicle tyre. However I can't find any clear statement about how Schwalbe bicycle tyres should be derated at lower pressures.

FWIW Schwable at least publish load ratings for their tyres; plenty of bicycle manufacturers don't. I once contacted Panasonic to ask about whether their Panaracer tyres had a load rating and/or might be suitable for tandem use, and they replied that there was no load rating and yes they would be OK for tandem use. Needless to say I think this is complete B.S.

cheers

There was a time when Panaracer Paselas were the default tyre on Thorn's Raven Twin tandems, and they even claimed that the Pasela was the only tyre (at that time) specifically rated for tandem use. I've done thousands of miles on them on our tandem with very few punctures and no other problems. But I didn't run them at low pressures. They seem compliant without doing that. Thorn were also introducing the first generation of Supremes on their tandems around that time but they said (at that time, not now) that the Supremes were faster but more fragile, and not for the puncture averse. If you look at what Thorn offer on new tandems now you will see no mention of Paselas, and no mention of Supremes puncturing.

Mike_Ayling

Postby Mike_Ayling » 14 May 2020, 6:38am

zenitb wrote:
Mike_Ayling wrote:I have had a set of Supremes 36 X 622 on my Thorn Mercury half bike and like their performance. So much so that I have purchased a set in 26 X 1.75 for our tandem for its next tyre chhange.

Mike
ah thanks mike...another vote for the Supremes... interested you are looking at the 1.75s...Another variable I guess.. but given we have the width in the frame (and the tandem is heavy anyway) I think maybe we will start with the 2.0s and see how it goes. The current 2.25” Marathon Extremes have given me a “plough through anything” captaining style and I will need time to adapt to narrower rubber!!!

Thorn suggested 1.75 as an all round choice for riding on road and we are not too heavy a crew, Mike75kg, Mary 50kg and 15-20kg of gear for credit card touring.

mike

Nebulous

Postby Nebulous » 14 May 2020, 8:21am

Mike_Ayling wrote:
. . . and 15-20kg of gear for credit card touring.

mike

Man! That's one heavy credit card ;-)
Ride, Eat, Sleep. Repeat

iandusud

Postby iandusud » 15 May 2020, 8:07am

IanA wrote:We've been using Supremes on tandems for about the last 8 years, initially on 700c but now on 26''. Use is generally day rides and multi-week touring. I recall 3 punctures in one trip but no other issues. At the moment using 26 X 1.6. Have found them to be good on road and gravel tracks. They roll well, are comfortable and reliable. A similar question was recently asked on the Tandem Club Facebook page and Chris J also recommended the Supremes.

Hi Ian, good to read of your experience with Supreme 26x1.6 which we have fitted to our tandem also. I would be interested in your experience with tyres pressures. I've experimented a fair bit and generally run them at 60psi f+r for an all up weight of around 175kg.

Thanks

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 15 May 2020, 8:27am

Brucey wrote:just to confirm in both 2019 (p97) and 2020 (p99) Schwalbe catalogues it clearly states that the maximum load rating of the tyre applies at the maximum pressure. This is similar to the load rating for any other vehicle tyre. However I can't find any clear statement about how Schwalbe bicycle tyres should be derated at lower pressures.

cheers

I couldn't findnthat in their tech details but I did find this:- https://www.schwalbe.com/en/luftdruck open the bottom section for more information.
-----------------------------------------------------------