Campagnolo Centaur 2002 crank arms and bottom brakets removal

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
ajsm1988

Campagnolo Centaur 2002 crank arms and bottom brakets removal

Post by ajsm1988 »

Hello everyone

I have been researching for a long time to find the necessary tools to disassemble the arms and the bottom bracket of my bicycle. I am not an expert and it is taking me a while to get the correct measurements and above all to find groupset information.

The groupset is a Campagnolo Centaur 10 speed, the bicycle is a Cinelli Aliante from 2002. (attached photos). I found this information about the frame (Bottom Bracket - Italian Threaded 36 x 24T) after a huge research due this bike is a limited edition.

I was wondering if you could help me with the choice of tools that I should acquire, since I don't want to spend money unnecessarily.

Thank you very much in advance, I hope you are well.
Attachments
IMG-0989.jpg
IMG-0988.jpg
080E28D6-DBFD-4FD0-B447-E134DB67D74B.JPG
Brucey

Re: Campagnolo Centaur 2002 crank arms and bottom brakets removal

Post by Brucey »

to get the cranks off you will need a crank extractor. To remove the bottom bracket you will need a tool which engages with the cups. This would vary with the type of bottom bracket used. Campagnolo make tools for these purposes but there are others which are cheaper. The thread type is clearly marked on campagnolo bottom bracket parts so you need be in no doubt about what threading your frame/BB uses.

Might I ask why you want to remove the cranks and bottom bracket? In the photos the parts (eg chainrings) do not look as if they have seen a lot of use and the bike doesn't look like it has seen a lot of weather either. If the bottom bracket is the usual (cartridge) one used with Centaur cranks, the unit is sealed and there isn't any maintenance that can be sensibly carried out.

With parts like these if the bike sees much weather there is something to be said for making sure that the BB is not corroding into the frame, but in dry use this isn't a major worry. Most folk wouldn't bother removing parts like these unless they were due for replacement. Buying tools for this purpose is possibly not worthwhile; the bottom bracket may be of a type that is no longer manufactured, and the tool probably won't fit a substitute bottom bracket at all.

If you just want to remove the parts (eg because you intend to fit something different) then you could just get the LBS to remove them.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
drossall

Post by drossall »

Campagnolo provide an exploded diagram (PDF page 5) of your bottom bracket. It's a square-taper sealed unit.

Halfords provide a video of removing a generic sealed unit. You need tools to fit, though most tools fit most square-taper cranks. I've never used a torque wrench for that job - most people would do it by feel.

Century Cycles are quite good on terminology. You're mostly interested in the second unit in the picture near the top, but seeing some of the alternatives (there are loads of others) helps to put it all in context.
scottg

Post by scottg »

Note, that being an Italian bicci, the bottom bracket is right hand threaded on BOTH sides.

The Italian system is much superior, according to Old Potatoe.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
ajsm1988

Post by ajsm1988 »

Hi Brucey

Thanks for your help. I want to remove the bottom brackets and the crank because is bent (not sure if the crank or the bottom brackets). The bike is in perfect condition, but this issue doesn´t let me ride it.

Thanks again
ajsm1988

Post by ajsm1988 »

drossall wrote:Campagnolo provide an exploded diagram (PDF page 5) of your bottom bracket. It's a square-taper sealed unit.

Halfords provide a video of removing a generic sealed unit. You need tools to fit, though most tools fit most square-taper cranks. I've never used a torque wrench for that job - most people would do it by feel.

Century Cycles are quite good on terminology. You're mostly interested in the second unit in the picture near the top, but seeing some of the alternatives (there are loads of others) helps to put it all in context.

Thanks Drossall, really helpful thing. I had a look on it and have found some more information. Thanks
ajsm1988

Post by ajsm1988 »

scottg wrote:Note, that being an Italian bicci, the bottom bracket is right hand threaded on BOTH sides.

The Italian system is much superior, according to Old Potatoe.

Thank you very much for your advice Scottg, I take note of this :wink:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Looking at your bike, your bottom bracket is the type with a completely sealed unit as opposed to the others where you can replace the bearings. Each sort has it's own tool.

