Chain rivet extractor recommendations (light and portable)

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Farrina

Chain rivet extractor recommendations (light and portable)

Post by Farrina »

Could anyone recommend a portable chain rivet extractor suitable for a 10/11 speed chain ?

Basically, on the off chance that my chain snaps whilst out, I am looking for an emergency extractor to allow me to use a split link. So I guess I am looking for a compact/light device. Its unlikely to see much service (I have a full sized one for home use)

Cheers
keyboardmonkey

Re: Chain rivet extractor recommendations (light and portable)

Post by keyboardmonkey »

I don’t have any experience of this tool - and there are some withering reviews for it - but after faffing about swapping the same Cyclo tool between underseat packs I’ll probably get the Park Tool CT-5.

And if you want something to accompany a multi-tool on a ride, then get the Park Tool CT-5. It’s simply the best pocket chain breaker.

So says Dave Rome from Cycling Tips:

https://cyclingtips.com/2018/10/the-bes ... -reviewed/
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

The Park Tool CT-5 is excellent. Who gave it a bad review? However, I slightly prefer the Topeak Super Chain Tool for taking out on a ride, because its built-in 5 mm and 6 mm Allen keys can reduce the weight of your road toolkit.

Oil the screw! These short levers may defeat you otherwise.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Being able to replace the pin always makes me smile.

Jonathan
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

Samuel D wrote:The Park Tool CT-5 is excellent. Who gave it a bad review?

There are currently 10 one-star reviews on CRC. This sort of thing:

99976A60-CF5A-407B-8BE2-6DB488E85539.jpeg
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

Jdsk wrote:Being able to replace the pin always makes me smile.

Both the CT-5 and the Super Chain Tool have reasonably priced replacement pins.

keyboardmonkey wrote:There are currently 10 one-star reviews on CRC.

Ah. Obvious misuse. The tool is excellent.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

whatever you decide on, make sure it works with the chain you are using. I've come unstuck when the usually great extracter on my Specialized tool failed to move the pin on a Campag 10sp chain, got home and my CT-5 did the job no trouble. :roll:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

Always used "Cyclo".They break down into 3 pieces for packing into a small space,always worked for me.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mick F. Cornwall
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Having used a lot of different chain tools I would recommend the park tool CT5 also. However I have seen the tommy bar slide out instead of being captive; on my own CT5 tool when this happened I swaged the ends of the tommy bar so that it can't come out and be lost.

Provided you have the hand strength to overcome 10s/11s chain pin swaging, with a small tool, CT5 is as good as many workshop tools despite its compact size.

FWIW when you have a chain breakage all you need to do is to pull the side plate off the broken link and for that a small adjustable spanner, pair of pliers or w.h.y. will do; most chain sideplates are not at all resistant to wiggling or bending. Any chain tool, regardless of how feeble it is, is usually sufficient to push the pin out of the inner side plates, once the outer side plate is gone.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
whoof

Post by whoof »

I have a CT5 and it's good also a Cyclo and that also works fine

Don't buy a Jobsworth one from Planet X I got one so I wouldn't need to keep swapping seat packs between bikes. Even at 99p it was over priced as it just didn't work.
PH

Post by PH »

I've never used the much recommended CT5 to compare (Or any chain over 9spd), but I do like the Topeak Super Chain Tool, not least because it also contains a 5 & 6mm allen keys.
https://www.topeak.com/global/en/produc ... chain-tool
I don't like to big it up too much, but after I'd had one for a couple of years I realised I was using it in preference to the big Park Tools workshop tool and so sold that and bought a spare Topeak.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

I got caught out as my long standing chain tool doesn’t fit 11 speed chains. I had to invest in an 11 speed specific one for the smaller diameter rivets. The one I bought is a top peak multi tool ratchet rocket. Only had to use the chain cutter once but worked fine. If you use one lots a more robust workshop version might be better, but this is a good saddlebag tool.
RickH

Post by RickH »

I really like my Topeak Super Chain Tool. In fact, after I first used it, I found it was much better than my Cyclo one so I've used the Topeak one at home ever since (out on the road I've only ever needed to use it on other people's bike) . The little double ended wire hook, which came with it, that holds the ends of the chain together is surprisingly useful.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

I imagine that the 1 star reviews for the ct5 resulted from people using the link loosener shelf to try to split the chain. In actual fact a lot of the more expensive workshop tools have ditched this extra shelf assuming that nobody uses that sort of chain anymore, so it's good to have one around even in a workshop.