Pannier Advice

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Jamesh

Re: Pannier Advice

Postby Jamesh » 25 May 2020, 8:38am

Correct

Cheers James

AndyCr15

Postby AndyCr15 » 4 Jun 2020, 12:16pm

Hi all, someone please advise... I don't think my pannier rack is the right one. I ordered the disc version, as my bike has disc brakes. The main difference looks to be big blocks at the bottom where it attaches to the bike -

But these mean I have to almost stretch the rack out to fit onto the frame.

Then... the top two silver struts wont reach to the outside unless I only use one bolt to hold it on. This can't be right?

I've taken it back off as I assume this is not correct. Can anyone confirm for me please? (And maybe link to the correct one I need :) )

Thanks!

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 4 Jun 2020, 12:42pm

It’s not unusual to have to spring the rack open to get a fit at the axle area. The two stays often need a bit of a bend as well.
I think this video demonstrates the bend. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXzXhkpcKoE
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

AndyCr15

Postby AndyCr15 » 4 Jun 2020, 12:59pm

Thanks, okay, so I'm happy enough about the bend, but I feel I'd be better of with this version - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Icqm0l6WJ4

In the video you link, it clearly goes on quite easily (aside the bend) but if you imaging the fitting from the video I post, all of a sudden add in a good 1-2cm of block, that's quite a lot of bend to make it fit.

andrewwillans49

Postby andrewwillans49 » 4 Jun 2020, 5:08pm

I bought exactly the same disc specific rack. I had to spring mine out to fit the frame at the bottom of the seatstays and the top fittings I bent with pliers to enable two bolts per strut rather than one. I think one bolt per strut would be fine though.
As many bikes vary in width, especially at the top of the seatstays, it's inevitable that some "fettling" is likely to make the struts fit. They're relatively thin and quite malleable for this reason. Load is mainly transferred to the bottom rack legs then to the bottom of the seatstays via 5mm bolts. All seems pretty robust so far.

gregoryoftours

Postby gregoryoftours » 4 Jun 2020, 11:59pm

I might be wrong and would have to go and visually check, but off the top of my head I think that disc specific racks are designed to clear calipers mounted on the top side of the seat stay. Increasingly disc calipers are fitted inside the rear triangle in the corner between the seat stay and chain stay, and a disc specific rack is generally unnecessary in that case.