Frame Protection

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
st599_uk

Frame Protection

Post by st599_uk »

Hi

I've seen a few mentions online of using "Helicopter Tape" to protect a frame.

Does anyone know where one could get such a product and how easy it is to fit?

Simon
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
Jdsk

Re: Frame Protection

Post by Jdsk »

Amazon
https://www.amazon.co.uk/helicopter-tape/s?k=helicopter+tape

That includes some from 3M which has a good reputation.

Jonathan
PH

Post by PH »

Or Ebay. I'd agree with Jdsk that 3M has a good reputation, there are some other good ones and some far less good, my current tape is branded Rhino Hide and it's one of the better ones. Amazon/Ebay are as always a bit hit and miss.
slowster

Post by slowster »

If you have an MTB for which a frame kit specific to your bike is available from Invisiframe, buy that.

Otherwise if buying a roll of tape, 3M 8671HS is reckoned to be the best product. I think it's a bit thicker and tougher than the 3M Ventureshield product used by Invisiframe, but it is much trickier to apply to anything other than a simple uniform round tube. When cutting 3M 8671HS, always put a radius on the corners, because the tape is likely to lift off and start peeling away from a square cut corner.

Some bike shops and other places sell short rolls and lengths of 3M 8671HS, but if you want to cover more than just small vulnerable areas the three metre rolls are better value purchased from Viking Tapes.

Invisiframe have a good video which shows how to fit their kits, and much of it is relevant to applying 3M 8671HS tape as well.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Many Thanks

Where on a frame would you suggest putting it?

Simon
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
PH

Post by PH »

st599_uk wrote:Many Thanks

Simon

Anywhere there's likely to be some abrasion, for example;
Headtube where the cables touch.
Anywhere you fit a bag strap.
Anywhere you fit a lock or light.
Where the lock normally touches the frame when locked

Plus you could use it as a chainstay protector and anywhere else the frame might get a scuff or knock, some people cover the entire tubes.
I think the invisiframe kit linked above covers most of the bike, I've never gone that far.
Just be aware when you watch any youtube videos that it isn't as easy to apply as the professionals make it look :wink:
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

st599_uk wrote:Many Thanks

Simon

The only place I used it on my last frame was the chainstay and covered the whole length from BB to dropout, much easier to do with a bare frame. I did think about applying some to the bottom of the headtube where the cables contacted but didn't like the fact the edge was visible so went with spiral protecters on the cable outer.
My preference was for Biketape from Biketart but they are still out of stock so looks like I'll be going with the offerings from VikingTapes.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Thinking about doing the top tube and chainstay as I have to lean it against things when out. I also use a derailleur protector after a person on a ferry managed to bend the hanger.
A novice learning...
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

In my experience....It goes on easier, fits better and sticks better if you GENTLY heat the tape and the frame with a heat gun. Same again removing it.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

If one wanted a good length of this - say for a large (17ft6") lightweight kevlar canoe with carbon fibre gunwales, to protect the latter, any recommendations for a supplier?