The replaceable type uses the same tool that you use for the cassette lockring.
The sealed type .......... like yours .......... needs a special tool.
This one.
https://www.parktool.com/product/bottom ... %20Bracket

Your's is like this:
Screen Shot 2020-05-19 at 14.09.20.png
Mick F. Cornwall
ajsm1988

Post by ajsm1988 »

Mick F wrote:Looking at your bike, your bottom bracket is the type with a completely sealed unit as opposed to the others where you can replace the bearings. Each sort has it's own tool.

The replaceable type uses the same tool that you use for the cassette lockring.
The sealed type .......... like yours .......... needs a special tool.
This one.
https://www.parktool.com/product/bottom ... %20Bracket

Your's is like this:Screen Shot 2020-05-19 at 14.09.20.png

Thanks for your answer Mick

do you know by any chance the right cranck arm puller? thanks in advance
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

FWIW if the chainrings have taken a knock sideways, a skilled mechanic can usually straighten them in situ.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
slowster

Post by slowster »

ajsm1988 wrote:I have been researching for a long time to find the necessary tools to disassemble the arms and the bottom bracket of my bicycle. I am not an expert and it is taking me a while to get the correct measurements and above all to find groupset information.

ajsm1988 wrote: I want to remove the bottom brackets and the crank because is bent (not sure if the crank or the bottom brackets). The bike is in perfect condition, but this issue doesn´t let me ride it.

You say that you " don't want to spend money unnecessarily". Given your lack of knowledge and experience and your apparent hurry to buy tools which are relatively expensive (and which you might never use again) and start dismantling your bike, I think you are very likely to spend money unnecessarily, and possibly even to damage your bike in the process.

I don't mean to be rude or insulting by saying that. Almost all of us on this forum have made mistakes, sometimes extremely expensive ones, and have had to learn the hard way. So I would suggest you tell us a bit more about the exact nature of the problem, and if at all possible post some photographs which show what is out of alignment (ideally from an angle that shows how it is out of alignment in relation to the rest of your bike). We may then be able to help you diagnose the problem, and suggest how best to fix it.

It's very difficult to bend a crank or bottom bracket axle, and Brucey's suggestion of a bent chainring is probably much more common (and does not require the crank or bottom bracket to be removed).
drossall

Post by drossall »

slowster wrote:It's very difficult to bend a crank or bottom bracket axle, and Brucey's suggestion of a bent chainring is probably much more common (and does not require the crank or bottom bracket to be removed).

I'd agree with that much. Whilst Campag Chorus stuff is high-class and deserves care, we all have to start somewhere, and doing your own maintenance is not that hard, and to be encouraged.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Is that crank the self-extracting version? If so then just the correct size Allen key is needed to remove them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxAj-zbynPI
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

cycleruk wrote:Is that crank the self-extracting version?

No. That’s just Campagnolo’s elaborate integrated dust cap.
ajsm1988

Post by ajsm1988 »

slowster wrote:
ajsm1988 wrote:I have been researching for a long time to find the necessary tools to disassemble the arms and the bottom bracket of my bicycle. I am not an expert and it is taking me a while to get the correct measurements and above all to find groupset information.

ajsm1988 wrote: I want to remove the bottom brackets and the crank because is bent (not sure if the crank or the bottom brackets). The bike is in perfect condition, but this issue doesn´t let me ride it.

You say that you " don't want to spend money unnecessarily". Given your lack of knowledge and experience and your apparent hurry to buy tools which are relatively expensive (and which you might never use again) and start dismantling your bike, I think you are very likely to spend money unnecessarily, and possibly even to damage your bike in the process.

I don't mean to be rude or insulting by saying that. Almost all of us on this forum have made mistakes, sometimes extremely expensive ones, and have had to learn the hard way. So I would suggest you tell us a bit more about the exact nature of the problem, and if at all possible post some photographs which show what is out of alignment (ideally from an angle that shows how it is out of alignment in relation to the rest of your bike). We may then be able to help you diagnose the problem, and suggest how best to fix it.

It's very difficult to bend a crank or bottom bracket axle, and Brucey's suggestion of a bent chainring is probably much more common (and does not require the crank or bottom bracket to be removed).

Thanks for your text

I meant that I do not want to buy a tool 3 times because I do not know the correct measure, so I ask here, to do not make mistakes that you have already made, so I prefer to ask those who have experience already. Chainrings have been replaced and still bent, that´s the reason of remove the cranck and try with another one that I have... to check what´s the problem.

Thanks again, and I'm sorry for not wanting to buy tools without knowing which is the correct one.